Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: a PPI...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tat2dphreak
ok, so a few weeks ago I did a PPI on a car local to me: here's how it went down:

please give the person who is negotiating to buy the car some feedback on things I may have missed...

I wrote:
Looked at the car today, so I wanted to give you the run-down... I'm uploading 52MB worth of pics(kept fullsize)... so you can see all the detail, I'm attaching a .ZIP with smaller versions(still 3MB)

the short version is this: the car is a good, original, solid car, BUT it does have a few issues that will need to be fixed before I would call it perfect.

now: here's the long, detailed version: pull up a chair... smile.gif

GOOD:

* Runs/drives well!! I flogged it around the block and it ran good... I think it needs a valve adjustment and the carbs are running a little rich, but even still... good, strong engine(2056)
* fairly new tires (goodyear 205/50 R15 (about as wide as you can put under stock fenders...)
* brakes worked good... always a concern with these cars if they sit, but this one hasn't really sat much...
* door gaps look good, but the passenger side did "feel" tight, could be because...
* seals are in very good shape, all around... only one I didn't bother checking was the targa rear seal...
* this can be good and bad(depending on if you like heat): it has nice 4-1 headers with a glasspack(read: LOUD, but great sound!) with headers, you can't use heat... you'd have to get all the stock heat exchanger parts...
* good interior for the most part... seats need re-upholster, and the vinyl above the dash top is starting to raise in places, but the dash top is GOOD, dash face has a custom brushed aluminum metal(cool look, not stock though) and the door panels are excellent, carpet is good, I couldn't check the floor that well, since the carpet on the drivers side was held down, but he has not removed the tar and that can sometimes lead to rust that is hiding in seams... easy fix if there is though...
* appears to have the original paint, and it is in good shape, a few chips here and here, but pretty good... L64 K is the paint code, btw.
* no rust in front trunk, looks very good, the wood piece that goes over the spare is not original, not that anyone cares...
* the seat belt works! I've never seen one that wasn't sticky until this one!
* overall, good, solid all around...

the bad:

* the "hell hole", battery tray and below... this needs attention... there is rust there(as stated in the ad)... it looks like it's been chemically treated(to prevent more spread) but needs to be really cleaned out and fixed right... not nessacraily immediate, but it needs to be put on the list...
* rear trunk, rusty at the back, still solid, but it needs to be treated before it gets bad. a little of the rust in the pics is actually from a feeler gauge set that was trapped under the carpet, and trasfered rust to the paint... very easy to clean up.
* the top has been smoothed, and painter black with a white stripe... pretty ugly for a 99% stock looking car...
* both rocker panels showed a little rust... you'd need to pop these off and really get a look, but the car is solid enough, that I don't suspect anyhing major under there...
* the car has a short shift kit(that's not the bad part) it's very hard to get into 1st and reverse... I am 90% sure this is just an adjustment that needs to be made... but, there's a slim chance that 1st gear needs work... 2nd grinds a bit too, but nothing bad... some of it could be my lack of driving stick in a couple years(since my car has been out of commission)

neither good nor bad:

* the exhaust IS loud... I like it like that, but some people DO NOT!
* putting heat back in can be a pain to find the parts, but at least the blower is there... and it seemed to have the hoses in a bag in the trunk... if you don't want the headers, you can easily fund finding the heater parts
* the top is ugly, but tops are only like $40 used
* the shocks are good, but they are KYBs... a little rough on the old back... like KONIs on FULL FIRM
* the paint is the worst part of this car(besides the hell hole) and even then, it's a good 6-10' paint finish... like I said it appears to be original... I saw no overspray for a repaint ever... very rare on a 32 year car...
* it's a '73 1.7, but the 2.0 has been put in...

I only wish I'd have checked the elctrical better, but it has current inspection, so all headlights, tail lights and signals HAVE to work...
the pics of the car are HERE
aircooledboy
Respray (?), and not good.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (aircooledboy @ Jul 25 2005, 03:47 PM)
Respray, and not good.

huh.gif what do you see there? besides the rust... I saw that.
aircooledboy
Could be the pic, but it looks like a definite color change at the contour of the door jamb.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (aircooledboy @ Jul 25 2005, 03:53 PM)
Could be the pic, but it looks like a definite color change at the contour of the door jamb.

that must be the exposure, the paint was a solid color I saw no overspray or color shifts... I can post the full size pics tonight... but they are HUGE!!!! 2MB each

aircooledboy
this area here
tat2dphreak
I think that's the light, the dugout for the handle looks that way too... confused24.gif it could have been something I missed...
tat2dphreak
icon_bump.gif
tat2dphreak
guys, the guy wants to pick up the car at MUSR, please give any opinions. icon_bump.gif
ClayPerrine
Wayne,
Were is the car? I can go take a look at it with you......

tat2dphreak
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jul 27 2005, 09:28 AM)
Wayne,
Were is the car? I can go take a look at it with you......

it's in Plano. it looked very solid, and the buyer is very serious, I'd hate to have missed anything though...
tat2dphreak
ok, more info from the web ad:

mileage(on the rebuild is my guess): 21,124

Additional Selling Points: SELLING FAST(Sold with 2 running engines!) Modified 2056cc engine(new 2K m), ported heads, undercut stainless valves, Web cam, High volume oil pump, Counter Balance Crank, Dual 44 Webers(new), manifolds port matched to heads, Headers, Flowmaster hushpower muffler, Koni Shocks, Front sway-bar, short throw shifter, BMW Girling Brakes, S.S.DOT approved brake lines, 911 master cylinder, VDO gauges(oil pres./temp.,Amp.,fully wired for cylinder head temp.cylinder head already modified), Auto meter Air/Fuel ratio guage., EMPI External oil cooler with thermostat op. Fan, Original Fuch wheels, Full Chrome, New GT HR Goodyear tires 205/60/15, Urathane rear bushings, Mallory-Distributer- Hyfire 5 box-Promaster coil, 911 clutch(new), Optima Battery, Full receipts back 3 decades, over 11k spent on car in last three years(listed above), Original engine(boxed) with fuel injection, and exhaust parts(heat exchangers) sold with car, Custom fit Car Craft Cover.Contact me via e-mail first please.
Condition Description: Beat this!, Garage kept, No Cooling problems, very little rust problems(99% on battery tray but chassis very tight), Interior actually black(not faded black), Seats could use re-aped but not that bad. Serious inquiries only. Ideal for Auto-cross!!! can be a daily driver no Problem.

now the guy claims koni's but the rear is obviously KYBs, maybe the fronts are Koni though...

GWN7
Looks like a good solid car, except for the minor issues you have noted already. If the price is right, I'd buy it.

beerchug.gif
tat2dphreak
Clay and I are going to look at the car tomorrow... I'll get a lesson on PPI and the buyer will get ALL the info.

biggrin.gif

beer.gif
tat2dphreak
ok, Clay and I took a look today... he pointed out that you guys are correct, it IS a repaint... my bad! smile.gif

I owe you a beer, come down here to get it though! wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.