Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Pressure Tester
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SteveL
74 1.8 L-Jet that is dying after running for a few minutes. Acts like it is running out of fuel. I need to put a fuel pressure gauge on it to confirm.
I looked and there is a small fitting on the driver side fuel rail. All of the fuel pressure gauges I see for sale have large schraeder valve connectors. Is there one that works with the factory fuel rail fitting? Or do I need to get one with a T fitting and cut the fuel line?
Thanks
jrmdir
Hi Steve:

I had the same question until I looked more closely at that test outlet on the fuel rail. Once you take out the center screw plug it's a simple hose barb with a lip around the top. Just need a length of FI hose and a clamp - plus a gauge that also accepts a hose fitting.

And we're in luck! I was just going to post this to the group, but Harbor Freight has a super low price on a set that includes a hose barb fitting. Check their website and/or watch for my next post.

Regards,

Ron
GregAmy
5/16" fuel hose and a clamp.

I use the HF one on my D-Jet.
ndfrigi
You can visit various auto supply store like Pepboys and Oreilly’s that have fuel pressure kit loaner tools you can borrow. You will just need to pay the tools and give you few days to use and get full refund after returning them.
Driver side middle fuel rails has the access for fuel pressure.

Or buy a fuel pressure gauge that you can install permanently in the middle of the fuel line. like between passenger and driver side fuel rail line.
gonzo54
Harbor Freight works good on my D-Jet
SteveL
Thanks all for the quick responses. beerchug.gif
Looks like a run to harbor freight is on my evening plans.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Aug 10 2021, 09:45 AM) *

You can buy a fuel pressure gauge that you can install permanently in the middle of the fuel line. like between passenger and driver side fuel rail line.

Excellent for roadside diagnosis: if engine suddenly stops and the fuel pressure gauge reads zero, the fuel pump stopped. If Rhine stops and Fuel pressure gauge shows pressure, then fuel pump is ok.
I carry a fuel pump, and the pump is located in the front trunk where I can real it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.