Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LED headlight install complete!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
oakdalecurtis
Hi gang
I just finished installing 914Rubber's LED plug and play front headlights. I used Ian's video to help me aim them correctly.

https://youtu.be/TkTa0JSenk0

A few additional thoughts. I wanted to make sure that the car was absolutely square to the front of the garage after backing it out 25 feet from the front targeting wall. If the car is even a few degrees off, the headlight's aim would be off significantly. Here's a few photos of my method to square the car. I measured the center line's distance from and adjacent garage side wall (assuming the sidewall is perpendicular to the front wall, check if in doubt). Then I attached a string at the front wall at "car center" and ran it back 40 feet, while measuring it to the garage side wall at the far end to make sure the string was parallel to the side wall. Tape the line at the back to the ground.

Then I attached a two small weighted indicator lines on my 914 at the front and rear bumper. As long as those hanging lines are over the long center string on the ground the car is square to the front wall. It was surprising how the car could be 6 inches or more off the center line and not be able to notice it without the help of the string lines. Pictures below...
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Aug 14 2021, 04:01 PM) *

Hi gang
I just finished installing 914Rubber's LED plug and play front headlights. I used Ian's video to help me aim them correctly.

A few additional thoughts. I wanted to make sure that the car was absolutely square to the front of the garage after backing it out 25 feet from the front targeting wall. If the car is even a few degrees off, the headlight's aim would be off significantly. Here's a few photos of my method to square the car. I measured the center line's distance from and adjacent garage side wall (assuming the sidewall is perpendicular to the front wall, check if in doubt). Then I attached a string at the front wall at "car center" and ran it back 40 feet, while measuring it to the garage side wall at the far end to make sure the string was parallel to the side wall. Tape the line at the back to the ground.

Then I attached a two small weighted indicator lines on my 914 at the front and rear bumper. As long as those hanging lines are over the long center string on the ground the car is square to the front wall. It was surprising how the car could be 6 inches or more off the center line and not be able to notice it without the help of the string lines. Pictures below...
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Aug 14 2021, 04:03 PM) *

Hi gang

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Aug 14 2021, 04:04 PM) *

QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Aug 14 2021, 04:03 PM) *

Hi gang

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
iankarr
Glad the video was helpful. The string trick is a great tip!
Montreal914
Thank you for sharing this "Brilliant" trick! (pun... rolleyes.gif )

Gatornapper
My driveway (through surrounding landowners property) is 1/2 mile long.

Far better than aiming my 914rubber LED headlights against a garage or wall, I take the 914 to a straight stretch and align the lights for the real world. I put a towel over one headlight while working on the other, check Hi & Lo beams, go to other.

Works far better for me than wall or garage door.

If you don't have a long stretch of driveway on which to do this, you all are welcome to come here and use ours. biggrin.gif

GN
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.