Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering Column Play on converted 6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jhynesrockmtn
My GT Clone was built back in the 90's originally out of a few factory 6 donors. It had a Momo wheel on it when I bought it and trying different configurations I'm wondering about how to reduce play in the column and if I have the correct parts in there. I've attached a few pics. If I use the short adapter that came with the removable wheel kit it goes in deep enough to reduce the play by sandwiching in between what looks like a bearing and the column. I have no spring in there. If I use the short hub only the wheel is too far away. Hopefully this makes sense.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
jhynesrockmtn
I was just trying to measure for a spacer and even with the short hub there is a lot of play. what parts am I missing? I've looked at the Auto Atlanta parts diagrams and can see I'm missing a spring but that won't take up the slack with no bearing meeting the column, correct?
mb911
I can't help other then say that with a stock wheel it fits fairly snug in the front bearing which is what I think is your issue. I don't think your adapter fits inside the bearing.
SirAndy
I got one of them to make sure the shaft doesn't wobble inside the bearing.

jhynesrockmtn
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 9 2021, 12:42 PM) *

I'm not getting notifications on replies. Thanks for the photo. Do you have a part number?
914Sixer
Wheel is the centering device for the column.
mb911
I still don't think that's your problem. I think it's your wheel itself is not the right diameter(the part that slides into the column)
DavidSweden
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 9 2021, 11:42 AM) *

Had the same problem, installed a new bush and it fixed it, part 111953535D

jhynesrockmtn
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 18 2021, 08:18 AM) *

I still don't think that's your problem. I think it's your wheel itself is not the right diameter(the part that slides into the column)

Thanks for this idea. I have a couple of Momo hubs but ordered one that states it fits 911 pre 74. Looks like it has a longer extension into the column.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.