Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speedometer Cable Nut Won’t Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
friethmiller
Help! Got a ‘74 here. I can’t get my new 914 speedo cable nut to thread on to the Speedo gear at the back of the transmission. I don’t think the cable could possible be installed backwards? Don’t remember having an issue threading it onto the speedometer at the other end.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Jamie
QUOTE(friethmiller @ Aug 19 2021, 06:41 PM) *

Help! Got a ‘74 here. I can’t get my new 914 speedo cable nut to thread on to the Speedo gear at the back of the transmission. I don’t think the cable could possible be installed backwards? Don’t remember having an issue threading it onto the speedometer at the other end.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

It appears that the nut is just not started with threads aligned, just don't strip it! Turn it backwards until you find the spot where the threads are in "agreement" when started.
bdstone914
@friethmiller
There were known problems with speedo cables made with the wrong threads. I think it was Gemo brand.
Make sure the threads on the speedo driv are not buggered and clean. But you may need to return it and get a new one.
friethmiller
This is a GEMO! I’ve tried very patiently to start this nut serval times now. Going backwards at first doesn’t help either. Going to replace it with a different brand, I guess. I love having to redo stuff. smile.gif. Thanks Jamie & BDStone914
IronHillRestorations
I experienced the same problem several months ago. Brand new cable. Sent it back, and the replacement worked fine. Bad batch of cables
Cairo94507
Bummer. But an easy fix. Please be sure to clean the threads on the drive unit before you connect the new cable. beerchug.gif
porsche914gt
Same here. I got a bad one, and out of stock for 6 months. Then I bought a Gemo on Amazon for $46.51, worked perfect. Today it was $99.
maf914
friethmiller,

How did you get that transmission case so clean? Is it a 901 box? Mine is clean but dark stained magnesium gray.
Jamie
QUOTE(maf914 @ Aug 20 2021, 09:41 AM) *

friethmiller,

How did you get that transmission case so clean? Is it a 901 box? Mine is clean but dark stained magnesium gray.

I was thinking the same thing about that super clean case! Wish my engine and tranny cases looked that new! hissyfit.gif
friethmiller
Thanks for the comments! I was just looking at a photo of the tranny and was thinking "
"Damn I missed a spot!" I cleaned the engine by hand for the most part. It took a lot of hours to complete (see before/after photos). The tranny was purchased used by the PO and was in a lot better shape. Still spent a good bit of time cleaning it up, too. I used a lot of brushes, picks, and lacquer thinner, which I think helps give it "that look". FWIW, I did use a Dremel tool in some of the hard to reach spots but I don't like that "polished look" that the high-speed tools produce. You can see it in a few areas on one side of the block.

BTW, I'm working on a fix for my speedo nut. I'll post when I get everything done.

Here's the before:
Click to view attachment

After:
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
mxkinn01
Same here. Had a bad one and sent it back. Ended up with Porsche cable from the dealership since everyone else was out of stock. FYI not cheap.
friethmiller
With this brand new cable (purchased 2 years ago) and already installed, I thought it might be worth a shot to fix it 'in place'. As I'm always up for a challenge (a.k.a stupid enough to try anything), I decided to remove the incorrectly threaded nut from the end of the GEMO speedometer cable. In search for a replacement out in the shed (my 914 parts dept.), I found a nut and the end of a speedometer cable still attached to one of my tail-shifter transmissions. After cleaning it up and testing the fit, I figured it was just a matter of getting the bad nut 'off' and the good one 'on.' Well, this proved a bit difficult to do with only hand tools while laying on your back on the floor under the car. However, with some patience and time I was able to get the job done. Hopefully this fix works when I get to go on my first test drive in a few weeks.

This picture shows the flared end of the cable flattened down to the point that the nut can be removed/replaced. Here, the new nut is 'on'.

Click to view attachment

Here you can see the results of the re-flaring of the cable end. This was later cleaned up a bit with a Dremel tool.

Click to view attachment

The following shows the 'cleaned-up' threads before assembly

Click to view attachment

Final picture of the cable attached to the transmission

Click to view attachment
dt4
good work, well done for accepting defeat
friethmiller
QUOTE(dt4 @ Aug 23 2021, 06:19 AM) *

good work, well done for accepting defeat

I don't really understand this as "accepting defeat". Actually, I call this a "win". If it doesn't work, I'll run a new cable.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yup all made wrong. Gemo The only ones that will work are the ones specifically made in Germany. We had to buy from another company to get ones that fit

QUOTE(friethmiller @ Aug 19 2021, 07:41 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

friethmiller
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 23 2021, 08:43 AM) *

yup all made wrong. Gemo The only ones that will work are the ones specifically made in Germany. We had to buy from another company to get ones that fit

QUOTE(friethmiller @ Aug 19 2021, 07:41 PM) *

Well, I hope this fix wasn't too much of a hack. Gotta lot of other stuff going on trying to get this old car road-worthy at the moment.

BTW, thanks George for getting those outboard engine mounts out to me so quickly. Was able to get the engine installed - no issues.
L97g
Hi guys , the deal with the gemo cable is the nut at the transmission is left hand thread . Someone at gemo hit left and not right hand thread . The quality of the gemo cable is great and mine was installed in the car for months prior to engine being finished and I didn't want to pull it back out if possible. My solution was to buy a 15$ m22x1.5left hand die and re thread angle drive , angle drive does need to be removed because of the dies outside diameter and took less than one minute to run over the other thread and worked perfectly .mike
friethmiller
QUOTE(L97g @ Aug 23 2021, 11:22 AM) *

Hi guys , the deal with the gemo cable is the nut at the transmission is left hand thread . Someone at gemo hit left and not right hand thread . The quality of the gemo cable is great and mine was installed in the car for months prior to engine being finished and I didn't want to pull it back out if possible. My solution was to buy a 15$ m22x1.5left hand die and re thread angle drive , angle drive does need to be removed because of the dies outside diameter and took less than one minute to run over the other thread and worked perfectly .mike

Excellent!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.