Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question for you 993 3.6 guys
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Steve
I read that the 993 exhaust head studs are backwards and you need to swap them to make them work with 914-6 headers. Is this true? Kind of nice that the holes are already drilled, so you can move them.
Click to view attachment
mb911
You could probably leave them in there. That said the passenger side heat exchanger is a bit harder to put on so any room you can save yourself the better. Only 1 side needs to be swapped
Steve
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 25 2021, 04:44 PM) *

You could probably leave them in there. That said the passenger side heat exchanger is a bit harder to put on so any room you can save yourself the better. Only 1 side needs to be swapped

Thanks Ben!
What side does do the studs need to be swapped?
Krieger
Do yourself a favor and put new studs in. Your future self will be happy you did.
SirAndy
It's been way too long but if i recall correctly there were a few spots were McMark opted to use allen bolts instead of studs because we couldn't get a socket on them.
idea.gif
mb911
QUOTE(Steve @ Aug 26 2021, 05:06 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 25 2021, 04:44 PM) *

Thanks Ben!
What side does do the studs need to be swapped?

You know I can't recall off the top of my head.
Maltese Falcon
At one point in the early c2/c4 993 days, we actually built the header sets with the Passenger side flip-flopped port flanges @Steve . We obsoleted the special header... and just instructed the installer re-clock the studs to regular 911 location. 993 header on top of box is the (normal 911 flange) Passenger side ; the set on the ground has its header flanges arranged in the 993 flip-flopped fashion.
Click to view attachment
Steve
Thanks Marty!!
Maltese Falcon
Great meet up with you today @Steve over at the shop, lots of news going on since Rennsport 6 !
Your 3.6L proj will bring many smiles per gallon biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment
Steve
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Sep 4 2021, 05:18 PM) *

Great meet up with you today @Steve over at the shop, lots of news going on since Rennsport 6 !
Your 3.6L proj will bring many smiles per gallon biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment

Thanks Marty!! Nice catching up with you today!

Some background between Marty and I. In my early 20's, back in the early 80's, i used to read the VW&Porsche magazine. I drooled over the MSDS hidden Power 1 & 2 articles about Marty's black 914-6 turbo car. As soon as I got out of college in 1986, my plan was to buy another 914, knowing that I was going to immediately convert it to a six. I bought a used 2.7 short block, brand new webers from PMO for $1k and Marty gave me a killer package deal on his 1 5/8" headers, muffler and cross bar motor mount. The rest I bought from Porsche over the counter. Oil tank, lines and tin and some parts from Easy. The car was running by 1987 and I was having a blast in it all over northern California, with some hide speed runs between San Jose and my parents house in Sun City in So Cal.
I met my future wife cruising the avenue in this car in Stockton back in 1989.
In this picture, back in 1989, I was running the 2.7 with Marty's headers, motor mount and muffler.
I have the same car today, but it's now flared, Alaska Blue and future 3.6 with Marty's 1 3/4" headers. Thanks again Marty for the memories and getting me into this hobby!
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Always a pleasure @Steve chatting with you & glad that this 914 avocation has stuck with you !
Imagine back 30 sumptin' years how we got things done without the www, cell phones, cars + coffee, Zoom (your Fave) ; just some local car shows, an article here or there, and a 3 page brochure biggrin.gif
See you around the canyons soon driving.gif

Steve
Back in the 80’s when I built my first six all I had was a 914 and 911 Haynes manual. Now it’s all on the web.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.