Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Targa Top FWD Latches
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jcambo7
I had to repair my fwd latches mounting area on one of my tops. The fasteners that were installed from the previous repair are not reusable. I did the repair with chopped fiberglass and fiberglass resin. Just wondering if anyone knows what fastener/lock nut is the correct one or best one to use? I was debating on using a T-Nut but not sure how well it will hold and doesn't seem like the best option. I've looked at a bunch of options on McMaster Carr and can't make up my mind as I lack knowledge in this.
windforfun
Contact George at Auto Atlanta.
bdstone914
QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Aug 12 2021, 11:59 AM) *

I had to repair my fwd latches mounting area on one of my tops. The fasteners that were installed from the previous repair are not reusable. I did the repair with chopped fiberglass and fiberglass resin. Just wondering if anyone knows what fastener/lock nut is the correct one or best one to use? I was debating on using a T-Nut but not sure how well it will hold and doesn't seem like the best option. I've looked at a bunch of options on McMaster Carr and can't make up my mind as I lack knowledge in this.

They are a threaded insert with innner and outer threads. Interal thread is 5mm. Outer thread is very corse to have more holding force. They are molded in.

@jcambo7
jcambo7
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Aug 13 2021, 09:13 AM) *

QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Aug 12 2021, 11:59 AM) *

They are a threaded insert with innner and outer threads. Interal thread is 5mm. Outer thread is very corse to have more holding force. They are molded in.

@jcambo7

@bdstone914

Thanks but that means I should have put the threaded inserts in with the repair... headbang.gif
Optimusglen
Yes, probably should have been embedded. There are some insert options that might work, but nothing that is going to be factory. I'd say find one that is the correct thread size for the screw and use some sort of epoxy on install.

Or even just find a different targa top, they are fairly common as most 914s rust out long before the tops deteriorate.

One of the inserts on mine had stripped threads, I just used a larger screw size and drove it home for now until a new top pops up nearby.
jcambo7
QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Aug 13 2021, 10:14 AM) *

Yes, probably should have been embedded. There are some insert options that might work, but nothing that is going to be factory. I'd say find one that is the correct thread size for the screw and use some sort of epoxy on install.

Or even just find a different targa top, they are fairly common as most 914s rust out long before the tops deteriorate.

One of the inserts on mine had stripped threads, I just used a larger screw size and drove it home for now until a new top pops up nearby.

This is the 2nd top for my 914 that came with the car when I bought it. The PO kept one black and painted the other one Phoenix Red to match the car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.