Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installing oil pressure sender (idiot light sensor)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chaznaster
Just now, I replaced my oil pressure sensor as the old one was not working. Doing some homework, I found reference to torque to 15 lbft and nothing about crush or copper washers. There was no washer on the one I took out.

When installing, I hit 10 lbft (sneaking up on it) but after what to me seemed like quite a bit of additional tightening, did not hit 15. That got me worried that I might overtighten it so I paused and decided to consult with all of you.

My questions:
1) Is 15 lbft the right torque?
2) Does it need a crush or copper washer?
3) If I continue to tighten it, is it right to assume that the torque will suddenly jump up when the body of the sender hits the block?
4) If overtightened, what would be the worst case outcome? Stripping the threads? Cracking the case?

Thanks for your help with this one.
adolimpio
It's a tapered pipe thread, no need for a washer. However, thread sealing compound should be applied.

No torque spec, just tighten until snug. If the body bottoms out, you've gone too far.
Chaznaster
QUOTE(adolimpio @ Aug 10 2021, 08:43 PM) *

It's a tapered pipe thread, no need for a washer. However, thread sealing compound should be applied.

No torque spec, just tighten until snug. If the body bottoms out, you've gone too far.

Thanks for the quick response! Hopefully I did not go too far. Regarding sealant, is there any particular product for this case? I’ve seen a lot of posts on this forum that recommend never using sealants so have always shied away.
adolimpio
QUOTE(Chaznaster @ Aug 10 2021, 09:43 PM) *

Thanks for the quick response! Hopefully I did not go too far. Regarding sealant, is there any particular product for this case? I’ve seen a lot of posts on this forum that recommend never using sealants so have always shied away.

This is what I use. Permatex 80632

Chaznaster
QUOTE(adolimpio @ Aug 11 2021, 07:24 AM) *

QUOTE(Chaznaster @ Aug 10 2021, 09:43 PM) *

This is what I use. Permatex 80632

Aaaand done! I plan to run it tomorrow to check for leaks. Thanks again for the help.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.