Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shift rod repairable?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ddire333
Waiting on parts for all my other jobs I decided to have a look at the shifter assemble to change the bushings, as my car came in bits had not noticed before, the wear (rust whole) on the socket and the damaged shift rod. Such parts not easy to get here so i'm inclined to attempt repair for now, and then look for better unit later.

Assume I will want to wait until the engine and gearbox are back in the car, do some trial fitment and then weld.

What holds the machined bar into the main rod normally? just a press fit?Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
914Sixer
Probably best to put a WTB in the classifieds. You would need another rod for a pattern to get the angle just right.
GregAmy
Yeah, that's in bad shape.

These are fairly common; I have a pair of them (side shifter versions) sitting in the attic because I removed the rods to install Tangerine's shift system.
rhodyguy
replace. make sure you can remove the cup from the rod before you buy and ship. order the appropriate bushing kit and have it sent to the seller. it can just be tossed in the box.
930cabman
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Aug 17 2021, 12:00 PM) *

Yeah, that's in bad shape.

These are fairly common; I have a pair of them (side shifter versions) sitting in the attic because I removed the rods to install Tangerine's shift system.

I was considering going this route, but seems pricey. Are you pleased with the final product?
Chris914n6
You can weld it back together, but you will need a good one to use as a template.
GregAmy
QUOTE(930cabman @ Aug 17 2021, 02:39 PM) *

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Aug 17 2021, 12:00 PM) *

...I removed the rods to install Tangerine's shift system.

I was considering going this route, but seems pricey. Are you pleased with the final product?

Tangerine's? Yes. Enough to where I bought a second one for the street car... wink.gif Nothing will make it as nice as a Miata shifter, but this gets rid of all the slop in all the places.

I know that he will ship international...
ddire333
thanks for the advice, I will go replacement eventually - maybe sooner rather than later already have all the bushings - aiming to get the car moving asap so i can put away for winter, part of the original "seat" is still in the cut rod I think the angle will be ok, its the length is not as look like part of the hollow rod is gone, only hope will ne to set it up and then tack it while in place, few weeks of that yet.
PanelBilly
I wish I had bought the Tangerine unit years ago
Chris914n6
The secret to shifter slop is glue in the bushings so they don't move a bit in it's housing.
bdstone914
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Aug 17 2021, 02:22 PM) *

The secret to shifter slop is glue in the bushings so they don't move a bit in it's housing.

You have crappy bushings if the move in the housing. I had both AA and Sierra Madre bushings like that. Trashed them. Got the black poly bushings that Pelican sells and they are a tight fit. The original Porsche bushings have a oval shape hole. They give a big dead spot in the shifter.
bdstone914
QUOTE(ddire333 @ Aug 17 2021, 10:02 AM) *

Waiting on parts for all my other jobs I decided to have a look at the shifter assemble to change the bushings, as my car came in bits had not noticed before, the wear (rust whole) on the socket and the damaged shift rod. Such parts not easy to get here so i'm inclined to attempt repair for now, and then look for better unit later.

Assume I will want to wait until the engine and gearbox are back in the car, do some trial fitment and then weld.

What holds the machined bar into the main rod normally? just a press fit?Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

You can repair that one but would need to have it in the car to get it set up right. Most rear shift rods are bent. I had 10 and 8 were bent. I took the tw that matched in shape and had a jig made to straighten the rest of them. They have several bends.

@ddire333
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.