Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacement Fuel Injectors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SteveL
So, I hooked up my brand new HF fuel pressure gauge (thanks for the tip at $19).
Sure enough, starts, runs fine for a minute, starts missing, fuel pressure drops, engine dies as pressure gets under 20lbs. Wait a minute, engine starts back up, repeat cycle.

All of a sudden, I see a spray of fuel coming from injector #1. Can't really tell if it is coming from the short hose from fuel rail to injector or the injector seal. I assume that I caused this problem while moving the fuel rail around when hooking up the pressure gauge to the test port. The only way to make it leak is to put everything back, but then there is too much stuff in the way to see where it is leaking.

The injectors have been replaced by me in the past, but it has been over 15 years. Should I just bite the bullet and replace all 4? Can I get mine rebuilt (do they replace the hoses?) I found injectors reman'd by Standard Motor Products for $35.79 ea on Rockauto - are these any good, or junk?

Thanks
Craigers17
My engine at the time was a 2.0. Here's everything I learned on the subject. Good Luck!

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=343970
iankarr
Pressure dropping after start and then recovering after a few minutes sounds like a fuel delivery issue. Kink in the fuel line or dirty filter/tank sock. Basically the pump is pumping faster than the gas coming in. Turning off the engine allows it to replenish and pump at pressure until it depletes again.

As for injectors, the oem green tops for 2.0s are getting hard to find or long in the tooth. I had a set of 4 that I sent to mr injector and 2 failed. He recommended the Standard Products FJ67 as a direct fit replacement. I have 4 new ones running in my engine now and they run great
cary
We're using the FJ67's too.
I have 8 arriving from RockAuto today.
FlacaProductions
I'm running the FJ67s as well.
SteveL
Mine are green tops, with 0 280 150 112 stamped on the edge. These are in a 1.8 L Jet. Are all green tops for 2.0? Do I have the wrong injectors?
SteveL
I checked out Mr. Injector, and they currently have a 2-3 week backlog. I ordered the new SMP remans from RockAuto, and will send in my old ones to Mr. Injector to have a backups.
Now to find the kinked hose....
iankarr
If you haven’t recently moved the fuel tank (and the hoses underneath) it’s more likely a clogged sock (shine a light down into the tank and see if the screen looks clean) or plugged fuel filter. Easy enough to replace that.
wonkipop
QUOTE(SteveL @ Aug 12 2021, 04:56 PM) *

Mine are green tops, with 0 280 150 112 stamped on the edge. These are in a 1.8 L Jet. Are all green tops for 2.0? Do I have the wrong injectors?

no - that # is right for a 1.8. you must be color blind (not insulting you beerchug.gif ) - alternately i am color blind?
should be a blue color. maybe altered/faded with age?
some freshies. you seeing blue or green in this image?
i'm seeing blue.

Click to view attachment
914sgofast2
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Aug 13 2021, 02:16 AM) *

QUOTE(SteveL @ Aug 12 2021, 04:56 PM) *

no - that # is right for a 1.8. you must be color blind (not insulting you beerchug.gif ) - alternately i am color blind?
should be a blue color. maybe altered/faded with age?
some freshies. you seeing blue or green in this image?
i'm seeing blue.

Click to view attachment

Most men are blue/green color blind. I am not too proud to admit that I am!
SteveL
To me, those are closer to a green than a blue shades.gif
wonkipop
QUOTE(SteveL @ Aug 14 2021, 08:35 PM) *

To me, those are closer to a green than a blue shades.gif

very interesting. beerchug.gif

i got the box down with the injectors i removed last year, they date from 89 when i installed them after buying the car.
two of them are blue and two are green.
i see one on right as a shade of green.
the ones now in the car are like the one on left - which i see as a shade of blue.

