Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Celette frame bench fixtures - Help !
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TB73
$500 reward for a solid tip that leads me to finding a set of Celette 914 fixtures. There has to be a set in this country somewhere.
Thank you in advance
todd@toddboydhomes.com
808-283-8722

Todd
914Sixer
Somebody was in the process of making some but I do not remember the details.
Literati914
@TB73

Here:

https://www.restoration-design.com/store/product/914FIXTURE

Need my pay pal acct ?

TB73
If only it was that easy
arbitrary
I’m guessing you chased down the various people/shops in this thread to no avail? http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-914...jig-needed.html
SirAndy
As linked above RD makes (made?) reproduction fixtures.

Before you pull the trigger on those though, please chat with Peter @peteyd to make sure they have been updated.

I went through a lengthy (and costly) process of getting one of their early sets and had to send it back and get a refund because some of the parts weren't correct.
dry.gif

TB73
I have spoken with Armando , we have similar cars . And yes I have heard the sets from RD had some issues . The gentleman who got back to me and said I was searching for Santa Claus riding a Unicorn was the most accurate so far.
Celette claiming they may make these again at some point …. ?
fiacra
There was somebody local in the Bay Area about a year ago trying to sell on craigslist a set of Celette jigs, including a set for the 914. Not sure what they had, and frankly I would have no idea what I was looking at, but I passed that information on to another member who was interested and when last we were in touch I was going to go take pictures for them but that was where we left things and I never heard what happened. The posting expired and has not reappeared, but that doesn't always mean they were sold. My impression was that these were sitting in a warehouse that they were slowly clearing out.

That other member did get their contact information (email and phone number) and may still have it. You can try and contact him or her directly and see if they still have that contact information and maybe that person still has the jigs. I'm happy to go "bird dog" and take pictures of what they have should this work out. No reward needed. The member I was in touch with was @Luke M
SirAndy
QUOTE(fiacra @ Aug 10 2021, 08:56 AM) *

There was somebody local in the Bay Area about a year ago trying to sell on craigslist a set of Celette jigs, including a set for the 914. Not sure what they had, and frankly I would have no idea what I was looking at, but I passed that information on to another member who was interested and when last we were in touch I was going to go take pictures for them but that was where we left things and I never heard what happened. The posting expired and has not reappeared, but that doesn't always mean they were sold. My impression was that these were sitting in a warehouse that they were slowly clearing out.

That other member did get their contact information (email and phone number) and may still have it. You can try and contact him or her directly and see if they still have that contact information and maybe that person still has the jigs. I'm happy to go "bird dog" and take pictures of what they have should this work out. No reward needed. The member I was in touch with was @Luke M

I had offered to go and look at those but ended up not to because of the pandemonium.
idea.gif
TB73
Fiacra
Thank you …. In my research I did see that old ad for a set for sale in the Bay Area ( yr or so ago ) ……… but I don’t know who bought them.
I did reach out to LukeM

Seems to me there are 2 types of buyers for these fixtures , the shops who once they get a set never release them …. Or guys like me who really don’t want to own them any longer than they need them .

Like with many rare Porsche bits , 5 copies would probably saturate the demand …. So Celette won’t tool up to make them . Why these could not be scanned and cut from billet alum I don’t know ??
The tub ways weighs 1000 pounds … it’s not a 59’ Caddy .. seems the hardened steel they are made from is maybe over kill
fiacra
QUOTE(TB73 @ Aug 10 2021, 09:17 AM) *

Fiacra
Thank you …. In my research I did see that old ad for a set for sale in the Bay Area ( yr or so ago ) ……… but I don’t know who bought them.
I did reach out to LukeM

Seems to me there are 2 types of buyers for these fixtures , the shops who once they get a set never release them …. Or guys like me who really don’t want to own them any longer than they need them .

Like with many rare Porsche bits , 5 copies would probably saturate the demand …. So Celette won’t tool up to make them . Why these could not be scanned and cut from billet alum I don’t know ??
The tub ways weighs 1000 pounds … it’s not a 59’ Caddy .. seems the hardened steel they are made from is maybe over kill

OK, I'm on standby in case this comes to something, although SirAndy has the experience to know what he is looking at. I've always wanted to see Santa Claus on a unicorn, although I'd settle for seeing either of them on their own at a time when I'm not under the influence biggrin.gif
horizontally-opposed
PM sent
JeffBowlsby

Why these could not be scanned and cut from billet alum I don’t know ??

