Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AC Idea?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ClayPerrine
Roof mounted AC.

Just mount it to a spare targa top.

Click to view attachment

It pulls 48 amps, so you will need to put a bigger alternator on the car, but other than that, no mods necessary. Great for those who want to be able to drive in the hot parts of the country, but have an unmolested car.

Weighs 75lbs.

https://www.amazon.com/Douglas-D20-Rooftop-...mcx_mr_hp_atf_m

Clay

mb911
That is interesting and actually a value
ClayPerrine
The more I think about it, the more intrigued I am. Run the wires down the targa band to the battery posts, and put a quick disconnect in them inside the cabin next to the seat belt anchor.

Put the "good" top in the trunk. Drive to the event in Air conditioned comfort. Take the AC off, and put the "good" top on. Show the car at the event unmolested. Put the AC top back on for the drive home in Air Conditioned comfort.

I was actually looking for Elwood, our six. I don't want to molest it to put in AC, but we hate driving it in the heat. And there is a lot of heat here in Texas. We have a new top being refinished for it, so I was thinking about the old top.

Classic Retrofit makes a high amp alternator for early 911 engines. That would make up for the amp draw.

https://www.classicretrofit.com/products/po...150a-alternator

idea.gif
IronHillRestorations
I like it! Seems like a good use for a marginal looking old roof
tygaboy
Interesting!

The Amazon link call out a weight 100lb. I'm no structural engineer but even at 75lb, it seems like the top would need some reinforcement?
No biggie to do, just thinking it'd be a good idea.

And any concerns about that additional load on the windshield frame? Granted, the top being on helps, just noodling on what it'd take to make this work.

I know you'll keep us posted, thanks!
PanelBilly
Do it!
mepstein
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Aug 8 2021, 11:17 AM) *

Interesting!

The Amazon link call out a weight 100lb. I'm no structural engineer but even at 75lb, it seems like the top would need some reinforcement?

And any concerns about that additional load on the windshield frame? Granted, the top being on helps, just noodling on what it'd take to make this work.

Unit weight is 75, shipped weight is 110.
mepstein
I bet the slight awkwardness of seeing it on the roof wood disappear quickly once you enjoy the air conditioned comfort. Besides the heavy duty alternator, install would be minimal work. I hope you try it out and let us know.
Long_ago
I did this in 1975.
Living in centeal CA the heat was challenging.
The downside was the cold air is right on top of your head and shoulder

And does not circulate in the cabin very well.

I'd also paint the roof a lighter color.

76-914
Click to view attachment

av-943.gif
fixer34
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 8 2021, 09:35 AM) *

Roof mounted AC.

Just mount it to a spare targa top.

Click to view attachment

It pulls 48 amps, so you will need to put a bigger alternator on the car, but other than that, no mods necessary. Great for those who want to be able to drive in the hot parts of the country, but have an unmolested car.

Weighs 75lbs.

https://www.amazon.com/Douglas-D20-Rooftop-...mcx_mr_hp_atf_m

Clay

Did you check the measurements of this unit? Says 27-5/8" deep.
I just put a tape measure to my top and there is only 24" from the front seal to the targa bar. It looks like there is an 'inside' part also with the vents and controls that would interfere with the bar.
Mikey914
Interesting
As we are making a new structural roof for the new clear tops. It might be a good way to make a spare roof.
I could do in carbon fiber. I may have to play.
tygaboy
I'm thinking you could add some sort of rack to help disguise it.
JamesM
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Aug 8 2021, 07:17 AM) *

Interesting!

Also listed is the fact that it is over 7 1/2" high.

914s are only 48" high to being with. That would be an odd looking roof
mepstein
QUOTE(JamesM @ Aug 8 2021, 02:29 PM) *

Interesting!

