Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gas tank filler tube seal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tsvo
Hello, I have a gas smell under the hood. Lines seem good, doesn't seem to be any holes in the tank. I noticed a couple bolts were loose joining the filler tube to the tank. One will not tighten completely. (I have not looked into the cause yet) I ordered a new gasket to fit between the filler and the tank. Is there anything special I need to do to replace it or is it simply take off the bolts, remove the tube, clean the area, put on the new gasket and re-bolt the filler tube?

Do I use any sealer for the gasket?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Terry
bandjoey
do you have a charcoal filter hooked up? Hose came off? look up from under the tank to see if the fuel line is leaking?
tsvo
Will do, Thank you.

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Aug 24 2021, 12:40 PM) *

do you have a charcoal filter hooked up? Hose came off? look up from under the tank to see if the fuel line is leaking?

Jamie
QUOTE(tsvo @ Aug 24 2021, 09:28 AM) *

Hello, I have a gas smell under the hood. Lines seem good, doesn't seem to be any holes in the tank. I noticed a couple bolts were loose joining the filler tube to the tank. One will not tighten completely. (I have not looked into the cause yet) I ordered a new gasket to fit between the filler and the tank. Is there anything special I need to do to replace it or is it simply take off the bolts, remove the tube, clean the area, put on the new gasket and re-bolt the filler tube?

Regards,
Terry

Its not likely you would have fumes coming from the top of the tank. Most likely coming from further down such as connections at the bottom of the tank, or charcoal canister. confused24.gif
76-914
No gasket sealer req'd. It's very straight forward. Check the threads on that one bolt that won't tighten up before reassembling. Also, start each bolt by hand before snugging any of them down. Be sure the gasket in the gas cap is good and that the nipple off the throat for the vent line is connected. If you still smell gas do as others suggested and check connections on vent line. Also crawl beneath and visually inspect the connections with a flashlight on the bottom of the tank thru the opening beneath the fuel tank. This should be done when the tank is full incase there are any pinholes on the upper part of the tank. beerchug.gif
tsvo
Thanks for the input.
QUOTE(Jamie @ Aug 24 2021, 06:30 PM) *

QUOTE(tsvo @ Aug 24 2021, 09:28 AM) *

Regards,
Terry

Its not likely you would have fumes coming from the top of the tank. Most likely coming from further down such as connections at the bottom of the tank, or charcoal canister. confused24.gif

tsvo
Great advice, thank you for the description and details, they are a big help.

QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 24 2021, 06:56 PM) *

No gasket sealer req'd. It's very straight forward. Check the threads on that one bolt that won't tighten up before reassembling. Also, start each bolt by hand before snugging any of them down. Be sure the gasket in the gas cap is good and that the nipple off the throat for the vent line is connected. If you still smell gas do as others suggested and check connections on vent line. Also crawl beneath and visually inspect the connections with a flashlight on the bottom of the tank thru the opening beneath the fuel tank. This should be done when the tank is full incase there are any pinholes on the upper part of the tank. beerchug.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.