Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: clutch question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DRPHIL914
Wondering it there is really a big difference between them, looking at all the Porsche sites but also FLAPS, Parts Geek etc , none of these are advertised as S or stronger one for higher Hp cars, Spec 3,4, etc. anyway also seeing different part numbers it’s hard to tell what’s correct.

bottom line it’s going on a 2056 motor build ,

Thanks for any help and direction . i’d like to get the least expensive one if there isn’t much to gain .
Superhawk996
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Aug 16 2021, 06:39 PM) *

Wondering it there is really a big difference between them . . .

Sorry can't help myself -- $158. shades.gif

Seriously though. Assuming both aren't make in the same place (I don't know) I'd assume the difference is in the specs.

Flatness of pressure plate
Balance of the pressure plate
Quality of the steel
Axial and Radial runout of the pressure plate surfaces & the spring fingers
Quality of the damping springs and retention methods.
Tolerances of aftermarket vs. OEM specification

It it were me - I'd go Sachs. In a global environment where any schmuck can start knocking out parts pretty cheaply in China or Eastern Europe, it is all about knowing who sets the specifications for the part and who controls the quality and the reputation of the name on the box.

If you go the cheap route and it's not right. is pulling the engine for a re-do worth $158? Once upon a time in my life it absolutely would be worth the $158 saved -- having had no money and an abundance of time. Now my life in inverted. I have money but no time to work on the car I so desperately want to work on.
914Sixer
Here is the answer to your problem. A do it right kit. In addition replace the release bearing clips, felt washer and pivot bushing on fork

Sachs Clutch Kit KF19101 $289.79 Rockauto.com

New Pressure Plate
Release Bearing
Disc
Alignment Tool
Grease
mb911
There seem to be some Ok Sachs deals for around 290. That's the only thing I would use
wonkipop
you get what you pay for --------> china?

i put a sachs in. no complaints.
bdstone914
I think you arw referring to the Sachs standard and Sport pressure plate. The sport probably has stiffer springs.
I dont know that it is of any benifit on a 2056 build.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Aug 16 2021, 08:13 PM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Aug 16 2021, 06:39 PM) *

Wondering it there is really a big difference between them . . .

Sorry can't help myself -- $158. shades.gif

Seriously though. Assuming both aren't make in the same place (I don't know) I'd assume the difference is in the specs.

Flatness of pressure plate
Balance of the pressure plate
Quality of the steel
Axial and Radial runout of the pressure plate surfaces & the spring fingers
Quality of the damping springs and retention methods.
Tolerances of aftermarket vs. OEM specification

It it were me - I'd go Sachs. In a global environment where any schmuck can start knocking out parts pretty cheaply in China or Eastern Europe, it is all about knowing who sets the specifications for the part and who controls the quality and the reputation of the name on the box.

If you go the cheap route and it's not right. is pulling the engine for a re-do worth $158? Once upon a time in my life it absolutely would be worth the $158 saved -- having had no money and an abundance of time. Now my life in inverted. I have money but no time to work on the car I so desperately want to work on.
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Aug 17 2021, 06:20 AM) *

I think you arw referring to the Sachs standard and Sport pressure plate. The sport probably has stiffer springs.
I dont know that it is of any benifit on a 2056 build.

really just looking only at Sachs, I saw that combo kit on rock auto for the whole thing for $290, but i was just looking for the pressure plate only due to having already this spring rebuilt the trans and put new throw out bearing back in May, to replace a squeeky one. I could pull the pressure plate and disc off my original motor that is set asside and just came out due to the dropped vavle seat on #3, but with new motor, i just decided to do new - so what i am seeing with Sachs name on it is a lot of variation ini price, from $168 for just the pressure plate, up to $300+ for what looks like the exact same thing, not an S with stiffer pressure plate, and definetely trying to avoid any chinese knock off crap. SPEC has some good stuff but not necessary for me unless i was going up above 200hp . I was leaning toward that Sachs kit and even thing my disc on the other motor looks good, i think i will leave it on that one and get the whole kit. The Long block is coming with new balanced flywheel, shimmed and installed, the builder insists in putting new balanced and polished fly wheel on himself after buildingit and putting proper shims in, and not leaving that to chance with whoever is getting the motor, for someone that might not do it correctly. ive done it before 8 years ago and it did fine but i am great with someone that has done this for 30 + years to do that.
anyway not sure if there are fake Sachs pressure plates out there , hope the rock auto ones are legit.

Phil
914Sixer
I have this kit and it is legitimate. No need for the HD pressure plate.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 16 2021, 08:48 PM) *

There seem to be some Ok Sachs deals for around 290. That's the only thing I would use

@mb911
are you referring the the package deals available for that price, or just the pressure plate? seems to me that $300 for just the standard pressure plate is high.
mb911
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Aug 17 2021, 05:35 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 16 2021, 08:48 PM) *

@mb911
are you referring the the package deals available for that price, or just the pressure plate? seems to me that $300 for just the standard pressure plate is high.

Entire clutch package.

My car came with the old but NOS Sachs 4 spring clutch vs the 6 spring(I think I remember that right) and NOS pressure plate. All for a 4cyl 1.8. I am currently using that in my -6 and works perfectly
Ansbacher
+1 on the Sachs Clutch Kit. You can't go wrong with it.

Ansbacher
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.