Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NOS voltage regulators
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Warren914
I've seen many posts offering NOS regulators for sale. What is the advantage of the original over a new solid state replacement? Is it merely to look original? I can't imagine a mechanical relay being able to regulate the charging voltage as well as a modern electronic unit. What am I missing?
914Sixer
There has been a high failure rate reported on the solid state model by various manufactures. They all seem to be made in China. They also have been know not to fit the relay board correctly, not making good contact. Bosch makes a solid state model but it is stupid expensive.

The old mechanical Bosch VR seem to keep going like the Energizer bunny and rarely fail. Moisture is its biggest enemy. You can open the can and make adjustments to this model.
bdstone914
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Aug 23 2021, 05:13 AM) *

There has been a high failure rate reported on the solid state model by various manufactures. They all seem to be made in China. They also have been know not to fit the relay board correctly, not making good contact. Bosch makes a solid state model but it is stupid expensive.

The old mechanical Bosch VR seem to keep going like the Energizer bunny and rarely fail. Moisture is its biggest enemy. You can open the can and make adjustments to this model.

agree.gif

I have about 20 used VRs. I dont think i have ever sold a voltage regulator in the 15 plus years i have sold parts. Some people just like new. I dont see any advantage to solid state regulators. Just the preception that nore modern is better
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I agree with Brad, the old ones are perfectly fine and seem more reliable than the cheap Chinese brands, including the new expensive Chinese shorter Bosch. We have at least 200 good used ones here. Even the new ones from Porsche are bad as they do not fit!!!! (several other brands do not fit the relay board as well. If I was going to replace these days, I would find a good used one and clean it up, or find NOS for concours presentation

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Aug 23 2021, 06:37 AM) *

agree.gif

I have about 20 used VRs. I dont think i have ever sold a voltage regulator in the 15 plus years i have sold parts. Some people just like new. I dont see any advantage to solid state regulators. Just the preception that nore modern is better

Jett
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 23 2021, 06:40 AM) *

I agree with Brad, the old ones are perfectly fine and seem more reliable than the cheap Chinese brands, including the new expensive Chinese shorter Bosch. We have at least 200 good used ones here. Even the new ones from Porsche are bad as they do not fit!!!! (several other brands do not fit the relay board as well. If I was going to replace these days, I would find a good used one and clean it up, or find NOS for concours presentation

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Aug 23 2021, 06:37 AM) *

agree.gif

+1
Warren914
All good comments. Thanks for the feedback. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.