Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Magnus Walker 914 auction ending
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Steve
Entertaining bidding war for a big 4 and its not even a Raby motor!!
steuspeed
QUOTE(Steve @ Aug 11 2021, 01:35 PM) *

A lot of $$$ spent at Fat Performance + others.
davep
Interesting repairs to the right front corner/ headlight bucket.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Steve @ Aug 11 2021, 04:35 PM) *

Has always amazed the price premium people will pay for a pretty common car that some famous person has farted in. confused24.gif
Cairo94507
Someone paid decent money to buy Magnus' car. beerchug.gif
Robarabian
I think this is a car that will not retrieve back the investment for the owner. I hope they just go enjoy the drive and not think about what they paid for.
mepstein
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Aug 11 2021, 08:10 PM) *

Has always amazed the price premium people will pay for a pretty common car that some famous person has farted in. confused24.gif

Lol!

Is Magnus famous?
Literati914
Man I say ‘good for him’ beer.gif

Shackleford
I honestly thought it would go for more. In some circles Magnus is a legend. I do like those door handles though. Want some in chrome.
Jamie
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 12 2021, 07:28 AM) *

Lol!

Is Magnus famous?

He needs a haircut and a good shower!
Justinp71
QUOTE(Shackleford @ Aug 12 2021, 08:53 AM) *

I honestly thought it would go for more. In some circles Magnus is a legend. I do like those door handles though. Want some in chrome.

Same here, that is a good car for $30k.
BK911
I like the car.
From what I've read about MW, he does quality builds.
If this 914 is like the 911s he built, it should be top shelf.
So for me, I would pay a premium for MW quality versus MW fame.
Mayne
Yeah, you probably couldn’t build the car for the selling price. I like it; it’s unique and a bit polarizing like his other builds, but with a cool sense of vision. Some of the comments here remind me of (what started out as) his amazing thread on Pelican about his out of control Porsche hobby. He finally stopped contributing because of all the negative commentary about his looks, style, maybe his wealth and influence. By all rights, he seems to be a genuine enthusiast who helps our hobby, and has now further elevated our 914s.
gereed75
Actually quite a deal for a “celeb” car. The buyer appears to be a Porsche guy with an aircooled penchant.

This car is a Cheap collection builder by any standard and appears to be a pretty nice hot rod driver.

Good on em
Steve
QUOTE(Mayne @ Aug 12 2021, 12:05 PM) *

Yeah, you probably couldn’t build the car for the selling price. I like it; it’s unique and a bit polarizing like his other builds, but with a cool sense of vision. Some of the comments here remind me of (what started out as) his amazing thread on Pelican about his out of control Porsche hobby. He finally stopped contributing because of all the negative commentary about his looks, style, maybe his wealth and influence. By all rights, he seems to be a genuine enthusiast who helps our hobby, and has now further elevated our 914s.

i met him several times at local Porsche car shows and Cars & Coffee. He does have a huge love for Porsche's, races in POC and all around nice guy who is super approachable. Sad that social media is generally negative about everything.
Chris914n6
QUOTE(BK911 @ Aug 12 2021, 11:09 AM) *

I like the car.

It's not a MW build. It's an unrestored $5000 car that he added his trademark drilled door handles and wheels too. Then the current owner added the big 4. It still needs $10k in work to be a nice example.
BK911
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Aug 12 2021, 05:06 PM) *

I like the car.

It's not a MW build. It's an unrestored $5000 car that he added his trademark drilled door handles and wheels too. Then the current owner added the big 4. It still needs $10k in work to be a nice example.

Oops, my bad.
Still like the car, but not at $30k.
rhodyguy
That explains quite a bit Chris.
BENBRO02
I like the wheels but would like them better with an RSR finish.
wonkipop
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Aug 12 2021, 03:06 PM) *

I like the car.

correct and precise assessment.

i like the way he looks, the way he talks, what he talks about and i like his 911s.
but that 914 ........it didn't come off. they are a tricky car aesthetically. he still owns the other one doesn't he? must like driving it. this was one tricked up for his film-maker mate.
beerchug.gif
john77
I have nothing against MW personally, it's just he really likes to perpetuate this myth that he "builds" cars.

For me, deciding you want some louvres on top of your fender and then paying Rod Emory to figure out how to make them, and then have Rod Emory execute them and give you back the newly louvered fenders, that doesn't make you a car builder. Nor does picking out a color scheme and getting a professional painter to paint it.

Like, which part of his cars did he actually, you know, build? And please don't say he sewed the leather door straps, I saw that video, and sewing up the curtains in my bedroom didn't suddenly make me a house builder biggrin.gif

I'm not knocking the guy's creativity (or his ability to market himself) but he's more of a "car art director" that pays other people to execute his vision than a car builder.

I like the car.
wonkipop
QUOTE(john77 @ Aug 12 2021, 04:48 PM) *

I have nothing against MW personally, it's just he really likes to perpetuate this myth that he "builds" cars.

For me, deciding you want some louvres on top of your fender and then paying Rod Emory to figure out how to make them, and then have Rod Emory execute them and give you back the newly louvered fenders, that doesn't make you a car builder. Nor does picking out a color scheme and getting a professional painter to paint it.

Like, which part of his cars did he actually, you know, build? And please don't say he sewed the leather door straps, I saw that video, and sewing up the curtains in my bedroom didn't suddenly make me a house builder biggrin.gif

I'm not knocking the guy's creativity (or his ability to market himself) but he's more of a "car art director" that pays other people to execute his vision than a car builder.

