Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield washer hose
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Qmodo914
Hello all,
For my 73' 914 the hoses for the washer system are leaking and I can't get any pressure from the pump. I thought I would replace them but everything is so buried. Do I have to pull the gas tank? Is there some other way for me to do this?

FlacaProductions
Greetings and welcome.

Do you have an actual pump - the stock system on a 4 is powered by the air from the spare tire - perhaps your spare is below the pressure where the valve cuts it off ensuring that your spare doesn't go flat from excessive windshield washing.

If it's a powered pump - that's a different set of issues.

As to the hoses - https://914rubber.com/water-squirter-hose-kit-of-6-1

You can search the forum here - lots of info on this issue.
bbrock
FYI, I have not had luck with the 914Rubber hose on my tire-powered washer. Even after soaking the hose ends in boiling water per instructions before pushing onto to the fittings, I cannot get the leg from the tire to bottle to seal against the 42 psi max pressure. The hose works fine downstream of the bottle though. I have yet to source correct hose. Very frustrating.
wonkipop
i got good quality hose from a company called Clark Rubber here in Australia.
its all holding up at full pressure.

its a bugger of a job to do with fuel tank in i think.
i had the fuel tank out for other business.

i rebuilt everything in exact duplication of stoopid VW details including sleeves over nipple connections. got a lot of boiling water blisters doing it. but it works.

and now i get to enjoy watching it dribble at the windscreen and flatten the spare tyre and each time it does i remind myself that americans were landing on the moon at the same time as they were screwing this together in the karmann plant smile.gif beerchug.gif

i guess its not that different to buzz aldrin sticking his texta in the broken circuit breaker.
Qmodo914
I do have a pump installed....done years ago. Due to my setup, I don't have a spare as I moved the battery into the front trunk to accommodate a 6 during a rebuild.
It never was very good, just dribbled water at the windscreen. My mechanic had the gas tank out to replace a wiper motor last year and it appears that he never checked the washer system...my bad really as I rarely drove in the rain and what you don't use you lose it seems. I did try searching posts but got many random things. I can see it's a bigger job I will save for the winter.

Thanks for your input

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.