Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Screw size for rear valence seems too small...PET error?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
doug_b_928
PET says that the screws and speed nuts for attaching the rear valence to the tail are size 4.2. I have 4.2 screws and speed nuts but the screw is too small for the original speed nut (which is also much larger than the speed nut for a 4.2 screw). I have two tails and both have identical speed nuts (the larger size). I had assumed that the holes in the speed nuts were smaller and had been enlarged over the years, but the fact that they look identical on two tail sections makes me think that the the size was originally larger than 4.2. Is PET incorrect on this one? See pic of the difference below.

Click to view attachment
doug_b_928
Maybe I should ask, what hardware are folks using to attach the rear valence to the tail? Are you still using screws or have you switched to nuts and bolts?
914Sixer
Use what you want. Nobody but you will know. Screw and speed nut was probably for quick assembly line work. Never seemed tight enough for me.
JeffBowlsby
I just did this. Think it was a #6 or #8 hex head screw that went in like it was made for it. No speed nut needed. Mount the valence before the bumper goes on, which laps over the valence flange.
doug_b_928
Thanks for the info guys.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
4.2 is correct speed nut you have is not, should be a slide on two sided clip

QUOTE(doug_b_928 @ Aug 19 2021, 08:19 PM) *

PET says that the screws and speed nuts for attaching the rear valence to the tail are size 4.2. I have 4.2 screws and speed nuts but the screw is too small for the original speed nut (which is also much larger than the speed nut for a 4.2 screw). I have two tails and both have identical speed nuts (the larger size). I had assumed that the holes in the speed nuts were smaller and had been enlarged over the years, but the fact that they look identical on two tail sections makes me think that the the size was originally larger than 4.2. Is PET incorrect on this one? See pic of the difference below.

Click to view attachment

doug_b_928
I have the slip on type of speed nut as well but didn’t see how it could slip over anything…
doug_b_928
I think this is the kind of speed nut to which George is referring, but there's nothing to slide it onto...

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.