Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I’ve made a (not super bad) rusty mistake
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Shackleford
Hello!

I’m new here been lurking for like a year. Finally got a 914. Thought I did it somewhat right. But the car has hell hole rust.

Long story short a, fresh battery tray had been screwed in and hell hole issue was not visible in any of the pics even the ones from under battery tray because some putty or something had been kinda smooshed over it and it was very dirty..anyway I’m dumb I had a local friend of a friend look at car and take pics of usual areas but I missed it and so did he. Owner also totally lied about stuff but that’s a different story.

Anyway, car is sadly mine now and I am wondering if it’s ok to drive it like this for a while? I treated rust with Krud Kutter rust remover and I’m gonna primer it to stop more rust in the VISIBLE areas. I’m gonna see about getting it fixed but can I drive it for the summer you think? Then get it fixed when it starts raining?

The hole on the left closest to the engine is what I discovered. The holes on the bottom and right (exterior side) are what I made with a screwdriver and wire wheel. Those did not exist until I started poking at it. Most of the metal seems pretty solid except those spots at the bottom.

Thanks!

Click to view attachment
914Sixer
Really not bad on the surface. Maybe not so good from the inner bottom side.
Jamie
QUOTE(Shackleford @ Aug 9 2021, 03:16 PM) *

Hello!

I’m new here been lurking for like a year. Finally got a 914. Thought I did it somewhat right. But the car has hell hole rust.

Long story short a, fresh battery tray had been screwed in and hell hole issue was not visible in any of the pics even the ones from under battery tray because some putty or something had been kinda smooshed over it and it was very dirty..anyway I’m dumb I had a local friend of a friend look at car and take pics of usual areas but I missed it and so did he. Owner also totally lied about stuff but that’s a different story.

Anyway, car is sadly mine now and I am wondering if it’s ok to drive it like this for a while? I treated rust with Krud Kutter rust remover and I’m gonna primer it to stop more rust in the VISIBLE areas. I’m gonna see about getting it fixed but can I drive it for the summer you think? Then get it fixed when it starts raining?

The hole on the left closet to the engine is what I discovered. The holes on the bottom and right are what I made with a screwdriver and wire wheel. Those did not exist until I started poking at it

Thanks!

Click to view attachment

The long and right side frame and suspension are the critical areas to examine before you do any serious driving. smash.gif Its the rust you can't easily see that is the most critical.
Craigers17
First...I wouldn't beat myself up about it. Especially if the trunks, floorboards, and longs look to be in decent shape. We've all seen hell holes that are WAAAAY worse.

As far as driveability goes, I would be much more interested on what the underside of that looks like. In other words, has it compromised any of the structural integrity of the body below it, or the suspension components, like the trailing arm. If not, I'm sure you're fine to drive it....assuming the floorboards aren't like a Flintstone's car. It would always be wise to go through the brake system and fuel system before deeming it roadworthy. Good luck!

I'm sure everyone would love to see more pics too. Welcome!!!
StarBear
Assuming no great structural damage (seems not) and as long as battery tray can be solid and damage didn’t impact the ECU, what you did should be fine. Vroom vroom! driving.gif
930cabman
Welcome aboard mate and congrats with your new ride. Is there rust in other structural areas of the car? rockers, floors, .,.. Do the doors open and close good? How does she run?
76-914
QUOTE(Jamie @ Aug 9 2021, 04:48 PM) *

QUOTE(Shackleford @ Aug 9 2021, 03:16 PM) *

Hello!

The hole on the left closet to the engine is what I discovered. The holes on the bottom and right are what I made with a screwdriver and wire wheel. Those did not exist until I started poking at it

Thanks!

Click to view attachment

The long and right side frame and suspension are the critical areas to examine before you do any serious driving. smash.gif Its the rust you can't easily see that is the most critical.

agree.gif
mb911
That doesn't look bad at all
ctc911ctc
In comparison to what I started with, your car is in PERFECT shape,
Shackleford
Wow.

Thanks for the fast responses!

It runs and drives great. I had the brakes gone through and it got a little tune up and valve adjustment when it arrived. Original fuel injection. 1.7. Seems nice and peppy. It sometimes grumbles about starting when it’s hot after a long-ish drive but give it a little gas and it starts.

The underneath is super dirty. I’m getting it dry ice blasted soon. I’m also gonna remove the rocker panels and check that area soon.

Thanks!Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Here are some more pics of the underside.
Superhawk996
Need pics of the longitudinal down by the jack point and of the trailing arm (inner and outer) passenger side. Picture of passenger side door gaps (front and rear).

All in all, with pictures so far, there is way worse out there.

welcome.png
Shackleford
Door gaps.

