Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Control arm to strut bolt removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boiledcabbage
Trying to replace bushings but can’t remove control arm to strut bolt - have tried heating with a torch at back end for 1-2 minutes and won’t budge. Should I heat longer?. Worry about cooking the ball joint. .Thx for any suggestions and advice!
mepstein
Impact gun and a good ball joint socket or cut it off.
When you heat it, make sure to spray the threads with penetrating oil as it cools and then heat again. Dripping some wax on the hot threads is even better since it doesn’t evaporate like the oil when the metal is hot.

I’ve removed a couple dozen of the ball joint nuts and a good impact gun does it every time. It breaks the corrosion quickly and let’s the lube do it’s job.
boiledcabbage
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 11 2021, 09:47 AM) *

When you heat it, make sure to spray the threads with penetrating oil as it cools and then heat again. Dripping some wax on the hot threads is even better since it doesn’t evaporate like the oil when the metal is hot.

I’ve removed a couple dozen of the ball joint nuts and a good impact gun does it every time. It breaks the corrosion quickly and let’s the lube do it’s job.

Thx mepstein - this is the weird shaped horizontal bolt that that connects the ball joint to the strut - I’ll try heat/wd40/more heat. Thx.
mepstein
QUOTE(boiledcabbage @ Aug 11 2021, 03:23 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 11 2021, 09:47 AM) *

Thx mepstein - this is the weird shaped horizontal bolt that that connects the ball joint to the strut - I’ll try heat/wd40/more heat. Thx.

Ok. That one you want to heat and cool a couple times. You really want to heat the housing more than directly on the pin. Tap the pin with the nut on it but don’t hit it so hard that you bend the pin. You’re just trying to break the corrosive bond. I would use a penetrating oil vs wd-40.
Don’t be afraid to really lay on the heat for a couple minutes at a time. The heating and cooling will help but it has to get HOT. You will ruin the paint on the strut and the ball joint but they are probably due for replacement by now. There’s a good chance the ball joint shaft is corroded in the strut bore but the heat cycles will help loosen it.
930cabman
Are you using propane or oxy/acetylene?
ddire333
Had same issue last week, heat on its own would not budge. forgot i had this kit in the shed and once tighten up, heat and a few taps of a hammer and they both popped out. But glad i was changing the ball joints as very hard not to damage boots with the heatClick to view attachment
willieg
I just changed struts on my 914 and am in practice. First, I ordered a couple of those special bolts and nuts and waited to receive the bolts and nuts before I started. The previous night,I shot penetrating oil on both bolts and rapped the lower part of the strut to warn the offending bolt I was coming. The next morning, I backed off the nuts a couple of turns, pulled out the 5lb bfh and enthusiastically hit the nut a couple of times. I swear the bolt cried “uncle” and backed out. In the process, I mangled the threads on the bolts but had the replacements in hand.
rhodyguy
WD-40? You need a proper penetrant. PBblaster, Areokroil are good penetrants. Early or late struts? The fasteners differ. The tapered pin version does not like to leaned on hard.
boiledcabbage
Thx all for the advice - will order some pins, get pb blaster, and a BFH
boiledcabbage
QUOTE(boiledcabbage @ Aug 12 2021, 05:29 AM) *

Thx all for the advice - will order some pins, get pb blaster, and a BFH

Update- so I have tried to heat 3 times for 3 minutes each (with a propane torch) the area around the wedge bolt (from thr front of car side of that bolt) - previously tried heating the pin with no effect- , followed by an enthusiastic whack with 2 pound sledge with no effect. Lots of pb blaster in between.

Originally just wanted to improve the ride with new rubber bushings after watching the very simple available videos on line….o

My options seem to be
1. Give up
2. Remove the whole strut assembly so I can get better heat access/brute force on a bench.
3 separate the ball joint at the control arm tho suspect that will be a PITA. And would have to hope it is relatively easy to reinstall….

All assuming I have not cooked an otherwise good ball joint

Anyone have any other ideas? I don’t have access to a super c clamp or equivalent to press it out.

Much appreciated. confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.