Initially the look would give me pause but once you are in the car, you get to enjoy cool air. It has the possibility of turning a brutally hot trip into something fun and comfortable. The part owner of the Porsche shop where I used to work lives in Huston TX. He has put electric A/C into many of his Porsches. Otherwise, they are just too uncomfortable for him to drive in the Texas summer. This unit has the advantage of going back to a stock look in minutes.
second wind
Hey guys.....I love air conditioning and have it on in my S-10 all day and pretty much all night as well when driving at night. I live in Los Angeles and it has been very hot here lately. I do not drive my 914 on hot days (basically all summer) except before noon. Even then that is pushing it. So, the question I have is how does your poor little 4 cylinder air cooled engine feel about you staying cool on the inside while it is pushing the heat limits being driven in the heat? I don't want to do another engine rebuild ....plus hearing those valve seats coming loose is really bothersome. We should think of a way to air condition our engine compartments and maybe sneak a hose up to the cabin. I love A/C as I said but not at the expense of my engine. Thanks for your time.
gg
bandjoey
And suddenly I'm $4000 poorer - unit + alternator + roof + ?
vs. about $2600 for the complete Classic Air & alternator 914 a/c kit
Am I missing something here?

1975 Porsche 914-4 LHD Air Conditioning System

$1,875.00
CLASSIC DESIGNED ALL IT’S SYSTEMS FROM THE GROUND-UP… USING MODERN DAY OEM SYSTEMS AS THE BASELINE FOR PERFORMANCE.

This Model-Specific RetroFit™ system has been specifically engineered to convert a factory heat-only 1975 Porsche 914-4 LHD to full climate control. Like all RetroFit™ kits, each component was either specifically designed, or carefully chosen to fit your vehicle. This kit is complete and contains what you’ll need to get modern day, high performance A/C into your classic 1975 Porsche 914-4 LHD. Classic Auto Air is the only manufacturer with a complete system for your 1975 Porsche 914-4 LHD, and we have lots of engine compartment upgrades available.

All installation kits include detailed, step-by-step instructions, and customizing is a breeze. Plus no special tools are required and every system has the best warranty you'll find anywhere.
mepstein
The high power alternator that clay linked is for a six engine. I believe the attraction for this kit is the ability to install and remove in minutes.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Aug 8 2021, 04:39 PM) *

And suddenly I'm $4000 poorer - unit + alternator + roof + ?
vs. about $2600 for the complete Classic Air & alternator 914 a/c kit
Am I missing something here?

1975 Porsche 914-4 LHD Air Conditioning System

$1,875.00
CLASSIC DESIGNED ALL IT’S SYSTEMS FROM THE GROUND-UP… USING MODERN DAY OEM SYSTEMS AS THE BASELINE FOR PERFORMANCE.

This Model-Specific RetroFit™ system has been specifically engineered to convert a factory heat-only 1975 Porsche 914-4 LHD to full climate control. Like all RetroFit™ kits, each component was either specifically designed, or carefully chosen to fit your vehicle. This kit is complete and contains what you’ll need to get modern day, high performance A/C into your classic 1975 Porsche 914-4 LHD. Classic Auto Air is the only manufacturer with a complete system for your 1975 Porsche 914-4 LHD, and we have lots of engine compartment upgrades available.

All installation kits include detailed, step-by-step instructions, and customizing is a breeze. Plus no special tools are required and every system has the best warranty you'll find anywhere.

Bill,
The cost is not the thing here.. it is for those of us that own a 914 that never had AC, and we don't want to cut it up to put AC in it. This would be removable in seconds and doesn't require cutting up the chassis.

Clay
914sgofast2
QUOTE(Long_ago @ Aug 8 2021, 09:10 AM) *

I did this in 1975.
Living in centeal CA the heat was challenging.
The downside was the cold air is right on top of your head and shoulder

And does not circulate in the cabin very well.

I'd also paint the roof a lighter color.

I would think that the ceiling vents could be configured / remodeled/ redone to blow all the cold air forward toward the windshield, rather than directly down onto the heads and shoulders of the occupants. After all, it’s going to be a custom installation in a 914.
914sgofast2
QUOTE(JamesM @ Aug 8 2021, 11:29 AM) *

Interesting!

Put a cargo rack around it as camouflage and go for a 914 Safari look?
JeffBowlsby
Looks like the inside panel hangs down 2-3 inches from the roof? Deal killer in our headroom challenged cars.
mepstein
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Aug 8 2021, 09:51 PM) *

Looks like the inside panel hangs down 2-3 inches from the roof? Deal killer in our headroom challenged cars.

Not for Clay.
914sgofast2
I find this self contained rooftop AC very intriguing. I have a spare targa roof onto which I was going to permanently mount a Safari style luggage rack. Such a rack would disguise the unit by making it appear as a piece of “Luggage” on the rack.