Doors open and close fine.

I’ll get the other pics when I take the rocker panels off.

Click to view attachment
mepstein
Shackleford

welcome.png

They all have rust. Yours doesn’t look bad.
bbrock
As everyone else has said, that's nothin'! You do need to inspect those longs and jack areas, but if that's what under the battery looks like, you are off to a good start.

One thing not mentioned is that is looks to me like PO sprayed rust converter on that area. Probably bought the car some time but not a proper repair.

And welcome.png
bkrantz
QUOTE(Shackleford @ Aug 9 2021, 06:35 PM) *

Door gaps.

Doors open and close fine.

I’ll get the other pics when I take the rocker panels off.

Click to view attachment

You might already know this one, but a quick integrity test: take off the top and bounce (lightly) on the right side seat while watching the door gap.
poorsche914
I daily drove my Creamsicle that is in similar condition for nearly 10 years. I put all my attention to the brakes, suspension, and engine.

driving.gif
Freezin 914
welcome.png
Front yard mechanic
Wait until you ready to drop the engine it is he only way to really inspect and repair . Think positive slap.gif nice looking car by the way
KELTY360
I’m no expert but when I see a jacking donut triangle that isn’t crusty I suspect you can drive it til you fix it. Enjoy.

welcome.png
Jamie
QUOTE(Shackleford @ Aug 9 2021, 04:16 PM) *

Wow.

Thanks for the fast responses!

It runs and drives great. I had the brakes gone through and it got a little tune up and valve adjustment when it arrived. Original fuel injection. 1.7. Seems nice and peppy. It sometimes grumbles about starting when it’s hot after a long-ish drive but give it a little gas and it starts.

The underneath is super dirty. I’m getting it dry ice blasted soon. I’m also gonna remove the rocker panels and check that area soon.

Thanks!Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Here are some more pics of the underside.

Dry ice blast everything that you can reach, and then you'll have a much better view to evaluate the situation before you drive or repair.
Olympic 914
This is what Bad looks like.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Yours looks pretty good.

burton73
The guys have said it! You did not do bad. Looks so good next to some of the cars on the world.

Welcome here.

Bob B
welcome.png
burlybryan
Echoing the others, that looks pretty minimal. Is it possible that the hole you described as "closest to the engine" is in the engine shelf? That's not the long and is easily repairable/replaceable. My car is worse than yours and I had a similar sickening revelation upon discovery (and similar unscrupulous seller).
930cabman
Maybe you could/should change the thread title to " I thought that I made a mistake, but I was wrong"

Send more pics when you are able, but so far it looks like a great score.
Shackleford
QUOTE(930cabman @ Aug 10 2021, 01:19 PM) *

Maybe you could/should change the thread title to " I thought that I made a mistake, but I was wrong"

Ok. Maybe I panicked a little. =)

Will post more pics when I get the rocker panels off this weekend and raise the car up.

Thanks for the warm welcome and for making me feel better about the level of rust!!
rjames
In addition to the longs, I recommend having a good look at other critical potential rust areas like the rear suspension ears and where the seat belts mount to the frame, and also make sure things like the the CV bolts are tightened to spec. ball joints are good, etc. before doing any major driving. Based on what you've found, I'm guessing the PO did little in the way of any proper maintenance.

ssuperflyoldguy
Welcome - perhaps you get some more experienced members to look at your car. Prob cost you a couple beers. 914World is one of the better Hobby Car groups.

That said it might be fine as it doesn't look bad at all. Welcome to your new welding apprentice
IronHillRestorations
Best test is with an ice pic or sharp thin awl. Poke the ugliest part with it, and any area with more than light pitting.

I see a questionable patch and an area around the floor pan triangle (post #10 2nd pic) that looks like there might be some perforation.

Don't panic yet, there's plenty of time for that later biggrin.gif Enjoy the car for a while
Mikey914
You appear to have a pretty good car here. Yes it will take some work to make perfect, but if the rest of the car looks pretty good. I'd drive it for the summer and fix in the winter. welcome.png
Arno914
I wished we had such good cars to start with here in Germany.
Looking at the body seams on your pictures it seems that your 914 had never seen road salt which is a great +++

Give it a good clean up and show us more pictures, please. smile.gif

Btw: Love that Colour! My first 914 in the 80´s was Tangerine. Was 12 years old (the 914) when I bought it. The rockers were already gone…suspension rusted through…

Good luck!

Arno

IPB Image

930cabman
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Aug 10 2021, 08:56 PM) *

Best test is with an ice pic or sharp thin awl. Poke the ugliest part with it, and any area with more than light pitting.

I see a questionable patch and an area around the floor pan triangle (post #10 2nd pic) that looks like there might be some perforation.

