Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Modified 73 914 2.8 GT sells on BaT
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
raynekat
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-porsche-914-6-53/

An "ok" car that had let's say lots of patina.

Selling for $95k plus the BaT buyer's fee of 5% puts the sales price at nearly $100k.

Pretty strong for this car.
Car definitely looks great from 10' away.

wonkipop
wish my old mate the late b. c. was alive to see this.
he took so much sh$t for years from the "propers" about his love for 914s.

i suppose it makes sense? whats going on? from 10 feet away. beerchug.gif
MCShack
Yep, someone paid $100k for a $30k very highly modified ‘73 914/4 converted non-original six. 10-footer is right, it only looks worse upon closer inspection.Highly restored, refurbished car with a rebuilt six fitted in it a ‘73 outlaw GT looking wannabe that was not even that nicely done.

A great looking light ivory white, mostly all original ‘75 2.0L sold for $30k just before it that was twice as nice, a 5-footer or better for sure. People are BaTshit crazy right now.
mb911
Guess it's time to sell mine. Wow
Jett
QUOTE(raynekat @ Aug 13 2021, 12:28 AM) *

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-porsche-914-6-53/

An "ok" car that had let's say lots of patina.

Selling for $95k plus the BaT buyer's fee of 5% puts the sales price at nearly $100k.

Pretty strong for this car.
Car definitely looks great from 10' away.

+1 I did not like all of the unnecessary short cuts that were visible. I expect your six to fetch a bunch more!
roblav1
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 13 2021, 07:41 AM) *

I differ that it wasn't a $30K car. During the auction, I was thinking $60K. Just the engine and butt welded steel flares amounts to $30K.

But I was thinking the same thing about selling.. and also that mine is better than that blue one.

Clearly, there's a market for nice 914's. But there's few people with time and capability to bring them to that level. The orange 1971 car currently listed FS here is a really good candidate.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 13 2021, 04:41 AM) *

^ Hate reading this.
RiqueMar
I see this as a GT-inspired street car, and like it.

Sure, a few weird things in the build, but still very nice. Hope the new owner enjoys.
eric9144
In an odd way, perhaps it's good for all of us (cars are finally fetching huge money) and yes it makes me think of selling at least one of them also, perhaps my big 6 (light years above the blue BAT GT in fit, finish and components), keeping the 4 that drew me into 914's in the first place...

In another way I think it's going to hurt the community and the 914 "world" as we know it as prices on stromberg.gif cars start fetching absurd money, the entire 914 crowd will shift, and all of the CSOB's will loose their collective minds over it.

I'd always embraced the "rat bastard" view of the 914 amongst the pinky lifting 911 crowd and liked that I was the odd man out.

I remember when you could find a pretty nice early 911 here in San Diego for under $10k all day long and it wasn't that long ago, perhaps 914's are finally going the same way, perhaps we're at the end of an era dry.gif
Jgilliam914
I figured it to be a mid 60’s car as well.
Mine will have more goodies than this. A 3.6 and a 915 for starters.
By the time I’m done I am going to enjoy the hell out of it regardless of what it’s worth.
Steve
QUOTE(Jgilliam914 @ Aug 13 2021, 08:15 AM) *

I figured it to be a mid 60’s car as well.
Mine will have more goodies than this. A 3.6 and a 915 for starters.
By the time I’m done I am going to enjoy the hell out of it regardless of what it’s worth.

agree.gif
Nice to know they are worth this much. My Euro 3.2 GT with Martin Bott 916 trans is a blast to drive. And now I just spent over $30k in motor and parts to convert to a 993 motor. It's nice to know, I could get my money back out of my project if I had to.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Aug 13 2021, 08:13 AM) *

In an odd way, perhaps it's good for all of us (cars are finally fetching huge money) and yes it makes me think of selling at least one of them also, perhaps my big 6 (light years above the blue BAT GT in fit, finish and components), keeping the 4 that drew me into 914's in the first place...

In another way I think it's going to hurt the community and the 914 "world" as we know it as prices on stromberg.gif cars start fetching absurd money, the entire 914 crowd will shift, and all of the CSOB's will loose their collective minds over it.

I'd always embraced the "rat bastard" view of the 914 amongst the pinky lifting 911 crowd and liked that I was the odd man out.

