Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche 916
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Gatornapper
Interesting 916 trivia:

A friend of a friend who is German knows a lot about the 916, his dad had connections at Porsche and a friend who got one of the 11 made (only 1 made it to the US.) He told him most of them went to the Porsche family and their close friends.

His dad gave him the serial numbers of 10 of the 11 916's made: "9142330011 to 9142330020. Most cars have survived, probably the one of his colleague got seriously damaged and wasn‘t built up again.

He (his dad) said he thinks there were possibly more prototypes with powerful engines from race Porsches (908 etc.) but they may have switched engines on the same chassis. Maybe only „Brutus“ remained."

Might be useless information, but maybe someone here can use it.

Any member here who has a 916?

GN
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Very good accurate info, the damaged one was repaired though

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Aug 23 2021, 06:39 AM) *

Interesting 916 trivia:

A friend of a friend who is German knows a lot about the 916, his dad had connections at Porsche and a friend who got one of the 11 made (only 1 made it to the US.) He told him most of them went to the Porsche family and their close friends.

His dad gave him the serial numbers of 10 of the 11 916's made: "9142330011 to 9142330020. Most cars have survived, probably the one of his colleague got seriously damaged and wasn‘t built up again.

He (his dad) said he thinks there were possibly more prototypes with powerful engines from race Porsches (908 etc.) but they may have switched engines on the same chassis. Maybe only „Brutus“ remained."

GN

Gatornapper
Thanks George! Glad you are there to fill in the blanks and confirm the validity of info.

Will pass the info on the repair to the friend in Germany......

GN

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 23 2021, 07:42 AM) *

Very good accurate info, the damaged one was repaired though

Interesting 916 trivia:

GN

914e

Interesting 916 trivia:

GN

I was shown one at Patrick Motorsports in April. It might still be there it looked like they were doing a bit of work to it. I can only afford to visit about once a year. I would really like them to do my interior. Of course I would end living in the car when my wife finds out the price.
eric9144
Had an interesting encounter this weekend, took my big 6 up to my dad's house in Murrieta, near Riverside CA, he'd seen my car but not ridden in it so I went up. I get there and he says his neighbor is a 914 guy and has a couple in the garage.

Minutes later the guy pops out, as any of us would and is looking over my car and says, "I have a 916 in my garage" I'm thinking riiiiiight, dry.gif he tells me it has the steel roof, balsa reinforced hoods and the 100L gas tank. Now I'm curious, I asked to see it, but he was on his way out to run some errand or something with his wife and had to run.

I"m going to head back up there, literally to try to pin him down and take a look, there's some pretty obvious tells if it's a real 916 as it's far from the average 914 or 914-6 even.
930cabman
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Aug 23 2021, 08:50 AM) *

Had an interesting encounter this weekend, took my big 6 up to my dad's house in Murrieta, near Riverside CA, he'd seen my car but not ridden in it so I went up. I get there and he says his neighbor is a 914 guy and has a couple in the garage.

Minutes later the guy pops out, as any of us would and is looking over my car and says, "I have a 916 in my garage" I'm thinking riiiiiight, dry.gif he tells me it has the steel roof, balsa reinforced hoods and the 100L gas tank. Now I'm curious, I asked to see it, but he was on his way out to run some errand or something with his wife and had to run.

I"m going to head back up there, literally to try to pin him down and take a look, there's some pretty obvious tells if it's a real 916 as it's far from the average 914 or 914-6 even.

Very cool, keep us updated if you are able.
rgalla9146
There is a Yellow one here in NJ.
My brother visits a restoration shop here that has won Best of Show at Pebble many
times with a variety of vintage classics.
The clients there have unbelievable collections.
Two months ago he offered to drive a fellow home whos early Packard had
to be left at the shop.
When they arrived at the guys home (estate) he asked my brother if he'd like to see
three cars in the garage.
# 1 a 280 SL with 6000 mi. Perfect.
#2 a Porsche race car that my brother cannot remember the model
# 3 is under a cover..... the guy sayes it is a 916....my brother says ' my
brother (me) has one of those' ( a 914 6) thinking the guy is describing it wrong.
WRONG ! The guy then relates that this is not a 914 6 it is one of only
eleven cars made and is known as a 916 and was owned for decades by a female
member of the Porsche family.
It was won at a Gooding auction in the last year.
I don't know the VIN
I hope to see it soon.
Rory
SirAndy
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Aug 23 2021, 07:50 AM) *

