Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine build help please, spare spring
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ddire333
After getting my 74 2.0 short block together, I find I have an extra spring, which I did label but now cant read what i wrote.

I have check and have springs in the main and aux oil pressure relief, and this is not the right size for those from what I can tell, also have in the distributor, again different size.

So i'm hoping an experienced engine builder can guide me what this 4th spring is for?

thanks

Click to view attachment
adolimpio
You didn't happen to have a transmission apart at the same time? Looks like a spring from the shift detent lock mechanism.
worn
QUOTE(ddire333 @ Aug 6 2021, 01:02 PM) *

After getting my 74 2.0 short block together, I find I have an extra spring, which I did label but now cant read what i wrote.

I have check and have springs in the main and aux oil pressure relief, and this is not the right size for those from what I can tell, also have in the distributor, again different size.

So i'm hoping an experienced engine builder can guide me what this 4th spring is for?

thanks

Click to view attachment

Any chance it regulates oil pressure within the case?
ddire333
QUOTE(adolimpio @ Aug 7 2021, 12:56 AM) *

You didn't happen to have a transmission apart at the same time? Looks like a spring from the shift detent lock mechanism.

Thanks that might be it, yes I re-sealed the trans about the same time so had the shift mech out to do the seals, will look to see if I missed it!

Shivers
I really can't tell the size, but could it be the dizzy spring?
ddire333
Its not the dizzy or either of the 2 oil pressure springs as took them all out and confirmed I had put the springs in, so trans is next thing i need to check, I kept the trans parts separate but maybe I mixed this one up with the engine stuff.
930cabman
I would try one of two options:
1. are you old?
2. do you have kids?

best of luck
ddire333
Well re checked the trans, it was a few months ago when I changed the seals so needed to refresh memory, but now I'm sure I didn't go near the detent.

So one extra 38 mm oily spring oily remains??

Was adding a extra spring to one of the oil pressure reliefs ever a mod my engine might have came with?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.