Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hub Inserts - '74 Wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ctc911ctc
'74 2.0

I am down to the final parts of the rebuild, Tires and wheels.

I will be sending the wheels out for new rubber, a cleaning. mounting and balancing. I would hate to put these hubs back on........however, they are original so I will keep them and try and clean em up.

Click to view attachment

Anyone pioneer a method of de-denting these? Polishing, etc? I want them to look like this!

Click to view attachment
mepstein
Mahle’s are very soft cast wheels. They are often dented or flat spotted from potholes or curbs. You can get them fixed but the cost will be the same or more than a nice set of 4 lug Fuchs (that are forged and much more durable)
Shivers
Are we talking about the center caps? If so there is a place to have them restored. I saw someone on here that had some fixed.
mepstein
QUOTE(Shivers @ Aug 5 2021, 09:41 PM) *

Are we talking about the center caps? If so there is a place to have them restored. I saw someone on here that had some fixed.

I think your right. My mistake.
You can buy new ones (stainless steel)!from Porsche for about what it cost to have your old ones repaired. Or buy aluminum reproductions from 914rubber.
MM1
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 5 2021, 08:32 PM) *

Mahle’s are very soft cast wheels. They are often dented or flat spotted from potholes or curbs. You can get them fixed but the cost will be the same or more than a nice set of 4 lug Fuchs (that are forged and much more durable)

Another priceless tip - thank you, Sir!

Sad though - as these are one of my favorite 4-lug wheels (along with ATS and the Italian/Lambo-looking ones).
mepstein
QUOTE(MM1 @ Aug 5 2021, 10:09 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 5 2021, 08:32 PM) *

Another priceless tip - thank you, Sir!

Sad though - as these are one of my favorite 4-lug wheels (along with ATS and the Italian/Lambo-looking ones).

They are nice. Just don't buy a set without having them checked out first.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.