Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How would you approach this battery tray rust?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Happy weekend all.

Was hoping to get some thoughts on how you would suggest I approach this battery tray rust. Is step one cutting out the battery trying to get access to the metal behind it?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
rjames
Remove and replace. Clean the rust off of the surface areas below to make sure there are no perforations. What happens next depends on what you find.
SirAndy
QUOTE(rjames @ Aug 14 2021, 12:39 PM) *

Remove and replace. Wire wheel all of the surface areas of the 'hell hole' to make sure there are no rust through areas. What happens next depends on what you find.

agree.gif
Front yard mechanic
Step one , order a new tray & support restoration design has them . Step two sneak up on the removal try not to make holes in the wheel house . Step three four five sex ,never mind I lost my place
windforfun
agree.gif
Tdskip
Dammit man, I’m on the edge of my seat waiting for step five and six!

(thank you for the responses, will do exactly as suggested)
sholman5
Rusted tray.Click to view attachmentground, blasted, epoxy primed. Drilled three holes through the wheel well to mount tray. Then drilled 3 holes in the channel and installed threaded inserts to attach the support to. All can be removed at any time since there was no welding.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
sholman5
I used rubber washers in between the wheel well and battery tray and the same thing between the support and channel inserts.Click to view attachment
windforfun
Why rubber washers?
Front yard mechanic
QUOTE(windforfun @ Aug 14 2021, 05:28 PM) *

Why rubber washers?

That's step sex I'm mean six
wonkipop
step 23 is going to be interesting.

i'd be poking around down there behind the empty skull that had a brain in it.

its worth it now that the world has fallen in love with german minimalism. beerchug.gif
sholman5
QUOTE(windforfun @ Aug 14 2021, 09:28 PM) *

Why rubber washers?

No metal to metal contact. Basically a buffer between the two.
930cabman
Hard to tell, but has the rust traveled to the "hell hole" area? or firewall?
ctc911ctc
Never once had a hell hole that clean.........very envious......

How are the longs on the passenger side?
windforfun
QUOTE(sholman5 @ Aug 15 2021, 08:29 AM) *

QUOTE(windforfun @ Aug 14 2021, 09:28 PM) *

Why rubber washers?

No metal to metal contact. Basically a buffer between the two.

The car is full of metal-to-metal contact. Maybe the vibration will keep the battery acid nice & stirred?
Tdskip
Thanks for the ongoing discussion.

The rest of the car is really clean, I need to take the rocker covers off but this is the only rust that I’ve found and it looks good underneath.

Can I ask if there’s any tips on cutting or drilling the shelf out? I assume there’s some spot welds that can be drilled or is it a matter of using an angle grinder and cutting disc?

Thanks!
bkrantz
I would also buy or borrow a bore scope, and snake it down into the long cavity. There is a 3/4 inch hole in the top of the same surface that the battery tray support is welded to, to the rear of the battery. You can look for rust on the inner surfaces, especially the top and bottom of the long cavity.
Tdskip
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Aug 15 2021, 10:53 PM) *

I would also buy or borrow a bore scope, and snake it down into the long cavity. There is a 3/4 inch hole in the top of the same surface that the battery tray support is welded to, to the rear of the battery. You can look for rust on the inner surfaces, especially the top and bottom of the long cavity.

Good tip/reminder, will do.

Any coaching on how to cleanly remove the battery tray?
930cabman
I would start with a Spot weld cutter or Die grinder
Tdskip
QUOTE(930cabman @ Aug 16 2021, 10:24 AM) *

I would start with a Spot weld cutter or Die grinder

Thank you
sixaddict
So I am getting to have a 70 with no real damage to hell whole but tray and support has been removed painted.

My intention was to have new one welded in then painted however I cannot see how to get complete coverage that way. The solution on the blue car is interesting…….as it allows
for completing paint then installing tray/support.
I would like to do it as the factory did.
Can someone weigh in as to a solution
TIA

QUOTE(sholman5 @ Aug 14 2021, 05:11 PM) *

I used rubber washers in between the wheel well and battery tray and the same thing between the support and channel inserts.Click to view attachment
sixaddict
Getting ready to paint (sorry for cryptic post)
windforfun
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Aug 15 2021, 08:53 PM) *

Rigid makes a nice one. It's easy to use with good image quality. It wasn't expensive.
Tdskip
Hi folks – just wanted to follow up on this thread to say that I appreciate the help and I followed your coaching and it was relatively straightforward to get the tree out.

I need a wire brush this all really well still but I’m happy to report that the metal underneath us is all super solid and I haven’t found anything yet that’s beyond minor surface rust. (more spot weld clean up and wire brushing to follow, I’ll take a stand a bear metal and then hit it with phosphoric acid before getting paint on it)

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.