Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.0L FI on a 1.7L engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Zaffer
I have a (hopefully) quick question: can the 2.0L FI be used on a 1.7L without modifying/swapping anything? I have a 2.0L on an engine stand but would like to rebuild it to a 2056, keeping the original FI. While I do this, I would still like to drive my 914 and have a 1.7L that I could use during the rebuild. Is this easily doable?

I’m pretty sure it is as I actually used this FI on a 1.8L utilizing all of the 2.0L externals.

Thanks!
JamesM
2.0 intake runners work with the 3 stud intake 2.0 heads, 1.7s are 4 bolt so that would have to be modified... in addition to just about everything else as well.

ECU, MPS, Injectors are all specific to the engine size and running them on a 1.7 without making tweaks to the system you would be overly rich.

QUOTE(Zaffer @ Aug 21 2021, 10:27 AM) *

I have a (hopefully) quick question: can the 2.0L FI be used on a 1.7L without modifying/swapping anything? I have a 2.0L on an engine stand but would like to rebuild it to a 2056, keeping the original FI. While I do this, I would still like to drive my 914 and have a 1.7L that I could use during the rebuild. Is this easily doable?

I’m pretty sure it is as I actually used this FI on a 1.8L utilizing all of the 2.0L externals.

Thanks!

Zaffer
Yeah, I was thinking about that as well. I have a set of runners for the 1.7 and my tin has already been modified for either spark plug placement. The 1.7 had carbs on it, but could never get it to run well. The PO of the 1.7 said it was rebuilt less than 2,000 miles ago, but didn’t know of the cam had been replaced to be able to use carbs; the setup was dual single barrel, which I have.

What about a setup from a VW? How different is it? I really don’t want to do the carb setup and have to change it out when I swap the engine.

I’ll try and figure something out, even if I just throw carbs on the 1.7 and deal with the inadequate running. Just figured I’d throw it out there and see.
JamesM
Thankfully 1.7 FI bits are a lot easier and cheaper to come by if you wanted to go that route. The 1.7 runners wont fit the 2.0 plenum, they are longer and narrower. 1.8 runners come closer as the pipes are the same diameter but would still require modification to fit.

The 914 2.0 was really only the unique Type 4 motor so the injection off any other 1.7 or 1.8 VW type 4 motor could be made to work with less effort than trying to adapt the 914 2.0 system to a 1.7.

If the cam in your motor has been swapped though D-jet may not be compatible with what is in there. You can run carbs on a motor with a d-jet compatible cam, it just leaves some power on the table. D-jet however MUST have a d-jet compatible cam to run.

These are reasons I prefer aftermarket injection these days, pretty much best of all worlds, can be adapted to any motor and tuned in more precise than anything else.

QUOTE(Zaffer @ Aug 21 2021, 01:22 PM) *

Yeah, I was thinking about that as well. I have a set of runners for the 1.7 and my tin has already been modified for either spark plug placement. The 1.7 had carbs on it, but could never get it to run well. The PO of the 1.7 said it was rebuilt less than 2,000 miles ago, but didn’t know of the cam had been replaced to be able to use carbs; the setup was dual single barrel, which I have.

What about a setup from a VW? How different is it? I really don’t want to do the carb setup and have to change it out when I swap the engine.

I’ll try and figure something out, even if I just throw carbs on the 1.7 and deal with the inadequate running. Just figured I’d throw it out there and see.

Zaffer
James, what injection do you use? The 2.0L I’m going to run factory original since I have it but would POSSIBLY be interested in something else fr the 1.7L as she knows how long it’ll take me to rebuild my engine. Life gets in the way and I have MANY other projects as well (house, garage, family stuff, etc.).

The 2.0L might be okay to run as it spins well on the stand with no binding anywhere. I don’t know the actual condition as I haven’t had the heads off, but figured if I’m going that far, might as well take it the rest of the way. Plus the engine has been sitting for 11 - 12 years, always stored inside, but still not a conditioned space.
JamesM
I have built a few different setups using Megasquirt/microquirt ECUs. Its a pretty steep learning curve for most though.

Thankfully there are quite a few vendors on board now and sell parts that make this much easier these days.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.