Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Headlight actuating motor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Speedo
Bench tested my headlight motors and they worked fine. Now assembled into the car they are unresponsive when I try to power the motors to adjust the throw. there are only three spades...red-green and grey. With aux 12v to the red, alternating the ground between my green and grey should work the headlight up and down. I have 12v to the red, but zero response from the motor. I tried connecting the ground to red and alternating the 12v between the green and grey and nada. What am I doing wrong?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Speedo @ Aug 29 2021, 12:45 PM) *

Bench tested my headlight motors and they worked fine. Now assembled into the car they are unresponsive when I try to power the motors to adjust the throw. there are only three spades...red-green and grey. With aux 12v to the red, alternating the ground between my green and grey should work the headlight up and down. I have 12v to the red, but zero response from the motor. I tried connecting the ground to red and alternating the 12v between the green and grey and nada. What am I doing wrong?

Stupid question, do you have the relays in the sockets?
idea.gif

SirAndy

There is no up/down for the motor, it only turns one way ...
popcorn[1].gif
SirAndy
Wires for the headlight motor should be green/black, gray and black.

Item (62) in this diagram
Item (50) are the relays
Item (11) the headlights

Speedo
Wires for the headlight motor should be green/black, gray and black.

Item (62) in this diagram
Item (50) are the relays
Item (11) the headlights

So my car is a six, and the wires are red, green/black and gray...would that matter?
I checked the wiring in my son's 72 1.7 and his colors are the same as mine. Maybe I have two bad relays by coincidence?
jcaps
QUOTE(Speedo @ Aug 29 2021, 12:45 PM) *

I just tested mine...

In the 3 spade connector you apply+12V to the red and alternate +12V to the green and grey (not ground). There is a seperate spade connector for the ground.

Speedo
[/quote]I just tested mine...

In the 3 spade connector you apply+12V to the red and alternate +12V to the green and grey (not ground). There is a seperate spade connector for the ground.
[/quote]

Bingo...both work. Thank you! Now I can adjust and mount the headlight covers and brow and hood.
Speedo
Meanwhile, Bullethead supplied me with a decent suspension cover that needed some love. Metal worked it a bit, took it down to bare steel and treated, primed and painted in satin black. A little bit of love with new edges from 914Rubber and we are good!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.