Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fiberglass door skin install questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
john77
In stripping my car back to bare metal I found a ton of bondo on both doors slathered over some serious damage, so I picked up a set of fiberglass door skins from 914rubber.

Metal work I can do, so removing the old door skins won't be a problem, but bonding fiberglass to metal is new to me.

Can anyone with experience recommend the best type of adhesive for this?

Also, what do you do when it comes to working the panels to get the gaps even? With metal I'd just mig or tig more material to the edge of the door and grind it down until the gap is even, so I'm a little lost when it comes to FG - is there some kind of filler type resin you can use to add material without it simply cracking off the first time the edge of the door catches something?

I also want to refurb the window mechanisms while I have them out as they look pretty crappy and are covered in surface rust. What's the best way to refinish them? I seem to remember reading somewhere that CAD plating isn't the way to go because of all the moving parts that can't be disassembled, or did I imagine that?
Root_Werks
A shop bonded glass flares to metal on a 914 for me years ago using some sort of epoxy. There is some crazy strong bonding materials out there today. Would almost think if you searched for body panel bonding, something would come up.

For window mechs, depends on how fancy you want to get with something no one will see. Me, just clean up and paint. Protect from rust, done.
Mikey914
Check with your local autobody paint supply house. You should have a few options. I'm sure they can get you an appropriate product you can walk out the door with.
nivekdodge
3m 8115. It bonds fiberglass, aluminum and steel.

I haven't opened my doors up yet but i just pulled them off and put them aside. What the heck is in there that weighs so much? Has anyone removed the side gaurd beam?
raw1298
3M 8115 panel bond adhesive.
brant
QUOTE(nivekdodge @ Mar 27 2022, 09:45 AM) *

3m 8115. It bonds fiberglass, aluminum and steel.

I haven't opened my doors up yet but i just pulled them off and put them aside. What the heck is in there that weighs so much? Has anyone removed the side gaurd beam?

doors are heavy.
the glass is all of the weight.

our metal doors on the race car were gutted and an aluminum interior door panel was made to give a nicer, more finished look.

17lbs. with hinges and latch mechanism after lightening work.

mepstein
The door beams add quite a bit of weight. I haven’t weighed the early and later door shells side by side but I’ve picked up enough of them to know it’s a significant difference.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.