Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: This 914-4 might just be worth the asking price
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
raynekat
$64,595 on Ebay but Wow.

Great color (delphi green) and great interior as well.
Supposedly only 13k miles.
If it looks as nice underneath, a great deal for this car.

Needs better pics or an in-person visit for sure.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154551004844?hash=...cQAAOSwQPtg3Nvd

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
bkrantz
What's the Lambo dealer premium?
wonkipop
knock 20K off for the hood badge. poke.gif
Superhawk996
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Aug 15 2021, 02:07 AM) *

agree.gif

Not buying that it is 13k original miles but it shows up on Ebay instead of a more conventional auction?

Also the engine tin 621 stamp looks bogus in my opinion vs other OE stamps I’ve seen in person on original tin taken off stock engines
StarBear
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Aug 15 2021, 08:38 AM) *

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Aug 15 2021, 02:07 AM) *

agree.gif

Not buying that it is 13k original miles but it shows up on Ebay instead of a more conventional auction?

Also the engine tin 621 stamp looks bogus in my opinion vs other OE stamps I’ve seen in person on original tin taken off stock engines

agree.gif agree.gif To both. Looks really nice but doubt the 13k miles. Surprised someone took out the center console. Nearby so might check it out.
rjames
It might be truly exquisite, but it's really hard to tell from the dark stylized photos.
jrmdir
I think that Lambo Dlr ad has been around for a while.

Always Google the VIN:

2016 RL add asking $50K - https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-marketp...-914-2-0-a.html Only a couple hundred miles in 5 yrs?

2019 Sold @ Amelia Island for $64,960 + premium

Lambo ad says: "He states that only minimal, as-needed restoration work has been done"
Seller in 2016: "It has been repainted in original color of Delphi Green"

Superhawk: +1 on the engine shroud numbers - see below. New numbers could be consistent with desire to win concours but at that level I'd have tried to find the proper font and stamp effect.

Click to view attachment
jrmdir
Still a nice car but I did think I'd seen it before: No sale 2 weeks ago: https://www.ebay.com/itm/154513415801?hash=...cQAAOSwQPtg3Nvd

AND: Bonus points for what's wrong in this photo?

Click to view attachment
Superhawk996
QUOTE(jrmdir @ Aug 15 2021, 11:03 AM) *

Superhawk: +1 on the engine shroud numbers - see below. New numbers could be consistent with desire to win concours but at that level I'd have tried to find the proper font and stamp effect.

Click to view attachment

I would have assumed that would get you a points deduction at
Concours but honestly I don’t know squat about concours - not my thing.

For $64k he should at least learn from @bbrock and have asked to borrow his tin stamps! av-943.gif
Superhawk996
QUOTE(jrmdir @ Aug 15 2021, 11:11 AM) *

Still a nice car but I did think I'd seen it before: No sale 2 weeks ago: https://www.ebay.com/itm/154513415801?hash=...cQAAOSwQPtg3Nvd

Click to view attachment

lol-2.gif aktion035.gif

Mismatched gauges. I missed that obvious one! So did the concours judges? laugh.gif So much stromberg.gif trying to be passed off as high end and original. Buyer beware.
73-914
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Aug 15 2021, 11:17 AM) *

Click to view attachment

lol-2.gif aktion035.gif

Mismatched gauges. I missed that obvious one! So much stromberg.gif trying to be passed off as high end and original. I guess the concours judges did too? laugh.gif Buyer beware.

agree.gif Typical "Stealership" move
FlacaProductions
I just sent a (respectful) note asking about the different gauges....we'll see what the response is.
FlacaProductions
Update: here's the July 2012 issue of Hemmings Sports and Exotics in question. Appears even back then, the speedo had already been changed.

July 2012 issue of Hemmings Sports and Exotics
https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/ve...porsche-914-2-0
mepstein
Common to just replace a speedometer with whatever was on hand. Only an issue if you are trusting the odometer to tell you true mileage.
Ansbacher
Somebody went crazy with the macro lens they got for Christmas. What useless and ridiculous pictures.

Ansbacher
Superhawk996
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 15 2021, 12:32 PM) *

Common to just replace a speedometer with whatever was on hand. Only an issue if you are trusting the odometer to tell you true mileage.

Bottom line - if the speedo is changed it is dishonest at best to claim original miles
iankarr
I've seen this car in person. It's at Gaswerks in NJ. Shot a little video of it, too as part of an episode I did on my friend's 911...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT-Zan7KB6c&t=114s

The car was up on a lift so I didn't see the mistmatched gauges. Hmm...
914sgofast2
QUOTE(jrmdir @ Aug 15 2021, 08:11 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Speedo been replaced!
914sgofast2
Low miles are very easy to accumulate on a 914 because the odometers always break long before the speedometer needle function does! Mine read 87,567 miles for 20+ years!
mepstein
QUOTE(914sgofast2 @ Aug 15 2021, 01:29 PM) *

Low miles are very easy to accumulate on a 914 because the odometers always break long before the speedometer needle function does! Mine read 87,567 miles for 20+ years!

