Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Selling strategy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Charles Freeborn
Well here's a turn of events...
Just when I'm narrowing in on having my AJRS built car up to spec to pass tech I find another one. Better built for my needs (SCCA, ICSCC, etc). It's been raced hard and needs maintenance, but when done will be a runner. If it happens I'll run all that down later.

Meanwhile... I'm now looking at selling strategies. My car is refreshed everywhere it matters. Engine, brakes, etc. If all goes well at the end of this weekend I'll have a stamped cage and logbook in hand.

I could either sell the car as a roller and keep engine and trans for new car, roller with trans allowing new owner to go wherever they want for engine ( 4 or 6) or sell as a complete 914/4 2.0L ready to run car. If I net 16 out of it I'd be happy as a complete car. Appropriately less if I keep driveline parts - in short I'd gauge the engine and trans at roughly worth 2k each. I don't want to get into a debate about those numbers at this time - I'm more interested in anyone with experience and their advice on if it's easier to sell a whole car or variations of a roller.

Thanks.
BillJ
Rollers generally sell for a lot less than the sum of their parts. If the car is built to a specific class(es) then that helps a ton as well.
infraredcalvin
Well, I'm in a similar boat, except I'm aiming for a higher total net. I've been hinting at the sale and have had several unsolicited asks (no offers - I think you were one) for the engine alone. Seems everyone has different ideas on chassis value.

I'd start by listing it whole and see where that gets you, your net price seems pretty attractive for a turnkey car, ready to race.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.