Click to view attachment
bdstone914
QUOTE(SteveL @ Aug 12 2021, 03:56 PM) *

L jet and D jet injectors use a different electrical connector plug. L jet are either turquose or grey.
I have not ran the number to check if they are correct.
You can not rebuild an injector. They are just cleaned and tested. The hoses can be replaced but if the body is leaking they are junk

@SteveL
wonkipop
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Aug 15 2021, 07:48 AM) *

QUOTE(SteveL @ Aug 12 2021, 03:56 PM) *

L jet and D jet injectors use a different electrical connector plug. L jet are either turquose or grey.
I have not ran the number to check if they are correct.
You can not rebuild an injector. They are just cleaned and tested. The hoses can be replaced but if the body is leaking they are junk

@SteveL

they can also be junk if the pintles suffer micro corrosion.
got mine to go again after cleaning. tested - worked fine.
but they just wouldn't work once back in car. basically jambed shut again after a short period post cleaning and before i could get them into the engine again.
this was after they had sat around dormant in the car for 16 years.

when i bought the car back in 89 it was a very similar situation.
the car had been dormant then with its first owner for about 5 years.
some of the injectors were leaking and one or two were jambed due to internal corrosion.
Arno914
This holds true for all sorts of injectors: Use it or loose it. biggrin.gif
wonkipop
QUOTE(Arno914 @ Aug 17 2021, 12:20 AM) *

This holds true for all sorts of injectors: Use it or loose it. biggrin.gif

which i am now fargen well doin mate - and grinning doen it - these injectors are gettin a good work out. short delay at present while i fix my clagged front wheel bearings, another use it or lose it moment beerchug.gif
SteveL
I received the SMP injectors from RockAuto. The body looks like a match, but the "nose" is way shorter and the hose is straight.
Also, I ordered new seals and the larger seal is quite a bit smaller than the original.
Will these work???

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Craigers17
Hey Steve,

Just for a reference, because I noticed the "snub-nosed" design of the SMP injectors as well, here is a picture of my original Bosch injectors (2.0). This will give you some idea of how much they differ from the SMP in design. That said, they worked great.

The pic is AFTER I sent this one to Mr. Injector.

Click to view attachment
SteveL
QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Aug 19 2021, 03:06 PM) *

Hey Steve,

Just for a reference, because I noticed the "snub-nosed" design of the SMP injectors as well, here is a picture of my original Bosch injectors (2.0). This will give you some idea of how much they differ from the SMP in design. That said, they worked great.

The pic is AFTER I sent this one to Mr. Injector.

Click to view attachment

So you are running the SMP injectors, and sitting on the Bosch injectors that Mr. Injector went through as backups?

Thanks!
Craigers17
Actually, I've since sold the car. I've also sold all of my refurbished injectors. I get that some folks want to run the Bosch injectors, but after having seen the data and positive analysis by Mr. Injector, I wouldn't spend the extra money on them....just personal opinion.
SteveL
I installed one side (2 injectors) to replace the one that was leaking. Car runs smoother than before. I'll install the other side tomorrow.
The only issue I have is that I had to lengthen the fuel lines to the fuel rail to allow for the straight shorty hoses on the injectors.
It looks like AA usually sells the curved injector lines, but they are out of stock.
Once I get the other side done, I'll send my Bosch injectors to Mr. Injector to have a backups.

OK, fuel geyser resolved. Now to find why fuel pressure suddenly drops to 0 intermittently...

Thanks all!
ClayPerrine
For those of you running L-Jet on a 1.8, go to FLAPS and get 4 injectors for a 1980 Datsun 280ZX. Nippondenso built the L-Jet system for Nissan/Datsun under license from Bosch, and the injectors for the Z are mechanically and electrically the same ones used on the 912E. The 912E was L-Jet on a 2.0 914 engine, and the injectors are interchangeable.

Here is some info on them:

Beck/Arnley Part Number 158-0099
Used on Alfa Romeo, Fiat, Jaguar, Nissan, Opel, Porsche, Renault, Triumph

Hope that helps.

Clay
FlacaProductions
Here are the FJ67's I'm running - 74 2.0 - same stubby appearance but they seem to work great. Stock/standard seals fit as normal.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
wonkipop
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 19 2021, 09:32 PM) *

For those of you running L-Jet on a 1.8, go to FLAPS and get 4 injectors for a 1980 Datsun 280ZX. Nippondenso built the L-Jet system for Nissan/Datsun under license from Bosch, and the injectors for the Z are mechanically and electrically the same ones used on the 912E. The 912E was L-Jet on a 2.0 914 engine, and the injectors are interchangeable.

Here is some info on them:

Beck/Arnley Part Number 158-0099
Used on Alfa Romeo, Fiat, Jaguar, Nissan, Opel, Porsche, Renault, Triumph

Hope that helps.

Clay

i'm filing this info, thanks. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.