They do tend to go right around 80-90k.
Gaswerks is a cool shop but they are there to sell cars, not protect the interests of the buyer.
I’m not a buyer but I would hope anyone spending this kind of money on a car would do their due diligence.
poorsche914

Click to view attachment

Actually... '74s did not have the silver button (yeah, yeah, some early ones had the silver dot). So was the speedo swapped? Or was the tach swapped? stirthepot.gif

driving.gif
FlacaProductions
good point on maybe the tach being swapped.
wonkipop
QUOTE(iankarr @ Aug 15 2021, 11:27 AM) *

I've seen this car in person. It's at Gaswerks in NJ. Shot a little video of it, too as part of an episode I did on my friend's 911...

interesting vid.
except the rockers don't have "the original textured finish".
wasn't a textured finish from factory. smooth satin black.

just looked at the full set of photos
not original carpet for a brown interior?
was salt and pepper brown for loop.

its a v. clean car but.
restored.
Spoke

Click to view attachment

They changed out the tach to get individual L and R turnsignal indicators. I had a '74 914 with that single L<>R indicator. I bought an early tach, removed the guts and installed the '74 tach guts and got the individual L and R indicators. However I knew enough to replace the needle with the '74 needle....
JamesM

QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Aug 15 2021, 09:44 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Actually... '74s did not have the silver button (yeah, yeah, some early ones had the silver dot). So was the speedo swapped? Or was the tach swapped? stirthepot.gif

driving.gif

The 74 I had the came with the sliver dot gauges also still had the charcoal canister up front. This car appears to have come with the engine bay canister, so best guess it originally had black center gauges.

Surprised no one has commented on the two tone door panels yet.
iankarr
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Aug 15 2021, 06:46 PM) *

interesting vid.

its a v. clean car but.
restored.

Hmm...everything I've read on originality says that the front and rear valances and rocker panels had a schutz-textured finish more subtle than the targa top and were painted satin black (except possibly for very early 70's. @pat garvey has done extensive research on this. Clearly this car looks somewhat restored and may not be as original as I was told. But I believe the texture is correct. Happy to be proven otherwise...
73-914
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Aug 14 2021, 11:45 PM) *

What's the Lambo dealer premium?

Chris H.
Wish we could tell our old buddy JP Stein that a Delphi 914-4 was listed for $65,000.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Lambo paramus is a very reputable company, but the car is obviously very poorly presented on e bay. Also with the gauge switch, who knows HOW many miles are on the car? Large close up pictures would tell. The rubber stamp on the left cylinder cover has obviously been redone. Low mile cars do not always exist in their original condition. For example we have a documented olympic blue one owner 73 2.0 here with 50 thousand original miles but from Massachusetts so you can imagine the "dolling up" we needed to do to the car. Even with original paint.
Shivers
QUOTE(iankarr @ Aug 16 2021, 06:31 AM) *

interesting vid.

its a v. clean car but.
restored.

Hmm...everything I've read on originality says that the front and rear valances and rocker panels had a schutz-textured finish more subtle than the targa top and were painted satin black (except possibly for very early 70's. @pat garvey has done extensive research on this. Clearly this car looks somewhat restored and may not be as original as I was told. But I believe the texture is correct. Happy to be proven otherwise...

This is a close up pic of my 1972 rocker panel. I know that this panel was like this in 1978. It still has the original paint on the body, I sprayed the rockers in 1982 when I got it. But some of the texture still shows.

Click to view attachment
Superhawk996
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 16 2021, 09:59 AM) *

Lambo paramus is a very reputable company, but the car is obviously very poorly presented on e bay. Also with the gauge switch, who knows HOW many miles are on the car? Large close up pictures would tell. The rubber stamp on the left cylinder cover has obviously been redone. Low mile cars do not always exist in their original condition. For example we have a documented olympic blue one owner 73 2.0 here with 50 thousand original miles but from Massachusetts so you can imagine the "dolling up" we needed to do to the car. Even with original paint.

All above points made are fair w.r.t. maintenance (or restoration). The big underlying problems:

1) Price -- there is a big difference in pricing premium between a well maintained or restored 50K mile car and an original, documented 13K mile car.

2) Underlying misrepresentations and/or errors of omission that were previously pointed out via Google VIN search for history of the car. I continue to be amazed by the number of people that fail to recognize that the internet has fundamentally changed access to information.

I may be in minority. I see red flags all over this one at that price point. There is good marketing and then there is outright lying. Apparently that line no longer exists for some folks.

Is it a beautiful car? Yes - I'm sure it is.

Is it a car with 13K original miles and only maintained to keep it healthy and drivable? Not by a long shot based upon the posted photos. What are the odds and what would have to be true for a car to be 47 years old but to only have accumulated 13,000 miles? For sure there are a couple truly low mileage /4 914's out there that have changed hands over the years and at a real price premium for that originality and low mileage status.