Try to get the VIN ...
biggrin.gif

SirAndy

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...ns&byType=4
bye1.gif
MM1
2 potential 916's? popcorn[1].gif
gms
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Aug 23 2021, 09:50 AM) *

The 916s did not have the 100L fuel tank or fiberglass hoods, this sounds more like a car with GT parts installed...interesting car non the less
gms
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Aug 23 2021, 10:36 AM) *

My brother visits a restoration shop here that has won Best of Show at Pebble many
to be left at the shop.
When they arrived at the guys home (estate) he asked my brother if he'd like to see
brother (me) has one of those' ( a 914 6) thinking the guy is describing it wrong.
I don't know the VIN
I hope to see it soon.
Rory

Rory,
I think only #0011 and #0012 are in the US...could it be the yellow #0011 car?
rgalla9146
QUOTE(gms @ Aug 23 2021, 02:48 PM) *

to be left at the shop.
I don't know the VIN
I hope to see it soon.
Rory

Rory,

Hey Glenn
Most likely #11
I'm going to call him to see if I can visit.
After my brother Tom got the story straight he asked the owner if he might
visit again with me. The owner was very open and inviting.
I will follow up.
Rory
KSCarrera
Click to view attachment

UK-based 916, Light Ivory, belongs to Crispin Manners and nearing completion after a (very) lengthy restoration...
eric9144
QUOTE(gms @ Aug 23 2021, 11:45 AM) *

The 916s did not have the 100L fuel tank or fiberglass hoods, this sounds more like a car with GT parts installed...interesting car non the less

I agree, there were details that sounded fishy to me but I'm still going to try to put eyes on it to see what he's got... completely prepared for stromberg.gif also blink.gif
rgalla9146
Anyone here have an explanation why 916s have '33' in the middle of the VIN rather than '43' ?
Maybe like 911Ss are designated in the VIN with a 3 ? T is a 1, E is a 2, S is a 3
dr914@autoatlanta.com
that was the 916 designation

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Aug 23 2021, 02:25 PM) *

Anyone here have an explanation why 916s have '33' in the middle of the VIN rather than '43' ?
Maybe like 911Ss are designated in the VIN with a 3 ? T is a 1, E is a 2, S is a 3

dr914@autoatlanta.com
there are several now in the us

two in georgia
one in wisconsin
one is california
the yellow ex matsuda car
the one at Jim's shop

QUOTE(gms @ Aug 23 2021, 11:48 AM) *

to be left at the shop.
I don't know the VIN
I hope to see it soon.
Rory

Rory,

SirAndy

This explains it pretty well:
https://www.stuttcars.com/technical/vin-decoder/
smile.gif
Root_Werks
Also thought all 916's started life as 914-4's meaning they wouldn't have 914XXXXXX VIN's, correct?
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Aug 23 2021, 06:44 PM) *

Also thought all 916's started life as 914-4's meaning they wouldn't have 914XXXXXX VIN's, correct?

No, they do have have 914233_ _ _ _
Gatornapper
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Aug 23 2021, 08:50 AM) *

Please get pics!
Gatornapper
Please get pics! II

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Aug 23 2021, 09:36 AM) *

to be left at the shop.
I don't know the VIN
I hope to see it soon.
Rory

Gatornapper
Had no idea this thread would become so interesting.

So we may have 3 916's here in the US? Knowing serious American car collectors, it does make sense.....love to hear the stories of how 2 got out of Germany......

GN
budk
QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Aug 23 2021, 07:28 PM) *

Had no idea this thread would become so interesting.

So we may have 3 916's here in the US? Knowing serious American car collectors, it does make sense.....love to hear the stories of how 2 got out of Germany......

GN

According to George, there are 6 in the US.

"two in georgia
one in wisconsin
one is california
the yellow ex matsuda car
the one at Jim's shop"

I believe him, since at least one of them is his.
rgalla9146

The ex Louise Peche ex Matsuda #0011 is here in NJ.
Hoping to see it in person.
URY914
Click to view attachment
URY914
At Amelia Island Werks Fest this year...