It would avoid having to cut out my 1970 914’s “virgin’“ trunk floor and cut holes in the front cowling and/or fender well for AC hoses. Plus no cutting needed in the engine compartment, and no AC compressor to interfere with timing the engine, removing the distributor, or adding oil to the engine, not to mention not having to drop the engine to replace the AC compressor belt.

The only holes needed would be small holes for the wiring to power the rooftop AC unit through the firewall or targa wall. With a little custom design, it could be a plug and play unit. A 48 amp/hour draw is not a big deal if you run a high output alternator as sold by our 914 World vendors.

A few weeks ago I bought one of those $200 Chinese AC compressors sold on Amazon with the intention of mounting it in the frunk and hooking it up to the
‘“vintage old school” 914 AC evaporator and condenser system (unwanted by many) that I had been collecting for free from others for a few years.

Since this self contained unit will cool a 500 cubic foot area, you could make ice cubes in a 914’s interior if you ran the AC long enough!
mgp4591
Would it be feasible to temporarily mount it to the engine cover, use a modified rain tray with a duct and spout to feed a bellows hose to one of the longs heat hookups and use the stock airbox fan to run the cool air through the vent system? Just spitballin' here...
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 8 2021, 09:11 PM) *

QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Aug 8 2021, 09:51 PM) *

Not for Clay.

finger.gif
Shivers
Check out the compact cooler 5 lite ..25.35 lbs.

https://www.webasto-comfort.com/fileadmin/w...5_SpecSheet.pdf

Compact Cooler 5 Lite
n Specially designed to air-condition small spaces/cabs (e.g., gurney area in ambulance vehicles)
n Low power consumption
n Lightweight
n Specially tested for ambulance vehicles in accordance with DIN EN standard 1789
arbitrary
99% sure the compact cooler 5 uses a separate compressor and lines - it’s not a self contained unit. The fact that it only draws 13A at 12V is a bit of a giveaway - you won’t get much cooling from 156W.
Shivers
Yup, darn it, you are right. Aviation may have something light

@arbitrary
Root_Werks
QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 8 2021, 09:29 AM) *

agree.gif

Was kinda thinking the same thing. Would look like a dunce cap! dry.gif
AZBanks
The only thing I had to cut on my car was the passenger side engine tin.

I did not cut the trunk. I did not cut holes for the AC lines.

I don't have heat and my AC lines are running up the passenger side heater tube.

I don't know if the system I built will fit with a tall intake system.
76-914
I wonder how loud that would be sitting atop a 12 sq ft fiberglass speaker membrane? confused24.gif I know everyone wants an "easy to install" AC system like people in Hell want ice water but an install isn't the hack job it once was. There are a few rotary compressors posted on this site that I've seen mounted and they look pretty good. Or Keith's @914toy and @Steve electric frunk system looks to be a clean install as well. If you have a conversion the compressor is a piece of cake as is the condenser install. And your evaporator should include a heater circuit. The air-cooled guys will retain the stock heaters. Regardless of which of these 3 approaches you go there will be 3 small holes drilled/punched for the evaporator. One for the drain and two for the freon lines. Quite frankly I think the electric compressor is the way to go for the stock 914's. If you have a water cooled conversion then the standard AC system with the factory compressor makes the most sense. When considering AC for your teener think of it like a high end tool purchase. You can go the cheap route and regret that decision later or bite the bullet and buy the more expensive tool and enjoy it for years to come. Plan on $1500-$2000 for parts & materials.
Now here is the good news. This is a job that most of you are capable of doing in a couple of weekends with basic tools. There are a few of us here that have the crimping tools to loan you and you can go to your local mechanic to pull a vacuum on the system then fill with freon if there are no leaks. That runs about $100-$200 depending upon your location. Unless your garage is air conditioned winter is a good time to do one of these installs. beerchug.gif
76-914
QUOTE(AZBanks @ Aug 9 2021, 04:19 PM) *

The only thing I had to cut on my car was the passenger side engine tin.

I did not cut the trunk. I did not cut holes for the AC lines.

I don't have heat and my AC lines are running up the passenger side heater tube.

I don't know if the system I built will fit with a tall intake system.

