Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speedometer - repair or replace?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
FRUNKenstein
For my '75 2.0 that will be coming up on BaT in the near future, the odometer wasn't working. The speedometer worked, but was reading about 10 mph high. Even though I'm selling the car as true mileage unknown, I wanted to get the odometer working - it's been on my "to do" list since I bought the car over a year ago. I read the Pelican article and did some more research. Last night, I removed the speedometer, followed the Pelican instructions, and as I was applying pressure to the odometer shaft to get it through the newly deformed pot metal gear, it slipped out of my hands and hit the floor. The speedometer needle popped off and when I went to re-assemble, I noted that the speedometer needle shaft was bent. I straightened it out, and got it all back together and re-installed in the car. The odometer still doesn't work, and now the speedometer reads20 mph off and sticks in places.

I certainly don't want to offer the car with the damaged speedometer and non-functioning odometer. Is it better to repair the current one or just replace it with another used one? I see that dporschepartsman has several late 914 used speedometers on ebay in the $200 to $235 range, but his ads just say "great restoration candidate" in the description. Plenty of pictures, but they don't say whether the odometer or speedometer functions. I've sent a message to him via ebay asking for clarification. Not sure how else to reach him, and ebay messaging can be spotty.

The other option is to repair. But, I'm concerned that since I dropped the entire gauge, that sending this one off for repair may be a waste of time. I'd like to get the problem resolved this week as it won't be too long before the car goes up for auction on BaT. Thoughts on best way to resolve? Recommendations for places to either buy a used one or repair the current one? Thanks in advance!
windforfun
QUOTE(FRUNKenstein @ Aug 16 2021, 12:52 PM) *

For my '75 2.0 that will be coming up on BaT in the near future, the odometer wasn't working. The speedometer worked, but was reading about 10 mph high. Even though I'm selling the car as true mileage unknown, I wanted to get the odometer working - it's been on my "to do" list since I bought the car over a year ago. I read the Pelican article and did some more research. Last night, I removed the speedometer, followed the Pelican instructions, and as I was applying pressure to the odometer shaft to get it through the newly deformed pot metal gear, it slipped out of my hands and hit the floor. The speedometer needle popped off and when I went to re-assemble, I noted that the speedometer needle shaft was bent. I straightened it out, and got it all back together and re-installed in the car. The odometer still doesn't work, and now the speedometer reads20 mph off and sticks in places.

I certainly don't want to offer the car with the damaged speedometer and non-functioning odometer. Is it better to repair the current one or just replace it with another used one? I see that dporschepartsman has several late 914 used speedometers on ebay in the $200 to $235 range, but his ads just say "great restoration candidate" in the description. Plenty of pictures, but they don't say whether the odometer or speedometer functions. I've sent a message to him via ebay asking for clarification. Not sure how else to reach him, and ebay messaging can be spotty.

The other option is to repair. But, I'm concerned that since I dropped the entire gauge, that sending this one off for repair may be a waste of time. I'd like to get the problem resolved this week as it won't be too long before the car goes up for auction on BaT. Thoughts on best way to resolve? Recommendations for places to either buy a used one or repair the current one? Thanks in advance!

Talk to George at AA.

Steve
I’ve sent multiple gauges to North Hollywood Speedometer and they did an awesome job. They are old school. You have to call them. See what they say. They may want pictures. I also repaired my odometer in my 993 per the Pelican instructions and it turned out fine minus the rippled screw driver marks from getting the cover off. Not worth the hastle.
914Sixer
Cheap replacement if selling car. Put a WTB and pick up on here for $50-$75.
Chris914n6
ebay is not the place to buy a 914 gauge. specially from that guy who wants stupid money for common parts.

Because its going to BaT, I'd send it out to be fixed properly now that it's been @%#&$
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.