I like the car.

he says he is a designer - different from a builder.
takes the same approach to his hobby as he does to his "real" job.
different game than a builder.
and basically he is a punk, which means his tastes lie in remaking the 50s and 60s minus the hippy/flower power era. makes 914s tricky for him?

his own red car looks pretty interesting - or did.
he had run a black out line down the top of the rear guard from the sail panel.
dechromed it and kept it black and red.
at least the last time i saw any images of it.
reminds me of a take on the early car show mockups for the can am cars in a way.

the sema car looked like a early 80s new wave homage. ????????
didn't quite gell?

i think he has kept his 914s stock and underpowered.
probably to enjoy the experience of a porsche without any power?
john77
I live in LA and have met a number of people that actually build his stuff... and more than one of them wasn't particularly pleased that he didn't give them credit where it was due.

You can call that what you want... but I have a name for it too biggrin.gif

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Aug 12 2021, 04:20 PM) *

I like the car.

his 911 stuff is interesting probably because he mines the past - its not quite nostalgia - more punk? maybe why his 914s didn't gell for me. he does not seem to have a natural liking for late 60s/early 70s moon shot psychedelia. i'm thinking the hippie 917 or the pink pig if you are going to do twists on time.

wonkipop
QUOTE(john77 @ Aug 12 2021, 05:33 PM) *

I live in LA and have met a number of people that actually build his stuff... and more than one of them wasn't particularly pleased that he didn't give them credit where it was due.

You can call that what you want... but I have a name for it too biggrin.gif

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Aug 12 2021, 04:20 PM) *

I like the car.

his 911 stuff is interesting probably because he mines the past - its not quite nostalgia - more punk? maybe why his 914s didn't gell for me. he does not seem to have a natural liking for late 60s/early 70s moon shot psychedelia. i'm thinking the hippie 917 or the pink pig if you are going to do twists on time.

standard "designer" behaviour? i'd just like to thank all the "little people" but i can't remember their names? car stylists v engineering staff in the big car companies right through the 60s and 70s were at each others throats too, the stylists got all the credit - still do to this day. needs to be more histories on the engineering minds of that era, and the big three had some high intelligence on that front.

but the engineers are not all saints either, alec issigonis gave no one any credit, even other engineers.
73-914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 12 2021, 11:28 AM) *

Lol!

Is Magnus famous?

Only in his own mind
fixer34
OK, I'm not the only one who looked at this and thought 'So what...?'
914werke
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Aug 12 2021, 05:01 PM) *

NO dry.gif
wonkipop
QUOTE(73-914 @ Aug 12 2021, 05:52 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 12 2021, 11:28 AM) *

Lol!

Is Magnus famous?

Only in his own mind

he is/was famous in fashion industry. give him credit.
and...... he is a self made man, thats supposed to still be valued in america, i hope it is,
its not in the rest of the world sadly.

better to discuss his car on its terms than him?
interesting that mw "formula" failed on a 914.
tricky to do an outlaw 914?
folks posting on this site have achieved superior results - .
which is the real discussion.
who has nailed an outlaw 14.
i can think of a few. that black one with the chop top roof and eliminated headlights in the film clip circulating on this site a few months ago comes to mind. that was impressive.

mr. fuel tank down here has a very good outlaw he built and he designed. did both jobs. very nice. its painted in a fantastic weird green, that an indonesian guy has a 911 painted in, a rare factory color i have never seen.
gereed75
mats Karlson got ithe teener outlaw right right here on the world

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=martini+sweden

right look, right stance, right technology, right sound and right performance. Imagined, Designed and built by him.
73-914
QUOTE(914werke @ Aug 12 2021, 08:08 PM) *

QUOTE(fixer34 @ Aug 12 2021, 05:01 PM) *

NO dry.gif

agree.gif
wonkipop
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Aug 12 2021, 08:26 PM) *

mats Karlson got ithe teener outlaw right right here on the world

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=martini+sweden

right look, right stance, right technology, right sound and right performance. Imagined, Designed and built by him.

yeah, its a goody that one.^

mr. fuel tank's is here.

https://www.instagram.com/p/COOnvq_lqpT/

i like it, wish i could get a second 914 and do one.
...........checking out BAT etc i guess that plan is farked?
always had a bit of soft spot for the hippy 917.
or piech's "flame" job on the lemans winner 17.
914sgofast2
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Aug 12 2021, 02:06 PM) *

I like the car.

+1

While Magnus Walker is a decent and approachable guy, I don’t think this 914 could be considered an “MW Build”
A few years ago my son and I met him at a Werks Reunion in Monterey.

I did not not see him at the Werks Reunion this year. His Instagram account posting leads me to believe that he was driving a Boxster around the backroads in LA, rather than going to the 2021 COVID era Werks Reunion.
Mike D.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(914sgofast2 @ Aug 13 2021, 07:40 PM) *

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Aug 12 2021, 02:06 PM) *

I like the car.

+1

While Magnus Walker is a decent and approachable guy, I don’t think this 914 could be considered an “MW Build”
A few years ago my son and I met him at a Werks Reunion in Monterey.

I did not not see him at the Werks Reunion this year. His Instagram account posting leads me to believe that he was driving a Boxster around the backroads in LA, rather than going to the 2021 COVID era Werks Reunion.
Mike D.

https://youtu.be/Jdxswpsn4Oc
Coondog
https://youtu.be/Jdxswpsn4Oc
[/quote]

Xlint video, thanks for sharing ndfrigi
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.