Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speedo doesn't want to pull out of dash cluster
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DC_neun_vierzehn
I have a '73 2.0.

I was able to pull 2 of the 3 gauges in the cluster to replace the lights that illuminate the gauges at night. However, when I try to pull the speedo it does not want to come out. It seems to have significant resistance. I'm able to pull it out about an inch, but I'm afraid that if I pull any harder I could break something or cause myself a headache.

Is the speedo cable on the back of it need to be removed from under the dash before I can pull it out?

Other tips?

Also, the center console gauges don't pull out right? What is the best technique to removing those to replace the lights in them?

Thanks in advance.
robby750
Yes, remove the cable.
76-914
As well as the odometer reset cable. beerchug.gif
windforfun
Watch out for sharp edges!

beer3.gif
Steve
The speedo cable is also held in place under the dash. If you pop the cable out from the tab, you should have more cable to work with.
bbrock
QUOTE(Steve @ Aug 26 2021, 02:59 PM) *

The speedo cable is also held in place under the dash. If you pop the cable out from the tab, you should have more cable to work with.

That's what I do. First pull the cable out of the tabs where it runs down the bulkhead. Then you can pull the gauge out far enough to reach the back of the gauge to unscrew the speedo cable and pull out the odometer cable as suggested above.
FlacaProductions
Center gauges pull out as well but you may be able to reach around to the top corner of the gauge panel and push it out. It's just friction fit. Then you can see the back of all the gauges without having to pull them all separately.
DC_neun_vierzehn
Thanks all!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.