Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fan Belt Help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ken Mikos
Just put a new fan belt on, it jumped off the pulleys twice as I was driving after about 10 miles.
The old belt had inner cogs and the new belt has outer cogs. Will that make a difference?
I made sure the belt was tight the first time and probably over tightened it the second time as I had only about a 1/4” of flex.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
windforfun
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cog
Ansbacher
I thought Ken's use of the word "cog(s)" was appropriate and descriptive. Maybe not technically correct, but I understood what he meant in relation to a fan belt.

Ansbacher
jcd914
Check the alignment of the alternator pulley and fan pulley.
I have also heard of the lower alternator bracket breaking.

Don't worry about the cogs.

Jim
PanelBilly
check the pully for bends. A small kink can throw the belt
bdstone914
@Ken Mikos
What brand and part number did you buy? What is the size marked on it?
I have never seen the type of belt you describe on a 914.
iankarr
agree.gif

Could it be the belt is inside out? I've also had belts thrown when the alternator pulley was cracked / broken. Def worth a check.
Shivers
Cog is correct according to this guy, I've also heard them called cog belts. Don't over tighten the belt, alternators are not cheap. The "cogs" allow it to bend easier around a small pulley. You may have it so tight that the belt is getting hot and being pushed up and out of the pulley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH1RRx2j9SM
bdstone914
@Ken Mikos

Dud the original belt have the sane oribkem? If si the pulleys are probably ok. But check them anyway and check the brackets. It does not make sense why the belt cogs are on the outside.
They are meant to allow the belt to go around small pulleys. At this piint i would get a different belt.
Ken Mikos
Thanks for all the constructive comments.

Checked the Alt Pully, no play or bends and the Alt Bracket is fine.

The newer belt that spun off has the same ID #15380 but is slightly different than the old belt as described earlier. To remedy the issue I temporally installed the old belt and placed an order for a Conti 10X965 which has the cogs on the inside.

Will keep you all updated on this bizarre issue.

Ken
Quinn Moore
QUOTE(Ken Mikos @ Aug 23 2021, 03:10 PM) *

Thanks for all the constructive comments.

Checked the Alt Pully, no play or bends and the Alt Bracket is fine.

The newer belt that spun off has the same ID #15380 but is slightly different than the old belt as described earlier. To remedy the issue I temporally installed the old belt and placed an order for a Conti 10X965 which has the cogs on the inside.

Will keep you all updated on this bizarre issue.

Ken

I had "roughly" the same issue. My belt that broke had the the cogs on the outside. Very narrow though (VW?). Anyway I was far from home and went to local advance auto, found a dayco under Volkswagen. Came off.. pulled over, really tightened it up and got me home. Then bought the correct belt from autoatlanta.com. continental. Cogs on the inside, correct 10x965. All good.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.