Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Auto Shipping referral advice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
roundtwo
Starting to arrange for shipping a new to me Delphi green 1973 2.0 running 914 from Cincinnati to Sonoma California. piratenanner.gif Given Santa Claus is closed off season for deliveries, I’m going with plan B

Anyone had great experience with the shipping company that they can recommend? I’m thinking it would be smart to go with an enclosed trailer although it’s not a concourse level restoration, it’s gem of a car that I don’t want to get damaged. I’ve heard a couple first person stories about unethical shipping companies, damaged cars.

Thanks in advance
Jim C
QUOTE(roundtwo @ Aug 17 2021, 03:44 PM) *

Starting to arrange for shipping a new to me Delphi green 1973 2.0 running 914 from Cincinnati to Sonoma California. piratenanner.gif Given Santa Claus is closed off season for deliveries, I’m going with plan B

Anyone had great experience with the shipping company that they can recommend? I’m thinking it would be smart to go with an enclosed trailer although it’s not a concourse level restoration, it’s gem of a car that I don’t want to get damaged. I’ve heard a couple first person stories about unethical shipping companies, damaged cars.

Thanks in advance

Sent two cars from Dayton to San Antonio 13 years ago. Used Reliable for the transport. No problems.
mepstein
The well known enclosed carriers are the way to go for a car you care about. Not cheap but generally great service and no surprises.
914Sixer
Just a heads up from my trying to get "roller" car from New Orleans to San Angelo TX. Cost was $1162 on Uship. NO one wants roller car. Extra everything on loading and unloading. Good experience on Uship. Had driver in 48 hours, car was here in total of 72 hrs.

Now for the not so good. It is my understanding that ALL the shipping companies use a central dispatch. You will be bombarded with "BROKERS" doing the hustle.They all will claim they can find you a truck in 10 WORKING DAYS. When you sign the contract you are at their mercy. I was not able to find ANYONE that wanted my shipment. I was able to move on to Uship and got an enclosed trailer at no cost. Just my good luck.
branston
I used Montway to ship from Oregon to Michigan, price was good, reliable, in fact picked up next day, Driver contact in route too.

https://www.montway.com/hero-1

For a non-roller try Jim, https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/det....php?id=2025311

Moved a VW from MI to PA for me, awesome guy, enclosed transport
roundtwo
That’s for all the tips.
Yeah I had a difficult time getting a roller from LA to the San Francisco area. Messy and costly.

So far Montway seams the most legit, not farming it out to everyone on the planet. Price around $1650 for 2300 mile journey. Open rig. $450 More for closed.
MM1
I used Intercity Lines 5 or 6 years ago to transport a last gen Mr2 from New Orleans to Ventura County. It was around $1650 for an enclosed trailer (big rig) - I asked the company quite a few questions and their answers satisfied me. At the time they said they only used husband and wife teams. I could not avoid working several hours away when the car arrived but when I got home it was undamaged in anyway and ran and drove as well as it had prior to shipment. It took a day or two more than the initial estimate which is why I could not plan for it arrival at work, however the driver kept me informed the entire way as best he could.
roundtwo
Yeah the only jankie part of the car shipping deelio is not knowing the schedule up front. A little hard to plan. Like waiting for the Comcast guy
Craigers17
I used Montway successfully as well to move a '74 from New Mexico to Georgia. It was not in great condition, but it did run. I went open trailer for around $900. They got the car to me in less than a week with no damage other than being very wet....obviously not their fault.

Communication was probably average, but they will give you the driver's phone #..... still it is worth noting that both the seller and buyer should have flexible work/life schedules.

930cabman
QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Aug 18 2021, 03:01 AM) *

I used Montway successfully as well to move a '74 from New Mexico to Georgia. It was not in great condition, but it did run. I went open trailer for around $900. They got the car to me in less than a week with no damage other than being very wet....obviously not their fault.

Communication was probably average, but they will give you the driver's phone #..... still it is worth noting that both the seller and buyer should have flexible work/life schedules.

+1 with Montway, I recently used them to transport a running 914 from VA to NY. No issues
GBX0073
I used ULTIMATE TRANSPORT 123 (tobey ext 712 )
to ship from Cali to IL less than 4 days
GO full enclosed it will also be a more direct delivery (less cars on the carrier )

As Mentioned most are brokers( like 123 listed) you put your order in they like 5 days or less advance then they farm your order out ,Don't believe in anything else unless the name is on the truck if you give a tip to the driver 50 bucks is good
When I tried to plan a month out that low ball offer I was made will never answer you back
914Sixer
Ultimate 123 was the do nothing company for me.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Aug 17 2021, 01:21 PM) *

Just a heads up from my trying to get "roller" car from New Orleans to San Angelo TX. Cost was $1162 on Uship. NO one wants roller car. Extra everything on loading and unloading. Good experience on Uship. Had driver in 48 hours, car was here in total of 72 hrs.

Now for the not so good. It is my understanding that ALL the shipping companies use a central dispatch. You will be bombarded with "BROKERS" doing the hustle.They all will claim they can find you a truck in 10 WORKING DAYS. When you sign the contract you are at their mercy. I was not able to find ANYONE that wanted my shipment. I was able to move on to Uship and got an enclosed trailer at no cost. Just my good luck.

Be very very careful on U-Ship, it's the wild west of shipping. I had a C Coupe once, the buyer didn't want to use my shipper, he saved $100 on U-Ship. The hauler he hired showed up in a converted motor home, full of furniture, he unloaded the furniture, loaded the car, and then reloaded the furniture on top of the car! Another time a guy picked up a 911, but he normally shipped ATV's, so he said he would have to take the 911 on and off at least a dozen times while he picked up and dropped ATV's.

If it's a car you care about hire Intercity or Reliable, it will cost double but is worth it. I've seen low end truckers destroy cars, I literally watched a guy fold up a Pre-A once, the car was 2 feet shorter.
GBX0073
Like I said they all Farm out the work unless you go with a company with the name on the truck

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Aug 18 2021, 11:48 AM) *

Ultimate 123 was the do nothing company for me.

913B
@Rotary'14
windforfun
Believe it or not, FedEx. I had en excellent experience with them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.