Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steve Magnante - Motor Trend
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ClayPerrine
It just ended on Motor trend channel.

Steve Magnante did a feature on European sports cars, and the 914 was the featured car...

Click to view attachment

Everything he said about the 914 was complementary.

smilie_pokal.gif
wonkipop
^ whats happened to the world?

i'm going to lose my sense of self at this rate.
think i will miss being a leper. beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
Steve is a walking encyclopedia of car knowledge. I caught that episode when I got home from Werks Reunion and had to smile at the timing. beerchug.gif
gms
Click to view attachment
Jim C
Nice segment, but if I heard him correctly he said Porsche had been owned by VW for the last 45 years. Hasn't been that long.
Shivers
"Volkswagen and Porsche merged in 2011. Volkswagen Group is also the parent company of various other luxury car brands, including Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, and Lamborghini."

mb911
QUOTE(Shivers @ Aug 16 2021, 04:56 AM) *

"Volkswagen and Porsche merged in 2011. Volkswagen Group is also the parent company of various other luxury car brands, including Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, and Lamborghini."

I agree the above is a correct. If memory serves it was a bit of a hostile take over?
Jim C
It was. Porsche chief Wendelin Wiedeking tried to take over VW but the state of Saxony(?) a major VW shareholder wouldn't play ball and VW gobbled up Porsche. Wiedeking was fired, prosecuted, and now runs a pizza chain I believe. Porsche Holdings however is the major shareholder in VW.
mb911
QUOTE(Jim C @ Aug 16 2021, 06:19 AM) *

It was. Porsche chief Wendelin Wiedeking tried to take over VW but the state of Saxony(?) a major VW shareholder wouldn't play ball and VW gobbled up Porsche. Wiedeking was fired, prosecuted, and now runs a pizza chain I believe. Porsche Holdings however is the major shareholder in VW.

Yes correct so one wonders who owns who and who is really calling the shots.
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 16 2021, 10:35 AM) *

QUOTE(Jim C @ Aug 16 2021, 06:19 AM) *

Yes correct so one wonders who owns who and who is really calling the shots.

My very limited understanding is the company called "Porsche" has more than one business in it's name and VW doesn't own the entire lot.
Jamie
QUOTE(Shivers @ Aug 16 2021, 04:56 AM) *

And Ducati motorcycles! aktion035.gif
914e

What was the name of the show?
GregAmy
Roadkill's Junkyard Gold. This one's a re-run, I think it was on early in the year.

He's really big into Mopars, but it's freakin' amazing how much he knows about Everything American (of course, it's a recorded show, so he can look up the details, but he talks like he really does know this stuff).

He's got a new show on Motor Trend, Steve Magnante's Super Models, where he builds Revell kits of various historical cars while he tells us the histories. Takes bits and pieces from different kits to build the car with all the right details.

Motor Trend is the only streaming app I spend money for, and it's worth every penny to a gearhead.
adolimpio
I've always respected his knowledge, but I'm not very knowledgeable about most American cars. However, I've spent a lot of time with the 914 and was disappointed that he got a couple of things wrong.

I believe the 914 was introduced in 1969, not 1970 as he said.

He also referred to the early cumbersome shift linkage, with a number of 90 degree turns which caused it to shift poorly. Although this is obviously correct, the solution he references is a fairy tail. He said the shift linkage was improved in 1976 with a new linkage made of cables and pulleys. Wrong year and totally wrong solution.

He unfortunately lost a wee bit of credibility, but I'll still look forward to new episodes
wonkipop
QUOTE(Jim C @ Aug 16 2021, 08:19 AM) *

piech was lining them (and weideking?) up the whole time.
finally got his revenge for what happened in 1971?
he got to sit at the head of the whole lot finally.
as far as he was concerned it was always all his (vw and porsche) and was meant to be - direct line from the grandfather.
Justinp71

That was a nice watch, lots of praise on the 914. He did seem to like the idea of a 914-6...
Arno914
...all I can see on this junkyard picture are a lot of salvageable parts on this 914... sad.gif
gms
I am amused that you guys think Steve Magnante just walks thru a junkyard and
spits out these facts, look at the credits on the show there are many technical
writers...ahh the magic of television!
Cairo94507
Well he may have research assistants, but when he is at any of the auctions and is commenting on cars "on the block" he spouts all kinds of facts and I doubt he researches all of these cars before the auction. He may get help, but I think he is car savant. beerchug.gif
GregAmy
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 18 2021, 05:17 PM) *
He may get help, but I think he is car savant. beerchug.gif

He has to know his stuff, because even if they fed me all that BS 30 seconds prior I'd look at the camera and be all like, "code 487echo, slash...uhh...wut?" He knows his stuff.

He's more than a talking head. He's written TONS of technical and historical articles for Hot Rod and has had several legendary builds. It's clear he was that car-geek kid in high school.

His "Roadkill Junkyard Gold" is an offshoot of "Roadkill" (duh); Mgnante would scour junkyards and find the cars for Freyburger and Finnegan for their road trips. They decided to spin him off into his own series. And now he does the same info-schtick with Revel model cars.

As I noted above, the Motor Trend app is its own gold. ~$45/yr streaming and the content is worth every penny.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.