Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front trunk handle removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RiqueMar
Hi all, I’m sure it’s been a topic before, but I can’t seem to find any resource in extracting the lock / handle from the front-trunk. Can anyone point me in the right direction for a thread or provide some help?
Thank! bye1.gif
mepstein
Enrique- are you talking about the trunk release handle under the dash. It’s held in with two Allen screws under the hinge in the front trunk.
bkrantz
If you want to remove just the pull handle, undo the cable clamp from the latch up front, straighten any bend in the end of the cable, and then pull the handle and cable out from the bracket under the dash.
PCH
On a similar vein, is it possible to remove the tumbler from the latch handle with out removing the cable? It's the last lock on my car that I have to rekey.
bbrock
QUOTE(PCH @ Aug 10 2021, 01:42 PM) *

On a similar vein, is it possible to remove the tumbler from the latch handle with out removing the cable? It's the last lock on my car that I have to rekey.

Sort of. There is a small set screw on the T-handle housing that holds the tumbler in the housing. You have to pull the handle far enough out of the bracket tube to access that handle. My bet is it will require unhooking the cable at the latch as @bkrantz described. At that point, you might as well just unscrew the cable from the handle and take the handle to the bench for re-keying.

One addition to Bob's handle removal instructions. There is (or should be) a small screw on the bottom that goes through a slot in the bracket and into the handle to act as a stop to limit how far out you can pull the handle. That needs to be removed to pull the handle out of the bracket too.
RiqueMar
QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 10 2021, 04:00 PM) *

QUOTE(PCH @ Aug 10 2021, 01:42 PM) *

Sort of. There is a small set screw on the T-handle housing that holds the tumbler in the housing. You have to pull the handle far enough out of the bracket tube to access that handle. My bet is it will require unhooking the cable at the latch as @bkrantz described. At that point, you might as well just unscrew the cable from the handle and take the handle to the bench for re-keying.

One addition to Bob's handle removal instructions. There is (or should be) a small screw on the bottom that goes through a slot in the bracket and into the handle to act as a stop to limit how far out you can pull the handle. That needs to be removed to pull the handle out of the bracket too.

I was able to do this last night and snapped a few photos as well, step-by-step coming shortly

bye1.gif
RiqueMar
Posted only build-thread with photos bye1.gif

Posting a 'How-to' regarding the removal of the front-trunk pull-handle. Usually, this is done for cleaning and lock replacement, or in my case - both. Looking through the site, I felt like this last part of the project is unrepresented, so sharing the steps I took to remove. It's pretty easy, and only take about 5-minutes.

For the first step, I don't have a picture, you need to make sure you can access the bottom of the handle to remove 1x flat-head screw. This means you might have to remove your speaker-grilles or anything blocking the bottom of the handle. It's pretty short, and only needs a few turns.

Next, move to the front trunk and loosen the bolt that holds down the pull-wire, located inside the mechanism that locks the front-trunk. Straightedges the wire a bit, as much as you can, so it won't 'drag' inside the wire guide. Next, loosen the Phillips-screw that holds the wire-guide on the outside of that same mechanism.

Now, move to pull the handle out of the slot. You only need to pull it out about 6-8 inches. From here, you'll notice that the handle is 'theaded' onto the release wire. Note more-or-less where it is so you don't have to re-adjust when you install the handle. All you need to do is rotate it a few-times, and it will disconnect.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.