Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dansk repro 914-6 exchangers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fixer34
A 'newbie' in the classifieds has a new-in-box Dansk heat exchanger, left side. The one on my car is a little rough, so this would work nicely. However I remember there were some fitment issues (like not at all...) with the early ones. Was there any recourse on those, and especially to a secondary buyer?
It's either a good deal, or expensive scrap pipes.
L97g
Mr senior !! I purchased new from a dansk dealer in florida to look at fitment. It fit up to my cylinders perfectly and was not even bolted up .I purchased may of 2021. Should not be a fitment issue but I can't speak for your muffler . I wanted to build my own and just wanted to see what and where , I had nothing to go by . Mike kiamy
L97g
Picture
mepstein
I have an oem left side Porsche heat exchanger in great shape for the same price.

@fixer34
horizontally-opposed
Dansk started shipping its HEs with jigs on them to show they were correct—or to keep them correct in transit?—IIRC.

Maybe someone has a spare set that could be bolted up to what's for sale? Short of that, I'd be wary. Guessing there has to be some "new in box" examples out there that were either "discovered" after the window for return or that weren't worth shipping back to be destroyed.
fixer34
QUOTE(L97g @ Aug 21 2021, 07:44 PM) *

Mr senior !! I purchased new from a dansk dealer in florida to look at fitment. It fit up to my cylinders perfectly and was not even bolted up .I purchased may of 2021. Should not be a fitment issue but I can't speak for your muffler . I wanted to build my own and just wanted to see what and where , I had nothing to go by . Mike kiamy

Have factory exchangers and muffler now, so shouldn't be an issue.

Just curious why you didn't buy both sides.

Second, I'm assuming the pictures are the ones you designed/built? Why the 'spaghetti' and have them all join close to the engine and run a single tube back to the muffler rather than 3 longer tubes into a collector similar to factory.
L97g
I have the jig which I used too hold a set of 911 headers that Brian bodart made that I altered to clear the sifter shift rod and will be bolted back on if I ship them somewhere . I chose to dump the exhaust into a two inch tube asap .the headers are thin wall 321 stainless and the two inch pipe is much thicker , the exhaust will stay hotter longer . It runs exceptionally well and sounds incredible.
L97g
I figured you folks were a bit more refined than this ! I was just sharing my work which clearly is finished ! I've been out here for a year or so but have been restoring cars for 46 years and did my first 914 in 1978, also I am just trying to liquidate some spares left over from my project at 30% less than street price and can give them away if I so choose to and I understand I'm not a senior member but if M.E. has a set of headers for sale at a better price than mine I suspect he should list them In The for sale section rather than pulling a Sanford and son on my deal ! Mike
Coondog
QUOTE(L97g @ Aug 21 2021, 07:56 PM) *

I figured you folks were a bit more refined than this ! I was just sharing my work which clearly is finished ! I've been out here for a year or so but have been restoring cars for 46 years and did my first 914 in 1978, also I am just trying to liquidate some spares left over from my project at 30% less than street price and can give them away if I so choose to and I understand I'm not a senior member but if M.E. has a set of headers for sale at a better price than mine I suspect he should list them In The for sale section rather than pulling a Sanford and son on my deal ! Mike

agree.gif as quoted
welcome.png Sorry for your bad experience
fixer34
QUOTE(L97g @ Aug 21 2021, 09:56 PM) *

Didn't mean to insinuate anything, but unfortunately in today's world, one has to be cautious. I almost got scammed on heat exchangers years ago, and there are plenty of stories of it happening today. I'm still interested.

I also wasn't criticizing your work/design, just curious since it was a bit different from stock and other home built designs. 'Spaghetti' probably wasn't the best choice of words. but I couldn't come up with something else. To my way of thinking, the numerous pipe bends would impeed exhaust flow, but then, that's not my specialty.
mepstein
QUOTE(L97g @ Aug 21 2021, 10:56 PM) *

Sorry. I didn’t realize this was your for sale thread.
mb911
I do want to clarify some miss information here only on a metals fundamentals stand point 321 is titanium alloyed 304 stainless. That is the only difference between the to alloys. The titanium does not have any effect on Thermal conductivity over the 304 counter part. What it does do is help to control cracking that would be a possibility with many heat cycles or high heat like a turbo system.

In regards to Mike being a new guy he is not a new guy and he and his son built one nice car. I do like the fuel injection setup they have.

As to that heat exchanger I think you will be just fine from a fitment standpoint. The new ones are pretty nice from dansk though very very expensive this example for one seems like a value
mb911
Oh and to add on here Mike used a 911 header and Brian's design is meant to get as much length as possible for the primary length. Ideal for a 911 based engine is approximately 36" which is close to what the stock -6 heat exchanger is. Brian's design I believe Is 28" which work pretty good and better then most of the systems out there but it's been a few years since I made his product so I can't recall exactly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.