Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wide band
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DavidSweden
I have invested in a wide band AFR, after reading at a lot of threads about where to locate the lambda sensor I am none the wiser. I have a standard 2.0 exhaust system with a banana silencer.

Some say to install the sensor in one of the exaust pipes (before the silencer) and others say install in the silencer.

Can anyone give me some advice?

ClayPerrine
For best results, you would want it in a location that is common to all 4/6 cylinders. If you are using a stock muffler, put it in the side of the muffler. Make sure it is not in the bottom and make sure the sensor end is downhill from the electrical connection end.

Clay
Chris914n6
muffler/tailpipe. You want to read all 4 cylinders to get a useful reading, but understand there will be a reading delay being so far from the cylinder.

Don't mount it on the bottom as it will get flooded with condensation. Doesn't have to be the top though.
Gatornapper
May I ask whose AFR you bought and what it cost? I'm still looking.....

Installed my bung in muffler in spring......it is waiting......

GN

QUOTE(DavidSweden @ Aug 18 2021, 12:52 PM) *

I have invested in a wide band AFR, after reading at a lot of threads about where to locate the lambda sensor I am none the wiser. I have a standard 2.0 exhaust system with a banana silencer.

Some say to install the sensor in one of the exaust pipes (before the silencer) and others say install in the silencer.

Can anyone give me some advice?

Montreal914
A few years back when rebuilding my engine to a 2056, I installed it on the tail pipe per installation recommendations (at angle, pointing down). Since I didn't know how the interior of the muffler was actually built, I figured, this is not the best but I am catching all of the cylinders.

Click to view attachment

I got this kit:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/avm-30-4110

Click to view attachment
930cabman
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Aug 18 2021, 09:38 PM) *

A few years back when rebuilding my engine to a 2056, I installed it on the tail pipe per installation recommendations (at angle, pointing down). Since I didn't know how the interior of the muffler was actually built, I figured, this is not the best but I am catching all of the cylinders.

Click to view attachment

I got this kit:

Click to view attachment

Do you have a sense of the accuracy of this location for the sensor? I am also considering installing an wide band gauge.
Thanks
Montreal914
[/quote]

Do you have a sense of the accuracy of this location for the sensor? I am also considering installing an wide band gauge.
Thanks
[/quote]

Unfortunately, no. dry.gif
Frank S
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Aug 19 2021, 05:38 AM) *

Click to view attachment

I got this kit:

Click to view attachment

I experimented a bid with different setups.
Had two sensors mounted on a Mittelmotor Exhaust, which is close to the original design. I had mounted a sensor at the passender side and one sensor in the middle of the exhaust. With the one on the passengerside you can only moitor cyl 3 and cyl 4. Even if you unplug an injector at cyl 1 or cyl 2 you hardly recognise a diffrence in the reading. The one in the middle position is still more sensitive for cyl 3 and cyl 4 but you will clearly see a diffrence in the reading if something is really of at cyl 1 and cyl 2.
Middle is also still responsive enough to run closed loop with MS.
I have also ried the Vintage Speed exhaust with the original bung position and clearly see O2 mixed in at lower RPM/Load. From that experience I would say the sensorposition in the pic above will probably not provide good results in the low RPM/Load range and it is probably also to cold for propper sensor operation and will potentially reduce the lifetime of the sensor.
So, if you use the O2 Sensor to observe if something is going wrong with you injectors, I would choose the a position in the middle of the exhaust...
rbzymek
Here is where I installed the bung on my Dansk banana muffler. No interference with any baffles, etc. Works just fine.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.