Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fresh Oil Build-up - Passenger Side
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LefthandRev
I'm having trouble figuring something out. I'm getting fresh oil on the shroud under the passenger side carb. It's accumulating where I've highlighted in red in the picture. There's no fresh oil on the exhaust, leaking from the valve covers, or any large leakage under the car.

I changed the oil yesterday, noticed oil oil there when I did, cleaned it up, and took it on a 30 mile drive. Checked this morning and there's new oil there. I can't figure it out.

Thoughts?

I checked oil levels and they're fine. Just a wee hair above the line.

IPB Image
76-914
Did you check the oil pressure sending unit or the tap in that area? It's damn near a 1/8"npt thread but it is metric. beerchug.gif
LefthandRev
QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 20 2021, 02:20 PM) *

Did you check the oil pressure sending unit or the tap in that area? It's damn near a 1/8"npt thread but it is metric. beerchug.gif

Thanks, these are the suggestions I need. I haven't owned a 914 in over ten years and there are heaps of things I forgot.
bbrock
Might be a dumb question but do you have that head vent highlighted in green routed with a hose to the flash pot and then to an air cleaner? It will spit oil if left open.
LefthandRev
QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 20 2021, 04:07 PM) *

Might be a dumb question but do you have that head vent highlighted in green routed with a hose to the flash pot and then to an air cleaner? It will spit oil if left open.

No, not a dumb question. It's not routed anywhere, which is why I highlighted it. I actually determined that to be the source today after a long drive into Seattle.

I'm running dual webers; it's not an FI car. I will snag a T-fitting tomorrow and route them to the main line coming off of the oil cap. I have to trace that and figure out where the hell he put sent that as well.

I swear, the previous owner has me throw up my arms several times a day.
barefoot
I run a hose directly between the 2 head vents (red hose) which i think is a recommendation from Jake Raby,
I do not get any oil residue in the breather from the chimney to the catch can or to the carb air cleaner.

Click to view attachment
LefthandRev
QUOTE(barefoot @ Aug 22 2021, 06:11 AM) *

I run a hose directly between the 2 head vents (red hose) which i think is a recommendation from Jake Raby,
I do not get any oil residue in the breather from the chimney to the catch can or to the carb air cleaner.

Click to view attachment

Awesome. I wondered if there was a problem with doing that.

I'll attempt to emulate the rest of your configuration eventually. Looks like a good solution.

Thanks for the assistance and suggestions.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.