Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Raised spindles, got a problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mlindner
As my 914-6 GT Tribute comes alive and some test driving....Front suspension seems a little stiff? After setting ride height, camber/caster/toe I notice a large dent/cut into the strut dust cover. So, with raised spindles, lowered car....the front strut with raised brake line bracket is slamming into the dust shield. Does the dust shield need to be cut down or just remove. Best, Mark
Root_Werks
Scratching my head on this one. Got a picture we can look at?
Freezin 914
Hi Mark, glad to hear you have an engine in the car and are to the point of shake down runs. Last time I had seen your car it was a roller. Some pictures of your strut issue and maybe a few pictures of the car on the ground. I sure there are more than a few who would like to see a picture of your car currently. I hope you get your answers here soon.
beerchug.gif
Retroracer
Mark - if you're referring to the "coke can" which slips over the top of the strut to protect the exposed rod, then that should not be impacted by a dropped spindle mod. Couple of points:

1) how much was the drop? and
2) pics would really help!

- Tony
mlindner
Yes, it is the coke can, spindles only raised 19mm and the car is just a little lower than stock?
Shivers
I will be raising mine, I've been doing lots of reading about it. This is the first time I've seen this pop up. They talk about raising the bracket how ever much you raised the spindle. Now that I know about this, I'll probably run a boot
ChrisFoley
It depends on how the spindles were raised.
But no matter how, the bracket should end up at the same distance from the spindle as stock.
mlindner
Yes Chris you are correct. Bracket raised same as spindle for stock hard brake line. The picture shows car coming back from the body shop after a little accident with the hood. You can see that it is not overly lowered. Best, MarkClick to view attachment
ChrisFoley
You must not have any bump rubber on those struts. If you did I don't think it could collapse far enough to hit the bracket. However, when you do hit the bracket, chances are the shock is bottoming at the same time.
Literati914
popcorn[1].gif

I’d planned this as a future project, let us know what you discover, good luck.

Krieger
Trim 1.5” inches off the bottom of the dust cover. I did this on my street car. It will also allow you to recheck the torque on the shock nut when the struts are in full droop.

Click to view attachment
mlindner
Thanks Chris and Krieger, I took four inches off the rust cover/coke can. The rubber bump stops are still in place, then raised the car in the front a tad. Then set rear toe to in instead of out. All looks good. Mark
Literati914
Still though, I’ve never heard of these needing to be trimmed so I wonder why this is needed on your set? Also, I was thinking you could cut 1”-2” mayyybe but 4” seems like a lot... then you needed to raise the front over what it already was? Sure the spindles weren’t already raised?.. or are you sure the part that was cut out was then welded back to the area bellow the spindle?
mlindner
Not sure either. They do just fit inside 15 inch rims (so 19mm). Purchased from Rich Johnson some eight years ago. Car suspension points all stock. I took off 4 inch but was told I could just remove all leaving the top to retain the bumper stop. Front and rear Koni shocks with rear adjustable coil overs from Ground Control. All very nice stuff. Will have on the road in a few days, will update. Mark
Cairo94507
19mm is the maximum you can raise the stock spindles to still fit 15" rims. I wish I would have only raised mine 17mm so that I would not have any issues with wheel balancing weights. With mine at 19mm I make sure to tell them to balance inside of where the strut bottom comes close to the rim. I do all 4 wheels that way so there are no mistakes.
mlindner
Cairo94507, yes 19mm almost hit the rim. As a 6-GT Tribute I added 20mm spacers up front to fill the fenders and the rim issue went away. Mark
Cairo94507
Yup, sorry, I forgot your car had flares. Yeah, the 20mm spacers would absolutely resolve that issue. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.