I'd forgotten about your set up. I hope it works well because that would entice quite a few to add AC. Hopefully you'll have it working this summer. beerchug.gif
Steve
QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 9 2021, 04:49 PM) *

I wonder how loud that would be sitting atop a 12 sq ft fiberglass speaker membrane? confused24.gif I know everyone wants an "easy to install" AC system like people in Hell want ice water but an install isn't the hack job it once was. There are a few rotary compressors posted on this site that I've seen mounted and they look pretty good. Or Keith's @914toy and @Steve electric frunk system looks to be a clean install as well. If you have a conversion the compressor is a piece of cake as is the condenser install. And your evaporator should include a heater circuit. The air-cooled guys will retain the stock heaters. Regardless of which of these 3 approaches you go there will be 3 small holes drilled/punched for the evaporator. One for the drain and two for the freon lines. Quite frankly I think the electric compressor is the way to go for the stock 914's. If you have a water cooled conversion then the standard AC system with the factory compressor makes the most sense. When considering AC for your teener think of it like a high end tool purchase. You can go the cheap route and regret that decision later or bite the bullet and buy the more expensive tool and enjoy it for years to come. Plan on $1500-$2000 for parts & materials.
Now here is the good news. This is a job that most of you are capable of doing in a couple of weekends with basic tools. There are a few of us here that have the crimping tools to loan you and you can go to your local mechanic to pull a vacuum on the system then fill with freon if there are no leaks. That runs about $100-$200 depending upon your location. Unless your garage is air conditioned winter is a good time to do one of these installs. beerchug.gif

blink.gif confused24.gif I don't get it either. There are 12v electric compressors on the market that you can install in the front trunk. Click on my Blog in my signature for more information popcorn[1].gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Steve @ Aug 9 2021, 08:13 PM) *

blink.gif confused24.gif I don't get it either. There are 12v electric compressors on the market that you can install in the front trunk. Click on my Blog in my signature for more information popcorn[1].gif

I have a factory six that has never been cut for AC. There are no good compressor mounts for a six, and I don't want to alter the chassis to accommodate an AC condenser or evaporator.

My idea would make it completely removable in minutes, and no visible alterations at all.

I am modifying my six conversion to add AC. I am using an electric compressor. But that method is not going to work on an unmolested factory six.

Clay
Steve
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 10 2021, 07:29 AM) *

I have a factory six that has never been cut for AC. There are no good compressor mounts for a six, and I don't want to alter the chassis to accommodate an AC condenser or evaporator.

My idea would make it completely removable in minutes, and no visible alterations at all.

I am modifying my six conversion to add AC. I am using an electric compressor. But that method is not going to work on an unmolested factory six.

Clay

That makes sense. I replaced the front trunk floor with PMS louvered panels. I also had to cut GT like holes on the passenger side to run the hoses. As well as holes to mount the compressor. I am curious how that roof top unit will still fit in the trunk with the top. The area between the top and the trunk lid is very limited.
76-914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 10 2021, 07:29 AM) *

Clay

If you have AC on the modified 6 you won't need AC on the factory 6. You can only drive one at a time. Do the electric compressor on Betty's car then you'll both have AC. You definitely need AC in TX. No if's, ands or buts about that. Go ahead and do the roof AC then report back how well it works. Might as well light the thing up and put "Pizza Delivery" on it. lol-2.gif JK. If someone goes this route, removing/installing the top it will not be a one man job. beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment
914sgofast2
The seller says the interior vent and control panel is 27” x 17”. Too big?
live free & drive
You could mount two or three of these on the roof and have 4600 BTU's of cooling and less weight and size.

It would run at 24 amps and not require the inner roof plate. One would need to CAD up and 3D print or create a fiberglass shell.

https://www.rigidhvac.com/store/products/ri...910e-ac-12v-pro

ClayPerrine
Betty's car always has had working AC. I am going to improve it when I put it back in the car. It won't be an electric compressor, but I am going to improve the condenser efficiency and a small rotary compressor top mounted on the engine so I don't have to cut the engine shelf.

As for adding AC to the six, this is still a discussion. I definitely don't want to cut it up to put in AC, so I am considering all possibilities. And this is the leading candidate at this time. And no, it won't fit in the rear trunk with the AC attached to the top.

Clay
PCH
Here's a pic of my DIY summer roof air conditioner:Click to view attachment
AZBanks
QUOTE(PCH @ Aug 10 2021, 01:10 PM) *

Here's a pic of my DIY summer roof air conditioner:Click to view attachment

Can you swing by Phoenix this week and we will "stress test" your system?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.