Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: BMW 3.0CS E9 PPI needed in the Charlottesville, VA area
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tygaboy
My offer was accepted and pending a "successful" PPI, I'll be the proud new owner of one of my all time dream cars.

Anyone know of an E9-knowledgeable shop or person in or near the Charlottesville, VA area?

For those who like the stories behind car ownership, read on:
Records (lots of them) seem to indicate it's a two-owner CA car. It's been with its current owner for 20+ years and he relocated it from CA to NC.
This owner is my customer-turned-boss; he hired me into the job from which I ultimately retired. I was working for him when he bought the E9 and it joined his garage, next to his two 2002s. So yes, a Bimmer head!
Over the years, I said to him many times, "if you ever sell "the Coupe", as he called it, I'd like first right of refusal."
Well, he called yesterday and said "You want it? It's yours." How could I NOT buy it, right? biggrin.gif

Sorry for the crappy pics. The car isn't garaged at the owner's home so a non-car person shot these for us yesterday.

Details:
'- 74 (yes, a BUB car but that's easily corrected)
- Originally Fjord blue, repainted in the original color
- Auto trans , but again, also easily corrected!
- Sunroof
- Under 100k miles
- tons of records
- always garaged, not driven in rain.
- pics would indicate it's as rust free as these come

Barring some horrible PPI surprise that's somehow been missed over the past 20 years, if my 914 isn't running again by WCR, you may see me in this!

Thanks for any help with a PPI referral!
BillJ
Charlottesville VA?
tygaboy
QUOTE(BillJ @ Aug 26 2021, 08:16 AM) *

Charlottesville VA?

@BillJ - Hey, it was early in CA when I originally posted. So yes, VA.
Thanks for the correction!
rick 918-S
Former BMW enthusiast. Always wanted an E9 . Be careful those cars rusted anyplace there is a fold or bend in the metal. 74 may be better than the early cars.
tygaboy
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Aug 26 2021, 08:53 AM) *

Former BMW enthusiast. Always wanted an E9 . Be careful those cars rusted anyplace there is a fold or bend in the metal. 74 may be better than the early cars.

@rick 918-S - Thanks for the input. Yep, I've been lusting after an E9 for years and have a pretty good idea what to look for. Seems we both have a passion for cars known for rust! Over the last couple years, I looked closely at buying two others and passed on them both.

To that point, if I didn't know the current owner and his 20+ year history with the car, I'd likely not even be thinking about buying one. I'll let you know how this turns out...
willieg
Had an opportunity to buy an E9, with a 3.0 M3 engine. Where there wasn’t rust, there was air. But so beautiful.
markhoward
Chris, I am so stoked that you are getting this! Can't wait to talk you into letting me take it for a spin. Hope you are keeping the seat beads. They are making a comeback.
burton73
My very favorite color for interior (cork) and Blue Metallic exterior. I loved this car in the early 80s not your car but sample of color

Sorry I did not paint my 6 this color

Bob B
Click to view attachment
Bullethead
Congratulations, that is a beauty! If you haven't checked out info sources already, join here: https://e9coupe.com/ There's probably a member in the area willing to look at the car for you.

I've owned five E9s and two 2000CS coupes. Just sold our last one, a sunroof '72 Euro 3.0CS in Baikal on Bat... and last September, my '72 CSL was purchased by the guy I bought it from 27 years ago. Full circle.
They are beautiful and robust mechanically, but rust as bad as anything Karmann ever built, including teeners. Mitigation is the only way to keep one long-term, and if you are lucky enough to find a good one to start, kudos.

The cork interior looks terrific, the wood looks custom so more pics are appreciated. smilie_pokal.gif Good score, enjoy it!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.