Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Endings and Beginnings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LefthandRev
About a month ago, I posted my mid-'69 build 1970 Monte Carlo for trade on Craigslist. I had owned this car since 2012 and it was my second MC. I bought it because it was a good price and because my '75 Porsche 914 exploded due to a fuel line burst...

Well, after years of pining for a 914, lots of body work and silly nonsense with that MC, I decided to try and get another... and yesterday, I officially rejoined the ranks.

The new car has Elephant Racing GT3 front-end suspension, coil-over shocks, Bursch muffler and upgraded heat exchanges, and dual Weber 40s.

I'm excited to dive back in.

Say hello to my 1974 2.0L 914 and farewell to "Elsie," my 1970 Chevrolet Monte Carlo.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Cairo94507
welcome.png Sounds like a nice car to begin with. Please post up some pictures of the GT3 front suspension when you have time. beerchug.gif
Shivers
Elephant has a pretty good write up, something else.

https://www.elephantracing.com/porsche/914/...system-for-914/
mgp4591
Love the steelies! Drop the nose about an inch and she's done! wub.gif
autopro
Looks great, congrats!
rjames
Congrats! Car looks great. Is that the original color? And what are the switches for where the ashtray was?
krazykonrad
welcome.png You made the right decision!
LefthandRev
QUOTE(rjames @ Aug 9 2021, 01:43 PM) *

Congrats! Car looks great. Is that the original color? And what are the switches for where the ashtray was?

From left to right, Fuel pump, blank, Radio.

I don't know why someone would want a switch for the radio, but whatever. The cup holder is useless and too high centered. smile.gif
LefthandRev

The owner believed it was, but when I was under the dash working on the stereo, I could see a bit of red over spray. I'll see if I can find more evidence of this elsewhere, but for now I'm going to assume that black is original.

Also, I see you're in Shoreline. I'm down in Issy. Do we have any 914 clubs/meets in the area?
Jamie
QUOTE(LefthandRev @ Aug 9 2021, 08:39 AM) *

About a month ago, I posted my mid-'69 build 1970 Monte Carlo for trade on Craigslist. I had owned this car since 2012 and it was my second MC. I bought it because it was a good price and because my '75 Porsche 914 exploded due to a fuel line burst...

Well, after years of pining for a 914, lots of body work and silly nonsense with that MC, I decided to try and get another... and yesterday, I officially rejoined the ranks.

The new car has Elephant Racing GT3 front-end suspension, coil-over shocks, Bursch muffler and upgraded heat exchanges, and dual Weber 40s.

I'm excited to dive back in.

Say hello to my 1974 2.0L 914 and farewell to "Elsie," my 1970 Chevrolet Monte Carlo.

IPB Image
IPB Image

Dang, huge image files! There might be some interesting brake mods since the rotors have been modified.
BENBRO02
Black 74 with 2 liter could be a Bumblebee. You should check into it. Probably not because of the tan interior but you never know until you check. welcome.png
rjames
QUOTE(LefthandRev @ Aug 9 2021, 04:19 PM) *

The owner believed it was, but when I was under the dash working on the stereo, I could see a bit of red over spray. I'll see if I can find more evidence of this elsewhere, but for now I'm going to assume that black is original.

Also, I see you're in Shoreline. I'm down in Issy. Do we have any 914 clubs/meets in the area?

There's a northwest contingent that gets together once in a while. Check this thread for local happenings: Teener Tuesday Puget Sound Teeners

You should also come by the John Walker (Porsche) Swap Meet on August 29th, 9-1pm. Elsom Cellars, 2960 4th Ave S, Seattle beer.gif
LefthandRev
QUOTE(BENBRO02 @ Aug 9 2021, 07:36 PM) *

Black 74 with 2 liter could be a Bumblebee. You should check into it. Probably not because of the tan interior but you never know until you check. welcome.png

Funny you say that. I started thinking the same thing this morning.

I found evidence of old red vinyl striping on the door jambs, but cannot find anything yellow. I think it had red pin-stripes at some point. I haven't looked to see if it had the red Porsche strip along the bottom of the doors.

I thought it was not factory original for a few minutes, but I went through it with a fine toothed comb yesterday, picking at every crevice and cranny and nook, but saw no other color other than what the last owner modified: The firewall behind the seats and the bumpers.

Attaching a few more photos. I'll resize them this time. smile.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
LefthandRev
QUOTE(rjames @ Aug 10 2021, 09:26 AM) *

There's a northwest contingent that gets together once in a while. Check this thread for local happenings: Teener Tuesday Puget Sound Teeners

You should also come by the John Walker (Porsche) Swap Meet on August 29th, 9-1pm. Elsom Cellars, 2960 4th Ave S, Seattle beer.gif

I will put it on my calendar. August is my month of no-alcohol (I hate doing it in the winter because it's absolutely criminal to not have a beer after a long day on the mountain), but I think I can end it a couple days early and still achieve what I want. smile.gif

Looking forward to it. I'm also part of a Land Cruiser group called Seattle Cruiserheads, but I haven't attended in ages.
Andyrew
Wow, Now thats some nice suspension!

That looks like a great buy with a solid platform! Congrats!
LefthandRev
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 10 2021, 10:26 AM) *

Wow, Now thats some nice suspension!

That looks like a great buy with a solid platform! Congrats!

It really is night and day over the stock suspension. This car is a much better vehicle than my old '75.
LefthandRev

So, aside from the telltale yellow, are there any other indictors? 2.0, of course...

Edit: It doesn't have the cheek lights. Unless they were deleted, this is just a factory black 2.0, which is fine by me. smile.gif
Craigers17
QUOTE(LefthandRev @ Aug 10 2021, 09:15 PM) *

So, aside from the telltale yellow, are there any other indictors? 2.0, of course...

Edit: It doesn't have the cheek lights. Unless they were deleted, this is just a factory black 2.0, which is fine by me. smile.gif

If it was an LE, it would have had stock front & rear sway bars, Light grey headlight relay covers, black dot gauges, black trim on the sail panels, & no vinyl on the sail panels.

I saw your car on either Ebay or Craigslist about a year ago, and I remembered thinking how much money was invested on just the front suspension alone, and yet the price they were asking was very reasonable. I think it may have had grey wheels at the time?
Very cool car!
Cairo94507
That is some seriously nice front suspension. Had to be a few thousand dollars just for the parts. beerchug.gif
LefthandRev
QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Aug 11 2021, 01:39 AM) *

If it was an LE, it would have had stock front & rear sway bars, Light grey headlight relay covers, black dot gauges, black trim on the sail panels, & no vinyl on the sail panels.

I saw your car on either Ebay or Craigslist about a year ago, and I remembered thinking how much money was invested on just the front suspension alone, and yet the price they were asking was very reasonable. I think it may have had grey wheels at the time?
Very cool car!

Yeah, the suspension without installation is around $6500, all told. I made a deal for that separate to the trade for the Monte Carlo. He said he'd give me the car with stock suspension straight across, or I could give him a little extra for the suspension and call it good.

I am SOOO glad I did that. This car is just far and beyond the stock version.

I remember seeing the grey relay covers on Ian Karr's channel. The relay covers are black. I don't have dot gauges. I only have the rear sway bar (and it's missing the down-arm and bushings on the right side (it's on my list of to-do's)... I think it's safe to say that this isn't a secret LE.

I do wish I could see the original CL/Ebay ad, but whatever. I've got it now and I'm super pleased.

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 11 2021, 05:48 AM) *

That is some seriously nice front suspension. Had to be a few thousand dollars just for the parts. beerchug.gif

And then some. Check out Elephant Racing 914 Suspension.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.