Don't panic yet, there's plenty of time for that later biggrin.gif Enjoy the car for a while

Or tap with a small hammer and listen for either a hollow sound (rust lurking) or solid (good to go for another 50 years)
Shivers
Very nice. Did you get this out of the low desert. My 72' is a CA car and it is a rust bucket. Yours looks in better shape then mine when I got mine in 82'. Nice score.
TRS63
Doesn't look that bad and great saving one more! I am about to do the same!

Cheers

Antoine
VaccaRabite
Thats about as "no rust" as a 914 comes these days. I'd say you did well on that car.

When you are dealing with old cars, there will ALWAYS be rust somewhere. Its just a question of where and how much. I just bought a "no rust" bus - took a couple hours to find it once I got it home. But its not bad. Thats just how old cars are.

Zach
wonkipop
i agree with all the + comments here.
that looks to be a pretty good car.
its going on 50 years old and it seems like no prior repairs.
so its original and intact.

hell hole rust is endemic.
i had to tackle it in mine 30 years ago, but it had not gone through - was still surface.
rust converted it, stabilised it etc and it has seen no real rain much since then.
99% of them got that one to one degree or another.

i also removed the rocker panels back then and got in there and cleaned it out.
in time to stop anything nasty getting hold.

all those tips were around 30 years ago where the rust starts.

i've still got original paint on mine and there are a few surface rust spots in places.
but nothing seems to have progressed in 30 years.
i'm playing a preservationist game with mine.

i think you will be able to do similar with that car.
its not bad at all.
beerchug.gif

----
i get frightened by pictures of things like the blue car above.
but i am aussie and that sort of h d salt rust or whatever it is is just something you rarely see down here. you guys are geniuses taking that kind of damage on. hats off.
Shackleford
Just wanted to say thanks again for all the positive replies. I think you guys are right it’s really not that bad. I have been jabbing around under the car with a screwdriver looking for more and it seems limited to that area. (I’ve found some surface rust and I’ll treat that with rust converter and a little primer but overall it’s not that bad.

I’ll take some more pics and post them up here after the dry ice blasting.

Thanks again!
VaccaRabite
Do you have pics of the entire car? What are you having dry ice blasted?

Zach
KELTY360
Did I miss the rockers coming off? That’s a critical area to show and if it looks like the rest you’ll have scored.
Shackleford
Ok. It has been a while. I finally got the passenger side rocker panel off. It doesn’t look bad!? Looks like someone hit it with por15 a long time ago and that seems to have helped! I’m gonna buy a iPhone borescope and look inside I think. But those holes I made with an ice pick and we’re not really there before. Most of it is very solid from what I can tell. What do the people who actually know think? Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Shackleford
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Aug 12 2021, 10:01 AM) *

Do you have pics of the entire car? What are you having dry ice blasted?

Zach

The bottom of the car! I’ll post some whole car pics soon. And some pics of the blasting.
mlindner
That looks like something that could be cleaned up good cut out and weld in a panel. Best, Mark
Shackleford
Think I can clean that up and hit it with some rust reformer and some por15 then drive it for a year or two then fix it once I have some some cash and I’ve got all the rubber bits and stuff all nice?
mlindner
Sure, clean it up well, Por15 and pick you battle later. I used this extended angle grinder (HF) with a drilled out wire wheel to clean all under body junk off car, and great up in the inner fendersClick to view attachment. Best, Mark
Shackleford
QUOTE(mlindner @ Aug 28 2021, 01:24 PM) *

Sure, clean it up well, Por15 and pick you battle later. I used this extended angle grinder (HF) with a drilled out wire wheel to clean all under body junk off car, and great up in the inner fendersClick to view attachment. Best, Mark

Thanks!!!
GeorgeKopf
1. Welcome to the club.
2. Best of luck on your build.
3. Relax into the project. Don't let it overwhelm you but keep at it.
4. Work on the little things while you make a long term plan for the body rust.
5. Eventually, get the chassis rust free (or as close as you can get).
6. Enjoy the journey.

I just purchased a 1974 (February 2021) and don't plan on having it on the road before 2024! Slow and steady wins the race.

Best of luck.

George
Shackleford
Also here is my temp fix for engine bay.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Shackleford
Ok. I got a borescope into the long on the passenger side. It doesn’t look terrible? Any experts have an opinion on how bad? Again, im thinking coat it in rust reformer and drive car till I find a local place I trust that can fix it. (And also I have some spare cash for the repairs). These are all looking towards the back of the car from about the edge of passenger door. I think some are upside down. But it all seems like I’m catching it before it’s unsafe to drive….I hope.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.