When a bent chassis is on the bench being pulled and stretched back into submission with hydraulic jacks and come-alongs...billet aluminum does not have a chance, thats why.
Luke M
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 10 2021, 09:09 AM) *

QUOTE(fiacra @ Aug 10 2021, 08:56 AM) *

I had offered to go and look at those but ended up not to because of the pandemonium.
idea.gif

Hi Gents,

Yes, I was the guy asking to have some members go look at these for me. Covid did put a hold on things but I did end up buying the 914 fixtures. I currently have them here in my garage and using them under my 914-6.

rick 918-S
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Aug 10 2021, 03:57 PM) *

Why these could not be scanned and cut from billet alum I don’t know ??

When a bent chassis is on the bench being pulled and stretched back into submission with hydraulic jacks and come-alongs...billet aluminum does not have a chance, thats why.

agree.gif the set I have were made by McMark. He set up a straight chassis on his Celette fixtures and made one at a time out of DOM. They are not for crashed cars but work well for chassis rust repair.

The problem with renting them from Celette to repair a rusted car is the weekly rate will kill you. I had a car on mine for 2 years I think. screwy.gif
TB73
Rick
Yes renting from Celette does not pencil , seems with scanning technology being what it is you could get these made ?

My search continues …. Thanks for trying to help
Todd
TB73
Rick
Yes renting from Celette does not pencil , seems with scanning technology being what it is you could get these made ?

My search continues …. Thanks for trying to help
Todd
Arno914
seems the hardened steel they are made from is maybe over kill

The Celette fixtures are actually made from structural steel like S235JR or the like. They are not hardened but very sturdy because of the material thickness and the strong welding.

The 914 jigs are quite sophisticated, heavy and probably not easy to duplicate. The jigs for the early 911 for example are about 30% less weight.

I would try to find someone who is willing to lend them on a private basis.

Good luck!

Arno

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

rick 918-S
Back in the day ..... (Ya I am that old) LOL in my shop we sometimes bolted the fixture to the car and pulled it in place on the bench with 10 tons of force. Sometimes the air over hydraulic pump would chug chug chug or achieve the pull.

What most guys need now are simple light weight fixtures for keeping things aligned during welding.
cary
We built ours strictly for rustoration and welding. Super In Law took about a year
to create the fixtures. ours are mounted on a Blackhawk bench.
We used 3 cars to check and verify the measurements. All 3 bolted up fine.
Except 2 were tweaked in the right front. One up, one down.

About ready to remove a project from the bench in the next week. On goes another to remove a front clip.
peteyd
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 9 2021, 07:43 AM) *

As linked above RD makes (made?) reproduction fixtures.

Before you pull the trigger on those though, please chat with Peter @peteyd to make sure they have been updated.

I went through a lengthy (and costly) process of getting one of their early sets and had to send it back and get a refund because some of the parts weren't correct.
dry.gif

The update on our fixtures is as follows:

Yes there were some parts that were incorrect. I'm sorry to @SirAndy that these were incorrect. We take full responsibility. We took note of the pieces that needed updates and sent those back to our distributor in the Netherlands where the product was made. The shop the work was outsourced to, the owner got seriously sick with cancer I believe and therefore the progress on that project was halted. I believe they are back on working on correcting the fixtures but there is no timeline on when they will be complete.

Once they are complete, I will let the world know, along with pictures of the bench setup with a car to illustrate that the fixtures are correct.

We strive to bring good product to the market. This was a fuch up. We want our customers to be confident in our re-release of this product and therefore we can not rush something back to the market.

Pete

TB73
Peteyd
My project is stuck w/o these fixtures …so I have been beating the bush now for 2 months and I have confirmed everything you just said .
Celette has said they are considering making more sets but honestly less than 10 sets would probably satisfy demand and how could tooling up for 10 sets be profitable?
The front of a 914 is the same as a 911 (comments ?) seems some shops are Macgyvering home made rears …… I have been into old Porsches for over 20 yrs , I’ve hunted a few rare parts in my day …… I’m telling you real 914 Celette fixtures are really scarce
Todd
TB73
Cary
You are in Oregon ? … my GT is w / Kent @ Brosseau Choachworks ( see FB for gory pics ) in Oregon City, OR.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.