Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stoddard Temporary Targa Top
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DC_neun_vierzehn
The price isn't that appealing, but from a form and function perspective ... I like the idea of leaving my targa top at home for semi-local drives and only needing a "near zero" weight temporary top in my trunk in case it rains when I'm parked.

Does anybody have one of these?

https://www.stoddard.com/sic-sst-914-tempor...-targa-top.html

I know there's a DIY bungee cord and tent cover option someone is selling for cheaper - many have sang its praise. But this appears to be a more modern option, but at 2x the price.

Trying to weigh my options.
Jett
I bought one for our 911 from sonderwerks, high quality and a bit cheaper at $270.

https://www.sonderwerks.com/product-page/so...rks-sport-top-1
ClayPerrine
Looking at these, and I would call them a solution in search of a problem.

It is too easy to install and remove the factory top in the rear trunk to warrant purchasing one of these.

Just my $.02

Clay

IronHillRestorations
FWIW, over the years I've had three people that have called me to say they had only my cover on and their car got rained on and it stayed dry. There was some pooling though, and TBH I wouldn't recommend it.
mepstein
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Aug 20 2021, 02:31 PM) *

FWIW, over the years I've had three people that have called me to say they had only my cover on and their car got rained on and it stayed dry. There was some pooling though, and TBH I wouldn't recommend it.

Perry - I used your umbrella top when I borrowed Oscar’s car at WCR. Great way to keep the sun off the car as well as the rain. beerchug.gif
bretth
That's pricey for what looks like a window sun shade with suction cups.
DC_neun_vierzehn
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 20 2021, 11:51 AM) *

It is too easy to install and remove the factory top in the rear trunk to warrant purchasing one of these.

Just my $.02

Clay

I hear you ... but it would be nice to have an empty front AND rear trunk when out running errands. The rear trunk is so much roomier when the targa top isn't in there.

Plus less weight.

But most of all ... where I live in the mid Atlantic ... pop up showers happen all the time in the spring, summer, and fall. It's just so much quicker to throw one of these temp tops on vs. trying to put a targa top on after it starts raining (pop the trunk, remove the targa top from trunk, hover over top of car and align top, jump inside and get all for latches aligned and closed ... by that point the inside of the car is wet).
fixer34
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 20 2021, 12:51 PM) *

Just my $.02

Clay

My local home improvement store has vinyl 5x7' tarps for $0.99, with eyelets in the corners. Dollar store has suction cups with hooks on them. $5 solution to a 'problem' you might have a couple times a year.
burton73
Perry, Perry, Perry,

I have one of Perrys

Bob B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.