Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914rubber Windshield Rubber Problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nihil44
I am about to order the 914rubber windshield rubber for my '76 project car. I have the same rubber seal in my '74 and as the photo shows, it has lifted on the left lower corner.
It was installed 'professionally' and, at the time, the corner was not sitting flat and the remedy was to apply some windshield glue and masking tape and walk away assuring me it would sit flat when the adhesive set. It didn't and it looks fugly.

Is this a known problem and, if so, what is the remedy?

OR

Just a bad install.

I noted @SirAndy posted in another thread entitled 'windshield trim alternative, anyone tried this idea?' that he 'cut in' the lower corners during his install. Was this the remedy for the above problem and what is the technique? Do you simply do a straight relief cut or remove a wedge?

I would appreciate input from the collective experience

nihil44
The other sideClick to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(nihil44 @ Aug 8 2021, 06:04 PM) *
I noted @SirAndy posted in another thread entitled 'windshield trim alternative, anyone tried this idea?' that he 'cut in' the lower corners during his install. Was this the remedy for the above problem and what is the technique? Do you simply do a straight relief cut or remove a wedge?

bkrantz
Just a guess but comparing your left and right corners, it looks like that on the right side the molding sits further out from the glass and body, and the left side sits tighter. This could matter since the outer edge wants to follow as short an arc as possible. If the "crest" of the rubber is pushed in too far, maybe the outer edge will want to flip and bow up.
nihil44
Thanks @SirAndy .

When the time comes I will hand over the judicious cutting task to the "professionals"
IronHillRestorations
Not sure it'll lay down nicely, like Andy's, after it's been stretched around the corner. You might have to get a new trim piece and cut to fit before it's glued in
bandjoey
Perhaps a heat gun and a little massaging to get it flat?
mlindner
I had the same problem and had to remove the windshield. To releve the stress in the corners I cut little wedges out on the inside or backside of the rubber trim so the front would lay flatter. Worked good, wish Mikey would do that as part of the manufacturing. Mark
RiqueMar
I plan on doing this shortly, is there a good resource / instruction guide / video on how to install?

Thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.