Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DME Harness Installation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Geo9146
I'm about to begin installing the DME harness for my 3.2 engine in my 74 914.
Just thought I'd ask if anyone has already done this so I can avoid making a major mistake. Most important question is where to put the DME box for best ease of installation of the harness and subsequent wiring hook-ups - under the driver's seat or rear trunk firewall?
mepstein
I go through the dimple on the floor behind the passenger seat and keep it in the cabin.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 22 2021, 06:40 PM) *

I go through the dimple on the floor behind the passenger seat and keep it in the cabin.

agree.gif

Mine is up on the front of the passenger footwell, but I want to move it somewhere else. It is in the way of people's feet there.

Steve
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 22 2021, 04:40 PM) *

agree.gif
I used longer back pad screws and mounted the dme relay and altitude sensor behind the passenger seat and the dme behind the drivers seat.
jim912928
Mine is under the passenger seat…search my name for thread on wiring a 3.2. I followed great advice from mepstein years ago….no electrical problems!
SirAndy
Under the glove box part of the dash ...
smash.gif
Cairo94507
Mine is under the driver's seat. Regardless where you put it, I think it is best to keep it in the interior to protect it from the heat and debris. beerchug.gif
Geo9146
Thanks all for the replies, which I didn't get till now cos, as usual, I forgot to check 'email notification' when I posted this - why that isn't default, I'll never know!
I ended up going thru the firewall behind the passenger seat just below and to the right of the dimple and I'm putting the DME under the driver's seat, just like Porsche did in the 911. I did that to take up as much of the harness length as possible. Still lots of fun to come on this!
SirAndy
QUOTE(Geo9146 @ Nov 3 2021, 03:58 PM) *
I forgot to check 'email notification' when I posted this - why that isn't default, I'll never know!

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=353342

Now you know ...
dry.gif

Geo9146
Interesting
I only bitched, excuse the sexist word, because I also post on Pelican, and there, email notification is default and work fine - wonder why they don't have the same problem?
mepstein
QUOTE(Geo9146 @ Nov 5 2021, 07:15 PM) *

Interesting
I only bitched, excuse the sexist word, because I also post on Pelican, and there, email notification is default and work fine - wonder why they don't have the same problem?

Pelican is owned by a large company with lots of resources to spend on the site. It's very much a business expense. 914world is owned by Andy and it's his time and money (plus member contributions) that maintain the site.
Geo9146
Thanks, now I know why
May the Force be with Andy!
Geo9146
This is my installation, in case anyone is interested
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.