Click to view attachment
URY914
Click to view attachment
URY914
Click to view attachment
wonkipop
QUOTE(KSCarrera @ Aug 23 2021, 03:08 PM) *

Click to view attachment

UK-based 916, Light Ivory, belongs to Crispin Manners and nearing completion after a (very) lengthy restoration...

nice to see that car still survives.
have a copy of classic car i think it was with the story on it from the early 80s when it was still getting flogged around the streets in stockbroker london.

@URY914 - i take it that white car is a different car to the white 916 still in england?
outside the batch of 11 916s?
rgalla9146
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 23 2021, 06:28 PM) *

This explains it pretty well:
https://www.stuttcars.com/technical/vin-decoder/
smile.gif

Perfect Andy, Thank you
sixnotfour
Whats Going On with Brutus ?? last seen at Canepas in pieces ??
mepstein
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Aug 23 2021, 10:29 PM) *

It got rebuilt after the restoration.
SKL1
I've got a nice picture my BIL took in the infield at Daytona in '71 I believe of Peter Gregg's silver 916. As noted, the only "official" one imported here.
The front fender warts really looked bad on that car as they had to be moved because of the flares... (but I wouldn't kick it out of bed for eating crackers)
rgalla9146

My part of this is on hold.
I had a very nice conversation with the owner who is quite a Porsche enthusiast.
The car is away from home having some therapy.
Probably a month or more.
gms
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Aug 23 2021, 05:44 PM) *

Years ago someone published their theory that 916s were made out of reject 914-4 bodies, this is false they were made from 914-6 bodies.
131 0433
131 0437
131 0440
131 0434
131 0438
131 0435
131 0436
131 0441
131 0412
131 0439
these are end of 1971 914-6 chassis numbers
gms
@Gatornapper you were probably speaking to Steve Southard (he is a member here) and his car has GT parts and a steel roof. Like Brutus his car has a 914-6 VIN.
wonkipop
QUOTE(gms @ Aug 24 2021, 06:56 AM) *

Years ago someone published their theory that 916s were made out of reject 914-4 bodies, this is false they were made from 914-6 bodies.
131 0433
131 0437
131 0440
131 0434
131 0438
131 0435
131 0436
131 0441
131 0412
131 0439

fantastic info. beerchug.gif

baur did the bodywork mods?
mepstein
QUOTE(gms @ Aug 24 2021, 08:56 AM) *

131 0433
131 0437
131 0440
131 0434
131 0438
131 0435
131 0436
131 0441
131 0412
131 0439

I thought I remember reading an article years ago where George stated that his (not all) 916 had the signs that the type 4 engine mounts were removed from the chassis. Maybe I'm confusing it with something else but as I remember it, it was an article from a VW Porsche magazine.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I just saw one of them taking a beach vacation!Click to view attachment
rgalla9146
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 23 2021, 10:53 PM) *

That is a curious comment. Does not sound like a compliment.
Who did the 'restoration' ?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
and another visiting Paris and attending a show!Click to view attachment
Gatornapper
I think you missed George's humor. I think that is his car.

piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

Thank you George. We're all a bit jealous......

GN

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Aug 24 2021, 07:41 AM) *

dr914@autoatlanta.com
And another showing its stuff in the "blue room"Click to view attachment
rgalla9146

Not humor. Ego.
Not jealous
mepstein
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Aug 24 2021, 09:41 AM) *

Who did the 'restoration' ?

Here's the thread - http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...0&hl=brutus
Jamie
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 24 2021, 05:46 AM) *

And another showing its stuff in the "blue room"Click to view attachment

And where is this "blue room?" :confused:Was the inflatable spare part of original equipment?
9146GUY
This is the "Test Mule" as used by Porsche in the early 70's. It is a 1970 914-6 by VIN so it is a year earlier than Brutus. It is not the white 916 in the UK.

Click to view attachment

There will be a feature article about this car in an upcoming issue of Panorama. The article was written earlier this year and the photo shoot was done at Amelia Island in May.

gereed75
“got a nice picture my BIL took in the infield at Daytona in '71 I believe of Peter Gregg's silver 916. As noted, the only "official" one imported here.”

Interesting. Brings back a memory for me - mid seventies or early eighties, in Jax doing something, stopped by Brumos Race shop just “because”. they let me wander around and the silver 916 was just there, parked with several other semi- forgotten cars. Got to touch it! Remember it s being in “driver” condition at the time.

In the doctor collection now?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.