Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are there any LED bulb options for driving lights?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DC_neun_vierzehn
I've done LEDs in all exterior lights (except driving lights) and I'm pleased with how they look. Pretty close to original, but brighter and safer (and of course they're using less juice which is a plus).

The only exterior LED bulbs I couldn't find so far are for my driving lights.

As topic description states I have a 73 2.0.

Anybody have LED bulbs in their driving lights? And if so, can you kindly share a link to where you got them?
914Sixer
Nope because it uses an odd bulb. 75-76 is not a problem because of H1 bulb.
DC_neun_vierzehn
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Aug 10 2021, 01:39 PM) *

Nope because it uses an odd bulb. 75-76 is not a problem because of H1 bulb.

Gotcha. Thank you.
GregAmy
No love for Spokes? It's not a "bulb" but it is LED.

https://www.spokeworksled.com/product-page/...ght-boards-pair
GregAmy
These driving lights use the Hella 635 bulb, a unique animal. No LED version exists that I'm aware of.

However, the mounting base is the same as the "BA20D" motorcycle bulb. Problem with that one is that it's a 2-pole high/low bulb, not a "single element" driving light.

Were someone clever with solder/wiring you could probably make one work in our driving lights. Heck, it may turn out that one (or both)of the contacts happen to close the circuit without mods...?
DC_neun_vierzehn
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Aug 10 2021, 02:38 PM) *

No love for Spokes? It's not a "bulb" but it is LED.

https://www.spokeworksled.com/product-page/...ght-boards-pair

@GregAmy

Do you have these in your 914?
Cairo94507
I havE Jerry's (Spoke) latest LED driving light version in my car and I love them. Nice and bright and plug and play of course. beerchug.gif
mb911
I need to look for pictures. I did a nice little conversion to LEDs for about 20 bucks. Not as bright as Spokes but works well. I know it's in my build thread for sure.

Basically I found a plug, a bulb and made a bushing to hold the plug in the original housing.. works nicely
mb911
Here it is in my thread

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=269606&hl=
sholman5
Click to view attachment
Bought these on Amazon. Work great.
914Sixer
Looks like there may be a plug and play solution after all.
FlacaProductions
I have LEDs in my Pilots - if you can find Pilots anymore...
Montreal914
QUOTE(sholman5 @ Aug 10 2021, 04:27 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Link? smile.gif
Mikey914
If they truly are 100W, yo will have wiring issues eventually. You will want to put these on a relay. I seriously doubt they are 100W, which if they can't label correctly, what else have they not done?

I'm not saying don't try them, but understand things might not be as they seem. If they are taking that much wattage, there is a LOT of heat.

I've spent a lot of time vetting LED manufacturers to get the bulbs we sell for the headlights, the LED world has a lot of shade.
GregAmy
QUOTE(DC_neun_vierzehn @ Aug 10 2021, 06:28 PM) *

Do you have these [Spokes LEDs] in your 914?

I do not. But I keep threatening to.

QUOTE(sholman5 @ Aug 10 2021, 07:27 PM) *

Those are the BA20D ones that I wrote about. Note that they're dual terminal (high/low beams) instead of single-terminal. If they're working in your car then that means the single terminal in our foglights is making a circuit connection with one or both of those terminals.

This is a common bulb for older motorbikes/scooters. Search Amazon for "BA20D LED" and you should find many options.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 11 2021, 01:36 AM) *

If they truly are 100W, yo will have wiring issues eventually. You will want to put these on a relay. I seriously doubt they are 100W, which if they can't label correctly, what else have they not done?

Its GOT to be the equivalent of 100watts. 100watts in a LED would melt without big heat sync. Still have doubts though - that would have lots of heat issues.

Zach
Literati914
@sholman5

How long have you been running with that particular bulb? Any issues with heat, melting wires or a burning smell shades.gif

theer
@sholman5

Got a part number for those bulbs? Nevermind - missed the post above with the #

Thanks for pointing these out!
Mikey914
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Aug 11 2021, 06:23 AM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 11 2021, 01:36 AM) *

Its GOT to be the equivalent of 100watts. 100watts in a LED would melt without big heat sync. Still have doubts though - that would have lots of heat issues.

Zach

That's where I was going. It's a crazy shoot, but let us see what it looks like.
DC_neun_vierzehn
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 10 2021, 05:09 PM) *

Are you talking about this post (#989)?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2788972

If so, not much information shared re: your mod.
eric9144
On my -4 I got some modified BA20S bulbs from a guy down in Australia 4-5 years ago (who I can't seem to find anymore). I have Spokes on the -6, there's no comparison there if you're looking for actual lighting.

That being said, on my -4 I was more working to get all the lights on the same spectrum, the old fogs looked like yellow candles compared to the LED headlights once I'd changed those over. The problem with the modified bulb in the stock housings is the way the light scatters, if you're doing this for actual nighttime driving visibility, go the Spoke route--In my case it was for daytime driving on country roads with the lights on, so the cheap/easy retrofit route was the way and they look great, best part, plug and play and can be changed right back to the stock bulb.

Click to view attachment
913B
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...305629&st=0

I followed the member (Firstcar) route, worked out nicely. Fairly easy DIY project.
When I find the pictures of the modification I'll post them.

DC_neun_vierzehn
QUOTE(913B @ Aug 11 2021, 12:37 PM) *

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...305629&st=0

I followed the member (Firstcar) route, worked out nicely. Fairly easy DIY project.
When I find the pictures of the modification I'll post them.

Thanks for sharing that other thread. I did a search for "LED fog" and "LED driving" prior to posting my question and nothing turned up. The search function can be frustrating.
adolimpio
Click here for bulb on Amazon
913B
here are the before and after pictures

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
abes914
Thanks for sharing piratenanner.gif
Will have to try that out!
beerchug.gif
DC_neun_vierzehn
QUOTE(913B @ Aug 12 2021, 01:17 PM) *

So you didn’t add a base from a normal bulb to your LED bulbs? I thought FirstCar mention the need to do that in his other thread?
913B
I did, the first pic shows the original fog light bulb base was removed and attached the LED to it. You just slowly and carefully twist the bulb off. It will twist off the thin wires from the bulb.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.