Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gas heater or A/C
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tracks914
My dash has another dash part under it. It appears to be for the gasoline heater. It appears teh speedometer trip meter is connected through it. Does it look original in the picture?
Can I fit a factory consol under it?
Did the factory make more than one consol type for this purpose?
tracks914
Here is another picture with a home made consol that came with the car.
TheCabinetmaker
looks like the ac unit under the dash. Don't know about the console. Can't see it very well. They several different styles.
Qarl
Yes... that's the dealer installed undermount A/C minus the vents.

The factory console was modified (i.e., chopped) to fit under the A/C unit with a shorter gauge board.

Here is a pic...
tracks914
Mine isn't A/C - up here in Canada it's for the Aux Heater wink.gif
Aaron Cox
huh.gif i didnt know there was a gas heater option huh.gif (scratching head) i thought that ws for AC only- and the stock heater does pretty good (except at idle!)
SirAndy
yepp, gas heater was optional. VW-bus style heater that burns gas to produce hot air. they came with a timer control (round, about 2" dia.) ...

never seen one in a 914 but i had one in a bus and one in a bug.
you set the timer to 15 minutes before you're leaving in the morning and when you get to your car (at -10 temp) the car would be defrosted and had a cozy 70+ inside. it's a gas-guzzler tho.

Andy
Andyrew
I dont think its the factory A/C. Notice 3 vents instead of 4.

Although I have never heard of the gas heater thing blink.gif . Learn something everyday.

Like that passing gas through the car heats things up! laugh.gif
MarkV
Ever see a 914 A/C unit that looks like this? cool_shades.gif
Andyrew
Saw that auction as well, wonder if it works good? I dont see any hole cut in the bumper to allow fresh air, wonder where its comming from?
Mike D.
Dealers installed two different units, VPC & DPD. Those were the brand names IIRC. Both had 4 vents, andyrew I think the 4th vent is there you just can't see it very well in the pic.
The DPD unit also had a little DPD light in between the two vents on the right side.

Tracks914 what is in the floor of your front trunk?

-Mike D.
tracks914
This is the floor of my front trunk.
tracks914
Here is the heater after I removed it. It will not be going back in.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.