Those sales didn't happen via eBay. Buyer Beware. Odd to me that the Lambo dealer even has it on eBay. I would think there is a far better chance that potential Lambo customer with ample cash would walk into their facility and buy it with walking around money as a fun toy to add to a collection than finding the buyer on eBay. confused24.gif
wonkipop
QUOTE(iankarr @ Aug 16 2021, 07:31 AM) *

interesting vid.

its a v. clean car but.
restored.

no its very smoothly applied whatever it is, and it could be shultz but not like any shultz i have seen, its more like a super fine orange peel - not like you see most shultz. so smooth as to be almost undetectable until you get right up close - satin not gloss or flat finish coat.
i have full original paint still on my car, long time second owner so i have a reasonable thing to look at and go by.

we could be talking about the same thing, but the texture on the rockers on the green car seems a way off - too textured. at least in the video.
EDIT - maybe its the lighting, see my post below, you get a flash on the camera and it exaggerates the texture in a misleading way?

of course maybe it depended on the guy in the factory on the day or the temp in the spray booth. my whole car is very orange peeled! you can always tell the original paint, its actually pretty bad compared to a lot of high quality resprays.
wonkipop
i went out and took some shots.
cars in the garage, flash kept going off up close which kind of exaggerates things.
by accident i took a freakish shot that captured orange peel on the black bumpers themselves.

there is one shot without the flash going off from further back. gives a more natural view of the varying texture gloss levels.

forced to describe it all i'd go so far as to say the bumper paint texture is not significantly different to the rockers and valence. but the lower stuff has a satin, very low gloss paint and the bumpers are a higher gloss paint. and they might be the same paint apart from gloss levels. and i don't think its shutlz. its something else. i've been putting shultz on another car in the wheel wells - not sure you could get shultz to come out that way it is on a 914 but i could be wrong. maybe they had a special gun? i would guess the bumpers and valences etc are painted with a formula that is designed to give a subtle orange peel that is not as exaggerated as shultz,

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

freak bumper shot. front bumper orange peel. you get the car into the right light you can see it all over it. even the phoneix red is pretty orange peel.

Click to view attachment
wonkipop
re other point, carpet.

this is what you would expect to see on a 74, brown interior, with 13K miles with loop carpet.

(for reference, ok, its RHD, but this is original factory stock carpet, correct for the car ti got hold of from porsche aust in 1991. it was shipped in from germany. remaining bit of the last roll i was told when i bought it. i grabbed it, all of it. was just enough to do the car. matches exactly lhd carpets i took out of the car which i still have.)

Click to view attachment

the green car is a very clean car, nicely restored, but not a 13K original car.
its probably better than having an original car with 13K miles because at least you can drive it.

wonkipop
i got mine out in the sun today.
did an oil change. end of winter, start of spring and the sun was shining.
down at the workshop.
i have an orignal car. its battle damaged but its still wearing factory paint.
and it is battle damaged, everywhere, but i refuse to restore it.

i took some shots. without flash altering perception.
whatever is on the painted bumpers is the same as the valences and rockers.
its less glossy is all.
i do not think its shultz.
if it is its on the bumpers too but higher gloss.

that green car, nice as it is, does not have this finish on the rockers.
small point and not trying to be pendantic a-hole.
but here we are half a century after they were made and there is so much confusion now about what they were really like when the germans knocked them up and churned them out the door.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Arno914
Thank you for this valuable reference, wonkipop! beerchug.gif

I am in the process of repainting the valances on my ´71 applying semi gloss black paint. Using a spray gun with 1.8mm (relatively large) nozzle and low pressure. Comes out quite nice, a bit more textured, though. (Should have used a new can of paint instead of beeing cheap and using up some left-overs.)
Anyway, my car. I like it. dry.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

wonkipop
@Arno914-- good stuff mate.

years ago down here when they were first organising the aus grand prix in melbourne.'
the two maseratis that had run in the 1950s grand prix at melbourne were assembled side by side. was back in the 90s.
one of those cars had never left melbourne and had never been touched since those times. the other had left sometime along the way, in the 80s and had been purchased by an american collector in the 80s and restored.

when you looked at them side by side only one of them really hit you in the guts and just communicated what it was really like in the 1950s when they were made.

the other one while it was magnificent was a fantasy.

but thats not to say you could not remake the 50s, its just that the restoration went off right off piste. if you know what i mean.

whereas you look like you are trying to stay on the ski run. beerchug.gif

its important to be as awful as the cars really were. to get the right look.

or just go resto mod, or whatever. but don't do a "real" restoration and get it wrong!
because that imparts inaccurate technical information into history.
rfinegan
Combo gage has a Silver button to match the tach,... the Speed is mismatched?

So who knows...not original "gauge" for sure
Rick986
QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Aug 15 2021, 11:13 AM) *

Somebody went crazy with the macro lens they got for Christmas. What useless and ridiculous pictures.

Ansbacher

agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.