Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Power Bleeder - Looking for recommendations
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RiqueMar
Hi Everyone

Looking for recommendations on brake bleeders / power bleeders. What have you got, where did you get it, and do you like it? bye1.gif
GregAmy
The HF vac one is surprisingly useful...

https://www.harborfreight.com/pneumatic-air...-kit-57057.html
mepstein
Motive power bleeder. Order on Amazon.
anderssj
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 16 2021, 02:46 PM) *

agree.gif

and it works great on a variety of European cars in addition to the 914 (Volvo 240s, Volvo S80, Audi 5000CSTq)
mb911
Motive for me as well. Bought mine from fcp euro. Great price and free shipping
Wyvern
I made mine from a garden sprayer, added a pressure gauge .
Purchased a revivor cap . 10lbs is all that needed (just keep an eye on revivor level)

High tech pressure bleeder
Click to view attachment

Ultra high tech fluid capture system
Click to view attachment
rjames
Motive power bleeder. That worked just ok until I got speed bleeders installed on the calipers and then brake bleeding became easy, whether I was doing a just routine fluid flush, or filling the system after replacing the MC (without bench bleeding).

Justinp71
I like the speed bleeder idea.

I have a compressed air powered vacuum pump I found online works real well. It works like that harbor freight one in concept but much more compact. Found it on facebook for $35. For what ever reason it won't work on a hydraulic clutch though.

It's a different version of this, makes good suction-
https://www.amazon.com/YSTOOL-Pneumatic-Ble...245&sr=1-19
914Toy
Basic decision is: pressurizing your system at the reservoir vs. pulling a suction at each caliper. I have found a pressure system is reliably easier.
yeahmag
I also use a Motiv, but I use it dry. Gotta be a bit careful doing it this way, but it makes clean up easier and the hoses last longer. Just keep an eye on the fluid level in the reservoir and top up frequently.
90quattrocoupe
I use Motiv. Since most of my cars are VW based, I have adapted a stock lid. I drilled a hole and epoxied in a dual barb fitting.
I put a small extension on the barb that is inside the reservoir. When you released the pressure, it sucks about an inch of the fluid back up. This keeps all the fluid that would normally be all the way up to the cap, lower. No clean up except the bleeder.

Greg W.
Jamie
QUOTE(rjames @ Aug 16 2021, 12:37 PM) *

Motive power bleeder. That worked just ok until I got speed bleeders installed on the calipers and then brake bleeding became easy, whether I was doing a just routine fluid flush, or filling the system after replacing the MC (without bench bleeding).

Motive has always been my go-to bleeder, and I always use it dry to facilitate clean-up. I'm about to install Speed Bleeders on my 914, but couldn't source them for my Cayman? Sources told me that they weren't compatible with the aluminum calipers on the Cayman? confused24.gif
930cabman
I was just having a discussion a few days ago at our local "annual family PCA get together". One dude swears by both pressure(max 10 psi at the fluid reservoir) and vacuum at the bleeders. I have tried the vacuum with little success and the pressure with little success. Next time I will try both.
stownsen914
I tried speed bleeders once and had a bad experience with them. They seemed to suck air past the threads into the caliper as I pumped the brakes, instead of pulling fluid from the reservoir. Obviously this made it impossible to bleed the system. I lost a day at the track sorting that out. Luckily I'd brought the stock ones with me. Put them back, and voila all good again. I won't use them again.
branston
I just received my motive, $58 shipped, bought directly from Motive. Be sure to buy the European version, SKU is MP-0100. I can confirm the enclosed cap fits my Porsche fluid reservoir.
I'll be using it this week and will report back on its functionality!
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(anderssj @ Aug 16 2021, 03:31 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 16 2021, 02:46 PM) *

agree.gif

and it works great on a variety of European cars in addition to the 914 (Volvo 240s, Volvo S80, Audi 5000CSTq)

agree.gif
And they sell an attachment for american stuff too.

Zach
iankarr
Here's a video I made using the motive. I recently added speed bleeders and that definitely helps the process. I can pump the pedal without a helper....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymHHD6uKhfc
branston
QUOTE(branston @ Aug 17 2021, 07:57 AM) *

I just received my motive, $58 shipped, bought directly from Motive. Be sure to buy the European version, SKU is MP-0100. I can confirm the enclosed cap fits my Porsche fluid reservoir.
I'll be using it this week and will report back on its functionality!

I got to bleed the brakes today using the Motive Power bleeder, Frankly, I'm impressed!. I used it on my 912E as I'd replaced the master cylinder, the 914 has a similar. However, I didn't use it per the instructions, using it dry. i topped up the reservoir with fresh DOT3, pressurized the bleeder with the intention only to push out the old fluid. It worked so well, I just topped up the reservoir before bleeding each corner, I pumped the empty power bleeder like crazy to get 5-10psi and opened each bleeder in turn, topping up the reservoir between corners.

The result, a good hard pedal with no pumping, completed alone! I'm sold on this thing. Just a word of warning. my 912E has a reservoir overflow, piped to under the front bumper, I couldn't figure out why brake fluid was dripping under the front apron until I realized I needed to clamp the 6mm flex line. Duh. My 914's brake fluid reservoir doesn't have this overflow connection.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.