Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cleaning Oil off driveway
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
What works and where do I get it?
GaroldShaffer
how much oil & how long has it been there?? I have had great luck with just plian clay type cat litter. Put some over the oil spot, wait about 10 min, take your foot and grind it in to the stain and wait a few min more and then sweep it up. Spot is gone clap56.gif

I have done this with stains that were a month old and had no problems. This was on our cement driveway.
tat2dphreak
call me cheap, but I use Laundry detergent... it works very well
TheCabinetmaker
Raw portland cement. spread it around. add a little water. let it soak a few minutes. scrub a bit with your broom and rinse it away.
Porsche Rescue
I have good luck with kitty litter too. It works best if you dribble a little gasoline on the spot, cover with litter, wait a while, sweep up.
J P Stein
Wait till it rains.
Sprinkle on some Tide....the cheep, low effort solution.
seanery
Thanks for the suggestions. This is for a friend of mine who is selling her house. She said the stain is a couple years old. Does that make a difference?
madd_dogg_914
I actually do something a little bit different than some of the answers given. I use grease on the oil spots. A little bit of grease goes a long way. Sprinkle your favorite cleaner (Castrol super clean, Simple Green, Laundry detergent, etc) Add grease and then rinse.

I use a special kind of grease, ELBOW GREASE

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Seriously though, just use your cleaner of choice and a pressure washer. If anyone owns a 914 then they should have apressure washer. Works great. I got a stain out from like 5 years ago on our driveway.

-Chris
dan10101
Koke a Kola...
Special name brand available at specialty stores near you...

Or Simple Green.

Or Brake Klean

Or Tide

Probably in revers order. I'd try them all until you find the one that works best.
Uncle Richy
I'm sure people will scream, but if all of the above fail, try hydrocloric acid. Nasty stuff used to clean out drain pipes. You can get it at Home Despot.
TravisNeff
There is some driveway cleaner you can get from home depot & the like, it is an etching acid that you can dilute with water, got my rusty battery drippings that were 1 yr old off of the driveway at full force (no dilution). careful cuz it does remove the top layer of concrete (as in etch) and you will probably need to hit the whole driveway to make it look even
ninefourteener
Nope...... better than anything you can buy, and it's cheap, and it will work.

If you breath too much of it, you will die though smile.gif , so be careful... make sure there are no kids around, and it's well ventilated.

Dawn liquid soap and Bleach... mix them together, scrub with broom.... done
tod914
ADDIMENT - oil and stain remover for concrete/stone

You can get it at home depot - stuff works great
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.