I remember when you could find a pretty nice early 911 here in San Diego for under $10k all day long and it wasn't that long ago, perhaps 914's are finally going the same way, perhaps we're at the end of an era dry.gif

Yes, to all that. Except maybe selling your big 6.

Perhaps it's the end of an era in one sense, but the game has always moved on with anything of value, and the 914 always had value even if it didn't have the pricing to match. Which, of course, was appealing for those who recognized its value (driving fun, handling, utility, superb engineering, minimalist styling, etc etc…).

And now, perhaps, the game moves on to the 986—a great sports car that finds itself where the 914 once was in many ways. The M96 is the new hell hole, but it sure sounds great on cam—and they've made four generations of the Boxster/Cayman over 25 years vs just one generation of the 914 over seven model years. I'd rather have the 914 I've had for 31 years than a Boxster, but I am not sure I would buy another 914 at these prices if something happened to mine. When cross shop includes Ferraris and modern 911s, well, I have a tough time making the "value" equation work. Clearly, others don't…and they'll get a great car and a great Porsche in the 914. Roughly the same as a Beetle in terms of technology and complexity, but with an open-top, mid-engined chassis that benefits from technique and engineering that was well ahead of its time. It's a hard combination to beat.

I do wonder, however, if the time is coming to move "market" and $ discussions to another forum. I've seen them kill the fun of other forums…
mb911
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Aug 13 2021, 06:26 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 13 2021, 04:41 AM) *

^ Hate reading this.

I just think about where my car started 6 years ago as 2500 dollar POS that had been wrecked, clipped in the 70s ,brazed, rusted and now it's a pretty nice car but I just don't think it's 100k car but if it were I would sell and build another as my dad has a nice base car I could build. I am gun shy though as I know what my car is and most people on this forum know what it is but I worry about expectations from buyers. My car is a 10 footer maybe a 5 footer but nothing more than that. It's well put together no doubt but man that's a bunch of money.
wonkipop
a 4 is for sale in australia.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/19...D-7305422/?Cr=0

its on the vin database here but had gone MIA.
# 4732922823
the member who had ( @campbellcj ) it then noted it had gone off to australia.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...mp;viewid=12567

can't work out if its a black vinyl A pillar car or just black painted A pillar.
its a late 73.
campbellcj
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Aug 13 2021, 02:25 PM) *

# 4732922823

can't work out if its a black vinyl A pillar car or just black painted A pillar.
its a late 73.

smile.gif OMG it finally showed up! I believe I bought that car in 1998-99 here in the LA area and then sold it in early 2002 due to new baby and house. It initially went to Austin TX as I recall then to Australia not long after. I really loved that car - was really clean, non-rusty & original overall, except for repaint(s). D-Jet worked great. I daily-drove it for a while in Brentwood/Santa Monica and it got a lot of attention even back in that timeframe, which I think was largely the color (ravenna).

The sail 'vinyl' area was indeed paint not vinyl, when I bought it. From the pics it looks like it's been really well taken care of, and not hacked-up for RHD, which is awesome if the case!
Jett
Car is beautiful!
wonkipop
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Aug 14 2021, 07:56 AM) *

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Aug 13 2021, 02:25 PM) *

# 4732922823

its a late 73.

smile.gif OMG it finally showed up! I believe I bought that car in 1998-99 here in the LA area and then sold it in early 2002 due to new baby and house. It initially went to Austin TX as I recall then to Australia not long after. I really loved that car - was really clean, non-rusty & original overall, except for repaint(s). D-Jet worked great. I daily-drove it for a while in Brentwood/Santa Monica and it got a lot of attention even back in that timeframe, which I think was largely the color (ravenna).

The sail 'vinyl' area was indeed paint not vinyl, when I bought it. From the pics it looks like it's been really well taken care of, and not hacked-up for RHD, which is awesome if the case!

looks to me as clean as when you owned it @campbellcj .
details say that its been with that one australian owner since it came here.
i'm locked down again here or i would go check it out.
the whole eastern seaboard of aus is locked down, no travel between states. sad.gif
the car is in new south wales somewhere, where the covid outbreak is, so no chance of travelling there.
nothing as good has been for sale here for years.
55 AUD = 40 USD.

yes no need for rhd conversions anymore.
theoretically the car would be a world market car and could be shipped back to the usa or go to europe.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.