Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: repairing flare/quarter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bhfast
ok, here's the deal. the car was in an accident(PO), and the LF flare was ripped off. i got a new flare(fiberglass BTW) and there is a gap between the flare and the fender. i was going to try make a new piece out of sheet metal, weld it on, then mount the new flare. then i got the idea to make a fiberglass mold off of another car and glass it all together. the pics might help.
Brian
bhfast
front
bhfast
another
bhfast
from the back
jonwatts
I'm not a body man, I just hang around them from time to time.

I think if you try to make a fiberglass piece to fit that hole it will be susceptible to cracking at the joint. I would either put metal in or an entire fiberglass quarter.

Someone out there (I can never remember which vendors sell which products) sells the entire quarter panel in fiberglass with the GT flare. That might be less work in the long run but might screw up the corner weights by just a few pounds.

Finally, the driver's front fender is the last one to come off my car for Project: 2TERBOS (webpage coming soon!). I believe it's in pretty good shape, I can send pictures tonight. It's yours if you want it.

Jon
Brad Roberts
Jeez.

He is worse than me: Ranger pickup, Miata, Bike, 914, and a boat.

Sorry I have nothing to offer wisdom wise.

B
Jeroen
Dunno, the gap isn't too clear to me (the replacement sheetmetal makes it hard to see how much is missing)

Unless you're confident you can recreate that shape in metal, I'd say glass it up
Work from the inside out

FWIW...

Jeroen
seanery
I have no experience at all in body work, but if it were my car I'd get another steel fender and attach the flare or fiberglass with flare installed for both sides.

The gap looks f'in huge to me!
rick 918-S
You in a heap O' truble boy, That fender is toast. Do it right the first time and quite playin with it.

This is my recomendation. Buy a complete front fender. replace the whole thing. This will allow you to check panel fit, inner apron fit, and hood alignment. After you finish welding, cut the panel and fit the flare.
GWN7
I agree with Rich. Easiest fix looks like fitting a new fender and starting from there. You will spend more time screwing around trying to patch that hole than you would putting a fender on. If you glass the whole area like it was mentioned b4... cracking. It looks like there isn't any metal to form the new glass area to, so you wouldn't have any strength. If you start welding metal patches (unless you have a fender top to weld in) you will spend more time shaping the bondo to make it match.....
Bleyseng
I'll have to vote to replace the fender too. Way easier to do that and you start with a clean surface and shape to attach the flare onto.
Geoff
bhfast
ok, looks like new fender it is. jon, let me know when you get it off and how much you want for it.
Brian
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.